Whats the differences between the Fender Standard Strat and the Fender American Standard Strat(NOT the Spuier strat or American Deluxe Strat just the Standard and American Standard). whats the difference in sound and hardware and wood and everything. on musicians friend i can get the standard for 15 a month comes with a gig bag and the american standard i can get for 30 a month and comes with a hardshell case.
standards are made in mexico and are lesser quality and a thinner neck
R.I.P. Kurt Cobain 1967-1994
i have an american but i was going to get just a standard but i was told i should go with the american cause thier built better
Tone can be just as good as an American Strat. Remember, no two guitars will produce the same tone. Slight variations in the wood can create slight nuances in the tone. Play both and see which one makes you smile more.
a very good MIM strat (mine) will play as good as an american, they're just hard to find. I played about 15 MIM strats before I bought mine. I bought it because it played much better than all the others (not that the others were bad). I don't love the finish (midnight wine with rosewood fingerboard) I would much rather a maple fingerboard, with a lighter colour/natural finish. But I would rather an amazing playing guitar than a nice looking one really.

You have to try a bunch and ask yourself is an MIA strat worth that much more than an MIM? or would an MIM + electronic/hardware upgrades surpase the MIA in quality?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by TargetHHH101
standards are made in mexico and are lesser quality and a thinner neck

i knew that the standards were made in mexico...... how much thinner is the neck cause i dont want a super thick neck?
how much better are the electronics? o and i cant go and try them out theres know guitar shops around here. the closest i can get is my buddy hes got a mexican tele
Quote by Diablo52
i knew that the standards were made in mexico...... how much thinner is the neck cause i dont want a super thick neck?

not much? I really wasn't aware of a difference. Although, I have a fat 50's neck on my Gibson SG, and it doesn't bug me going back to my strat's thin neck.

EDIT:
Quote by Diablo52
how much better are the electronics? o and i cant go and try them out theres know guitar shops around here. the closest i can get is my buddy hes got a mexican tele

The MIM electronics are pretty good.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
The quality of the electronics, the quality of the wood (arent MIM made from layers of wood glued together instead of one solid piece like American?)...the rolled finger board edges on the American are really awesome. The American has a higher quality finish on the fretboard as well. Overall I think you can really "feel" the difference between the two guitars when playing....not as much sound, but definitely feel. It was more than enough difference to convince me to get the American. They have the absolute easiest neck to play IMO of any guitar.
for an extra 15 a month, i'd just go for the American.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by GuitarDTO
The quality of the electronics, the quality of the wood (arent MIM made from layers of wood glued together instead of one solid piece like American?)...the rolled finger board edges on the American are really awesome. The American has a higher quality finish on the fretboard as well. Overall I think you can really "feel" the difference between the two guitars when playing....not as much sound, but definitely feel. It was more than enough difference to convince me to get the American. They have the absolute easiest neck to play IMO of any guitar.

I don't think Americans are one piece of wood, either. They are probably 2 (don't quote me on this) whereas a Mexican would be 5.
Not to mention the resell on American is lightyears better....
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
The diffrence between American Standard and Standard is that Fender Strat Standard is more like good old Stratocaster. Standard had 21 frets (22 in American), tremolo with 6 bolts (American with 2, and I've heard that tremolo's with 6 bolts are more stabile) and standard Fender pickups (Alnico V in American). Also American Standard got another neck shape and a thinner finish (this makes resonance better). That's the (technical) difference. I haven't played on American so I can't tell how it sounds.
Last edited by Krzychuzokecia at Jan 28, 2009,