Ok, so I still have my Squier Strat that I have had for about 6 months of playing, and I finally saved up enough money to move up. I am looking for a new guitar between the $500 and $700, but maybe $800.

I like to play everything from Fleetwood Mac, to Creedence Clear Water Revival, to AC/DC, to Metallica. I am not really into death metal or really deep metal such as Slayer or Slipknot.

If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out by posting them here.

Thanks to everyone who helps!
What's your current amp? It might be worth it to get a new amp first.
BEEP

<_<

>_>

Beeeeeeeeep
So i take it you have a 15 watt Fender amp since you have the squier?

Well you really, I MEAN really should get a new amp instead If you have the little fender, but im not sure what you have.
as usual, u gotta try em out
but may i suggest a guitar with splitable pickups
that way u can get the cleaner single coil tones
and still keep that humbucker sounds
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
I would definately put at least $200 of that money towards a new amp. After that you should have about $500 left, I would look at an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
Strats & Seagulls
Yeah, I'd say a Les Paul is right up your alley
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
I would definately put at least $200 of that money towards a new amp. After that you should have about $500 left, I would look at an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

$200 is still a pretty crappy amp. Look at the Peavey Valveking 112. That's a decent tube amp under $500 and it would suit your style. Save up and get a decent Epi LP for around $600. Remember, most guitar shops will haggle on the price.
Sorry for asking here, but why is it more important to get a good amp before getting a good guitar ?
great amp - crappy guitar is better sounding than crappy amp - great guitar ?
I must stop wasting time in The Pit and practice!
Quote by Avengethedeath
So i take it you have a 15 watt Fender amp since you have the squier?

Well you really, I MEAN really should get a new amp instead If you have the little fender, but im not sure what you have.

Yes that is what I have, and I might be getting a new amp for my birthday from my parents, but I have to pay for the guitar. 2 of my friends have the Line 6 Spider III amps, but I am not sure if I should get it or not. Also, I am not sure if I would need a 75W or a 120W?
Quote by KG6_Steven
$200 is still a pretty crappy amp. Look at the Peavey Valveking 112. That's a decent tube amp under $500 and it would suit your style. Save up and get a decent Epi LP for around $600. Remember, most guitar shops will haggle on the price.

He is a beginner, so I don't think a tube amp would be nescessary, since I doubt he will be gigging(Correct me if I'm wrong, TS). I'd say he should look at a Vypyr 15 or a Cube 20. Both pretty good amps (obviously not as good as the Valveking, But a lot cheaper).
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by smaniato
Sorry for asking here, but why is it more important to get a good amp before getting a good guitar ?

So true..
''I just like breakdowns..''
Quote by KG6_Steven

$200 will get him a Vyper

Awesome practise amps!

then spend the other $500 on an epi LP or SG..

Im british, so the prices confsue me.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
ifi had that cash id probably get Jackson or Ibanez. maybe gibson if you could find one for that cash. you should check out guitar stores and find out what works best for you.

and you should check out smaller marshall amps or Line 6.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Last edited by Silver-spear94 at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by Silver-spear94
ifi had that cash id probably get Jackson or Ibanez. maybe gibson if you could find one for that cash. you should check out guitar stores and find out what works best for you.

and you should check out smaller marshall amps or Line 6.

Yea, I was at GC yesterday, and I was looking at some Iabnez's. I was looking for the RGT42DX, but they did not have it.

Since it seems like most people are suggesting mostly Epi LP's (which is fine) does anyone have any information about that specific Ibanez, or any other Ibanez's?
get this-

http://

Get the one with the Seymour Duncuns, it can do everything you are looking for, it's only 699, no tax, free shipping. You have 800, you can put the other 100 aside and start saving for a new amp. Since cubes and vyprs are cheap, it shouldn't take too long to get the new amp and you'll have a killer guitar in the meantime.
I would look at an Ibanez ART300. Then you have quite a bit of money, for a great amp set up.

That guitar will be good for what you like to play and it will produce amazing tones. Especially if you use the rest of your money to get a good amp.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
Quote by smaniato

Basically, yes. The amp makes up 90% of your tone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Basically, yes. The amp makes up 90% of your tone.

90%? Sure, it takes the majority, but I'd say Amp: 60%, Pickups: 25%, Wood: 10%, Strings: 5%
Strats & Seagulls
http://michaelkellyguitars.com/electrics.html
almost all of their guitars are in your price range, check out the patriots or valor's i suggest, most of their guitars are equipped with rockfield pickups too, you just have to read the specs to make sure though
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
90%? Sure, it takes the majority, but I'd say Amp: 60%, Pickups: 25%, Wood: 10%, Strings: 5%

Depends on the amp really, 90% may have been a bit of an over extension but it really does change depending on how good your amp is; better amps will be much more responsive to changes in other gear.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Depends on the amp really, 90% may have been a bit of an over extension but it really does change depending on how good your amp is; better amps will be much more responsive to changes in other gear.

True, true.
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by Knoknonhvnsdoor
Yes that is what I have, and I might be getting a new amp for my birthday from my parents, but I have to pay for the guitar. 2 of my friends have the Line 6 Spider III amps, but I am not sure if I should get it or not. Also, I am not sure if I would need a 75W or a 120W?

Don't get a line 6 spider...get a peavey vypyr. Same price same thing just better.

As for guitars...prob epiphone lp standard.
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w