Just wondering, why don't they make basses with whammy bars? Would the tension from the strings rip the bridge off, or what?
i've heard les claypool and victor wooten have basses with tremolo systems
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
They do make basses with trems, but tbh, how practical is a whammy on a bass?
Quote by qotsa1998

How practical is a whammy on a guitar? Not very, but they are pretty cool for solos and stuff. While a bass trem is even less practical, I'd still get one if I had the cash and a bass I'd be willing to put one on. I'm GASing for a Spector Euro 5LX right now, and when (if?) I get one, I'd retrofit it with a Kahler hybrid trem, plus locking tuners, etc. BTW, does anyone know a company that makes locking bass tuners in more standard peg hole sizes?
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Just get a pitch bender for bass......
a bass with a trem seems like it would go out a tune easy.

nvm, dont do that.

No one would even notice...
it gets out of tune. but the advance model of the bass i got from the pawn shop has one. also it would just be easy to buy the whammy pedal. than you can use it for any bass you want. thats why its more practical. even for guitar unless its metal. than its just standard to have an actually whammy for it.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Basses with trem system are nothing new, here is a shot of the 60s fender Bass VI with trem system, this is a true Bass not a Baritone before anyone starts. I als own a 1962 Burns 6 string Bass with trem system as standard.
Jack Bruce used a Fender Bass VI for some of the time in Cream.

G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Basses with trem system are nothing new, here is a shot of the 60s fender Bass VI with trem system, this is a true Bass not a Baritone before anyone starts. I als own a 1962 Burns 6 string Bass with trem system as standard.
Jack Bruce used a Fender Bass VI for some of the time in Cream.

What is a Baritone guitar? It's actually something I've been meaning to ask for awhile. Is it just a bass with 2 higher strings (EADGBE), basically a guitar, 2 octaves lower, or what?
^not gonna argue that point.

but I've played one whammy bar bass. fretless does note swooning much easier, makes much better sound. it is really alright, but just kinda... eh. why is this neccessary? it's just another thing to get in the way of your playing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by herby190
What is a Baritone guitar? It's actually something I've been meaning to ask for awhile. Is it just a bass with 2 higher strings (EADGBE), basically a guitar, 2 octaves lower, or what?

It is tuned higher than a standard Bass.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by the humanity

but I've played one whammy bar bass. fretless does note swooning much easier, makes much better sound. it is really alright, but just kinda... eh. why is this neccessary? it's just another thing to get in the way of your playing.

It was on my wish list in the 60s but I ended up with the Burns answer to it, I nearly bought one of the recent reissues.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by herby190
Oh. What tuning?

To be honest with you I've never remembered what the tuning is; so come on guys enlighten us.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
It varies - Baritone can mean "an octave lower" as in baritone/tenor clef, or it can mean (as is the most common baritone guitar tuning) B E A D F# B.

Another commonly used tuning is A D G C E A, a 5th below standard.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
baritones have a few "standard" tunings, relative to a guitar's standard tuning. I remember there's an octave lower, major third lower, and perfect fifth lower, but there may be others.

Quote by the humanity

Or could be just another thing to enhance your playing.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
baritones have a few "standard" tunings, relative to a guitar's standard tuning. I remember there's an octave lower, major third lower, and perfect fifth lower, but there may be others.

Or could be just another thing to enhance your playing.

most of the effect of a whammy bar can be reproduced with a fretless.

all the good ones anyway.

but, it is a good alternative if you suck with fretless.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by qotsa1998

A tremolo system is not really practical on anything, but it can definitely be useful/interesting.
Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW2a6q9sgpA
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by the humanity

Or it's a good alternative if you don't like the tone or feel of fretless basses.
Quote by the humanity

The original idea of the tremolo was to lower not raise the pitch.

Duane Eddy being one of the earlier users along with the UK instrumental group the Shadows, on Buddy Holly's song 'Heartbeat' recorded between 1957/59 you will hear one of the earliest recordings where the solo featured strong use of the tremolo played by 'Tommy Allsup'
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Which can be reproduced on a fretless instrument, like he said.

I doubt that you get the same sustain that a trem used on a fretted would get.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Or it's a good alternative if you don't like the tone or feel of fretless basses.

I would guess...

I would not consider the feel or tone worth it.

a whammy is hard to use in a pinch, or while constantly picking.

that may just be me, John Swift, who has no doubt had much more practice with a whammy, may have practiced long enough to do both of those things quite well.

but if he hasn't, then one could successfully imply they both have applications with note bending.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
that may just be me, John Swift, who has no doubt had much more practice with a whammy, may have practiced long enough to do both of those things quite well.

but if he hasn't, then one could successfully imply they both have applications with note bending.

I used a Bass with a Trem from 1963/9, and my current bass with Trem for two years.
My own view is that they are a bit of an extra/luxury.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn