I'm pretty sure we've all been there...you dial in your tone and you're in heaven. The next day you turn the amp on, and it sounds thin and ****ty.

I'm having one of those days, and its annoying. Its rediculous really, nothing has changed yet the amp sounded so much better yesterday.

Anyone have a theory about this?
WTLTL 2011
tubes not warm enough?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Haha I highly doubt its the amp, I had new tubes installed, biased, my solders and wiring checked, pots cleaned and everything thuroughly tested for 4 hours by a pro. This amp is extremely stable and biased pretty hot.

Just adds to my confusion
WTLTL 2011
Same thing here.

The most probable and simplest answer could be the strings.

Other than that im stuck what else could it be.
I've incurred this crazy crap b4 aswell. I just make sure my guitar is in tune and make sure all the knobs are where i want em for the tone i like.

Some days i just think (if the guitar is in tune and everything looks fine and the tubes are warm etc) that i just dont feel the same way i did when i established the tone so i have a different opinion of it depending on my mood.

may sound a bit strange! but yeah thats what i think
i think the first time you get a new decent tone, you're really excited about hearing it, or just hearing it with a new song.

then when you're away, you build it up in your mind to be better than it really is, and when you go back and play again with such high expectations, you're let down.

mostly psychological i think. unless something's horribly off with your tone.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Eric Johnson would no doubt attribute the change in your tone to the slightly higher concentration of sea birds in the skies today.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Room acoustics, atmospheric conditions, tube temperatures, ambient temp are my best guesses.

I've noticed that it doesn't happen with SS amps though, only tube, and I actually started taking recordings and comparing them to see if it was just in my head or if it was really happening. I took a series of recordings over the course of a week with the exact same settings, and there were definite changes in how it sounded each day. It was never quite as drastic a change as my ear percieved, but still there were quite noticeable differences in the tone.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
i think the first time you get a new decent tone, you're really excited about hearing it, or just hearing it with a new song.

then when you're away, you build it up in your mind to be better than it really is, and when you go back and play again with such high expectations, you're let down.

mostly psychological i think. unless something's horribly off with your tone.

I've had weird experiences like this as well, & I think Jon nailed it. You think you've hit the be-all/end-all tone, so you're expectations are sky-high when you flip it on again.
This actually happens to me more often than I'd care to admit.
Other than this, I'd just say lay off the beer & chronic .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by timi_hendrix
Eric Johnson would no doubt attribute the change in your tone to the slightly higher concentration of sea birds in the skies today.

hahahaha

personally, with me it generally depends what i've been listening too earlier that day. if i play one of my brighter guitars first (or use the amp on rough mode rather than smooth first), then when i switch to a warmer guitar/smooth mode, it sounds way too warm. but if i started the other way round, if i switched to a brighter guitar or rough mode, it'd sound way too bright. i tend to get used to the tone i'm currently using, in other words. bit like the way you get used to anything... i think it's an evolutionary safety mechanism, stuff which is always there but not threatening, you tune out... e.g. you don't feel the clothes you're wearing, but would feel a spider crawling up your arm, that type of thing.

I assume it's similar with your ears; i could be wrong, of course.

also, the more damaged your ears get, the more treble you'll need to add, so that could play a part too.

different atmospheric conditions? i guess that could play a part...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hahahaha

personally, with me it generally depends what i've been listening too earlier that day. if i play one of my brighter guitars first (or use the amp on rough mode rather than smooth first), then when i switch to a warmer guitar/smooth mode, it sounds way too warm. but if i started the other way round, if i switched to a brighter guitar or rough mode, it'd sound way too bright. i tend to get used to the tone i'm currently using, in other words. bit like the way you get used to anything... i think it's an evolutionary safety mechanism, stuff which is always there but not threatening, you tune out... e.g. you don't feel the clothes you're wearing, but would feel a spider crawling up your arm, that type of thing.

I assume it's similar with your ears; i could be wrong, of course.

also, the more damaged your ears get, the more treble you'll need to add, so that could play a part too.

different atmospheric conditions? i guess that could play a part...

A combination of habituation, atmospheric conditions and ear damage? Right now my vote is going toward atmospheric conditions...I'm freezing my balls off
WTLTL 2011
Quote by timi_hendrix

Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by Mark G
A combination of habituation, atmospheric conditions and ear damage? Right now my vote is going toward atmospheric conditions...I'm freezing my balls off

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've definatly had this happen to me, and yes it does happen with SS amps too. I think its mostly psychological but the difference in weather plays a role too.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by riffhog
I've had weird experiences like this as well, & I think Jon nailed it. You think you've hit the be-all/end-all tone, so you're expectations are sky-high when you flip it on again.
This actually happens to me more often than I'd care to admit.
Other than this, I'd just say lay off the beer & chronic .

happens to me all the time too.

thought i had an awesome andy timmons "electric gypsy" tone the first time i played it... now not so much

and beer&chronic ftw.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
This has a lot to do with the room you are in.

I've never really had a day like you are. But I do know that some days I feel that I play like absolute ****, and the next day I feel like I can solo-off with Satriani.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Jan 10, 2009,
this hasnt happened with me. yet.
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something