Page 1 of 2
seriously.
i dont get the difference between black metal and death metal, melodic black metal and melodic death metal. i was just listening to profugus mortis, which is tagged as melodic black in lastfm, they sound like children of bodom, which is labelled melodic death. im a total metal noob, any help that would make me understand better is appreciated
It's pretty much just in the way they dress.... black metal will usually have crappier vocals though.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Quote by humperdunk
It's pretty much just in the way they dress.... black metal will usually have crappier vocals though.

No. Incorrect.

Listen to Immortal and then listen to Morbid Angel.

Compare and contrast.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Real death metal is like Cannibal Corpse, Vader, Morbid Angel and Death.

Real black metal is stuff like Emperor, Immortal, Marduk and Mayhem.

If you listen to it you'll be able to hear a difference. Death metal has a really heavy sound to it and generally uses the death grunts. Black metal isn't as heavy and has a atmospheric feel to it. (I couldn't think of a better word.)

Also, don't trust Lastfm genre labels...

Black Metal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvlSTL4FOzg

Death Metal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oZ85Sf14-Y&feature=related
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Last edited by Slaytanic6606 at Jan 10, 2009,
That's because Profugus Mortis aren't black metal.
For melodic black metal listen to Dissection, Vinterland, Sacramentum, and Dawn.
Last edited by dminishedthingy at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by humperdunk

Dear God.....

Ok,

Cannibal Corpse for Death Metal
Emperor for Black Metal
Arch Enemy for Melodic Death Metal
I don't know any Melodic Black Metal bands.

It's mainly the difference between Death and Black....The melodic part is pretty straight forward, it has more melody.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Lyrics and vocals. Black metal sounds sort of evil while death is straight on brutal... Often black metal use solely minor chord progressions which gives it the characteristic sound.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Dear God.....

Ok,

Cannibal Corpse for Death Metal
Emperor for Black Metal
Arch Enemy for Melodic Death Metal

It's mainly the difference between Death and Black....The melodic part is pretty straight forward, it has more melody.

I always thought cannibal corpse was supposed to be grindcore or something.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Quote by BladeSlinger

Vinterland, Azazel, Artefact
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by humperdunk

What the **** is wrong with you?

EDIT: Oh, I know Artefact
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
black metal has higher pitched vocals
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

humperdunk doesn't even know metal and he is gonna try to tell someone the difference between genre's. GTFO noob
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
imo black metal's lyrics are more about evil fantasy **** like monsters etc. lol
and death metal(i.e. hammer smashed face, i will kill you, **** like that) is more about killing and grosser ****... but thats my opinion and now ill prolly get flamed -.-
Quote by humperdunk

Funny

*nekrokastrates*

I did it just for you, Webbie!

EDIT: This goes for every fail post (all of them, save for maybe 3 or 4) in this thread.

As for the difference, if you don't already know you don't deserve to know.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
lyrics shouldn't really be used to determine the genre of a band.

I guess some genres have a general universal theme to their lyrics but theres always bands that are way off.
my god... such an easy question... such bad answers...

Black metal and Death Metal's intentions are different, for starters. Death Metal is more focused on the music, while Black Metal is more about the ideas behind the music.

For Example: Lots of Death Metal is trying to be "br00tal" while lots of Black Metal is trying to be "kvlt." (Kvlt means a whole range of different things, to the # of views on Myspace to the actions of the band).

Black Metal has "shrieking" vocals, while Death Metal has "grunts," although higher pitched vocals are also used.

Black Metal usually has very very raw production, yet remains atmospheric, giving it another distinguishing quality.

Black Metal: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DgrO9dTy2fU&feature=related
Death Metal: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lJERkL8Qmyg

Melodic Death Metal and Melodic Black Metal are also different in most of the same aspects, except for the production is normally good in both of these genres.

Melodic Black Metal: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_Van5c-ZZ6E
Melodic Death Metal: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAm-_sOEvg&feature=related
There's a troll in the dungeon!

Anyways, Death metal is heavier and usually techinically demanding(lots of time signatures), can be extremely fast and focuses more on the instruments. Black metal focuses alot on atmosphere and is generally simpler in instrumentation(song structure is still usually weird though) and uses more tremolo picking. Black metal also tends to have more vocal diversity aswell, IMO.
Quote by fowles06
lyrics shouldn't really be used to determine the genre of a band.

I guess some genres have a general universal theme to their lyrics but theres always bands that are way off.

I disagree because it does matter in Hardcore, maybe not in metal though i don't know enough of it .

I don't get all the people saying they're basically the same thing. That's basically the equivalent of me saying Jazz and Blues are the same genre.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
I don't get all the people saying they're basically the same thing. That's basically the equivalent of me saying Jazz and Blues are the same genre.

I find it especially hilarious that this whole thread was started by someone new to metal who was merely confused by mislabeling on lastfm, but now it's filled with idiotic statements from people who actually think they know what they're talking about.
Yeah.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Black Metal is like Slipknot (get the self titled), System of A Down (Steal This Album), and Marilyn Manson (get Holy Wood).

Death Metal is actually more along the lines of Disturbed (the album Stupefy is on), Limp Bizkit (Significant Other), and KoRn (Issues).

Black Metal people put on black and white makeup called "goth paint", masks, and may or may not be Armenian.

Death Metal is just full of assholes.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by The Kreator
my god... such an easy question... such bad answers...

Black metal and Death Metal's intentions are different, for starters. Death Metal is more focused on the music, while Black Metal is more about the ideas behind the music.

For Example: Lots of Death Metal is trying to be "br00tal" while lots of Black Metal is trying to be "kvlt." (Kvlt means a whole range of different things, to the # of views on Myspace to the actions of the band).

Black Metal has "shrieking" vocals, while Death Metal has "grunts," although higher pitched vocals are also used.

Black Metal usually has very very raw production, yet remains atmospheric, giving it another distinguishing quality.

Black Metal: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DgrO9dTy2fU&feature=related
Death Metal: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lJERkL8Qmyg

Melodic Death Metal and Melodic Black Metal are also different in most of the same aspects, except for the production is normally good in both of these genres.

Melodic Black Metal: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_Van5c-ZZ6E
Melodic Death Metal: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAm-_sOEvg&feature=related

Everyone direct your attention to this post.

EDIT: Or Gargamel if anyone remembers that gr1m fr0stb1tten group.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by Firenze
Black Metal is like Slipknot (get the self titled), System of A Down (Steal This Album), and Marilyn Manson (get Holy Wood).

Death Metal is actually more along the lines of Disturbed (the album Stupefy is on), Limp Bizkit (Significant Other), and KoRn (Issues).

Black Metal people put on black and white makeup called "goth paint", masks, and may or may not be Armenian.

Great post! Good to see someone make a serious one instead of just trolling *cough* The Kreator *cough*

EDIT: I actually still have the cover of Smurf Metal Ist Krieg saved on my computer somewhere.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by BladeSlinger

EDIT: Or Gargamel if anyone remembers that gr1m fr0stb1tten group.

Smurf Metal Ist Krieg!
I had forgotten
My life's best work....If I died now I would be content with my life.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by MetalMessiah665
Great post! Good to see someone make a serious one instead of just trolling *cough* The Kreator *cough*

EDIT: I actually still have the cover of Smurf Metal Ist Krieg saved on my computer somewhere.

Yeah I thought I'd help the poor guy out.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, but someone link me to whatever Smurf Metal Ist Kreig is...now.

edit: Oh lawd
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Last edited by Firenze at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by Bloodycrass
I disagree because it does matter in Hardcore, maybe not in metal though i don't know enough of it .

wot? it doesn't matter any more in one genre than it does in another, they just all have their "main themes", or stereotypical topics.
Quote by Firenze

Everyone else stop trying to be funny, I've found the post of the year.
Quote by humperdunk

Grindcore is a type of punk... fast, super aggressive punk. Think old Napalm Death, Pig Destroyer, Benumb, Nasum, Swallowing Sh*t, Magrudergrind.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by The Frayed Ends
Everyone else stop trying to be funny, I've found the post of the year.

I call I get to sig it.
Quote by Firenze
Yeah I thought I'd help the poor guy out.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, but someone link me to whatever Smurf Metal Ist Kreig is...now.

edit: Oh lawd

what's the link?
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
No. Incorrect.

Listen to Immortal and then listen to Morbid Angel.

Compare and contrast.

This.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by The Kreator
what's the link?

I posted it.....They were touring with Gr1m Bizkit not long ago.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 2