So my bassist an i are playing the talent show at our school
we're playing DevilDriver's Head on to Heartache
we want to be LOUD so I'm gonna use my full stack which i think is 300 watts total

(if your going to say that we don't "need" this much power than leave)

and were gonna rent a bass amp today, my question is. What brand is best for metal, and how many watts will be enough?
It's a school talent show.

And you really don't need that much power.

On topic however, you may want to look into Gallien Krueger, I've heard they make good stuff.
Last edited by AA00P at Jan 10, 2009,
lol it worked

If you can try them out first then do, we can't tell what amp he's gonna want. I dont know much about what amps are good for metal but some good names are:

Hartke
Ashdown
Acoustic
Eden
Markbass
Gallien Krueger

For wattage, (assuming your 300 watts is SS) you'll want around 600 at the least. If you have a good PA you could go for less.

Quote by AA00P
It's a school talent show.

And you really don't need that much power.

+∞
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Jan 10, 2009,
I'm not going to lie, the thought of two people playing metal at a talent with a 300 stack for guitar and at least a 300 stack for bass made me smile. and when I thought about the poor people who aren't expecting the volume(especially if it's going through the PA) made chuckle.

I've heard Eden make good metal amps. I know Acoustic used to be really good for hard rock, I'm not sure how the new ones stack up though.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Mesa/Boogie and Ampeg are your go-to amps for hard rock/metal.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
You don't need that much power, you will just be annoyingly loud. And we all know how people love that ringing in their ears.

It's juvenile, play with the appropriate volume.
Last edited by watchingmefall at Jan 10, 2009,
to the guy above me **** off... i love this idea playing metal with a full stack should be awesome. as for amps i would go with ampeg i have a 810 and it owns just about every other amp out there. [ in metal atleast]
this is awesome blow the school away lol you may not win cause of it but it be f*cken' fun and look into mesa there bloody loud and full metal just make sure u get one with alot of watts maybe an m-6 carbine and a huge 6x10 cabinet

btw what is your guitar rigg if its at 300 watts
Keep On Keepen' On
Last edited by JessyB96 at Jan 10, 2009,
If you have no drummer, you have no need for mass wattage. As Raul said, play with an appropriate volume. Far too many times have I seen people try and just overwhelm with volume, and it simply comes off as noise, them thiking they're being metulz, and everyone else thinking that they're just arrogant OTT gimps. You aren't really competing with much, so you won't need that much volume.

You won't need an 810. Overkill as far as I'm concerned. And a bitch to transport. Something with a 410 and a 115 would probably be better.

And whoever told Raul to **** off... have a warning on me.
200 watts. cause there is no way your gonna play on max for 300 watts.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
but really, does anyone playing DevilDriver at a school tallent shop NOT want it to melt into noise?
i fully support using too much wattage and injuring bystanders, go forth and **** **** up man.

how ever, if you're aiming for a PERFORMANCE of MUSIC then you're on the WHOLE wrong track there.
with EVERYTHING
300 watts would also make you guys plus everyone nearby deaf.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
I guess its a school concert hall or gym your playing, you could probably use 100 watts and him 200 watts. You have overkill there and nothing else, Plus go find a decent drummer to keep you all in time.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
300 watt for guitar is CRAZY loud.

For a school auditorium with PA, even a 100 watt would do...
Just ask the sound people to tweak with it.
first, I agree with bringing the amps. the effect of having a wall of amps is priceless. but making it look like you don't give a f*** is not the same as not giving a f***, I know a guy who got suspended for practicing his trumpet by teachers lounge. they do care.
and it is quite useless.
now if you look like you're loud, that is all you need. people will think you're louder than you really are, without you actually playing that loud. when you see that wall of Marshall cabs at a concert, only about 4 are being used, the other 50 are just show. think about that.

get an 8x10. hide a 4x10 behind it, or a 1x15 next to it. keep the volume on yours low, but keep the full stack.

Acoustic, Carvin, Mesa Boogie, Ampeg, Trace Elliot- they can all get a good tone. it depends on the guy and what he wants really. Ampeg will be very good however. cheap, looks loud, sounds loud, but spend the extra for an SVT. really.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
get an 8x10. hide a 4x10 behind it, or a 1x15 next to it. keep the volume on yours low, but keep the full stack.

Or, instead of renting an extra cab, he could...uh... I don't know, use his volume knob.
If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.
-- Frank Zappa, The Real Frank Zappa Book
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you have no drummer, you have no need for mass wattage. As Raul said, play with an appropriate volume. Far too many times have I seen people try and just overwhelm with volume, and it simply comes off as noise, them thiking they're being metulz, and everyone else thinking that they're just arrogant OTT gimps. You aren't really competing with much, so you won't need that much volume.

You won't need an 810. Overkill as far as I'm concerned. And a bitch to transport. Something with a 410 and a 115 would probably be better.

And whoever told Raul to **** off... have a warning on me.

He has a warning from me too, except I'm not a mod
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by tippr34
Or, instead of renting an extra cab, he could...uh... I don't know, use his volume knob.

the purpose is the look, like spandex and twisted socks.

it's not even gonna be plugged into the 8x10.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

yue guess is as good as mine....... Amps are not my forte...
tHefLAminGMuNchkIn
Quote by Munchkin#1
yue guess is as good as mine....... Amps are not my forte...

why post? it isn't a requirement.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Don't really see the point of the volume, man. It's at TALENT show. Meaning, a show of your talents. ANYONE can rent a big amp and play loud. Its not a talent.

But rent an Ampeg 8x10 and some sorta tube head. Practically ever metal guy today uses those. Plus, they shake stuff like nothing else.

EDIT: LOL nevermind. The Ampeg would blow your Crate out of the water.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Last edited by Incubus_SCIENCE at Jan 11, 2009,
You seem like the standard metal head kind of guy who thinks he knows everything about amps because he plays guitar. Your kind ain't welcome here, boy.
But, on topic, I like Gallien Krueger.
Quote by Underjoggle
Mesa/Boogie and Ampeg are your go-to amps for hard rock/metal.

+1
I agree though. 300 Watt Guitar is overkill for a talent show but I also recommend at least a 600 watt bass amp to accompany it.
look for an amp that can run at 2 ohms. then get 4 8ohm cabinets with two jacks on the back of each in parallel. Two full stacks from one head. METAL!
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Kids.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
i should mention that peavey makes a bass tube amp that can run at 2 ohms. the peavey vb-2. I own it. it's quite nice.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu