So I am buying a really nice guitar from my local Sam Ash soon, and I have been told that it is a good idea to haggle the price down...but Pit, I have never done something like this before, how does one go about Haggling at Sam Ash/Guitar Center/ ect... ?

Thanks,
ReChord
They don't haggle at guitar center anymore. New ownership stopped it because they were losing revenue.
12 fret fury
It helps if you're holding one of their family captive at the time... Other than that just offer something ridiculously low, they'll go higher and you'll meet somewhere between the 2, depending on how good at it you are
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
just say if you cant get it down to blah blah blah then im gonna have to look somewhere else and he'll get lower still you stick to that amount and pretty soon he should get close to where you want it if he can
I sell TV's, so I know my things...

Basicly we want you to buy thing, as soon as a customer says "I'm going to look elsewhere", we re-double our efforts to see if there is some deal we can cut.

Also if you can find a flyer for another store that has the gear you want for less. Generally a store will match the price, plus give you a little extra off.

A salesperson wants you to buy the product (so they make money), and they also want to make you happy (so you come back and they make more money). So they will make an effort to get you a deal.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Jan 10, 2009,
Offer him pixie sticks and a wizards hat. I'm sure he'll reduce the price at least by half.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
Offer him pixie sticks and a wizards hat. I'm sure he'll reduce the price at least by half.

Wizard hat? Does Bloodninja sell guitars now?

Do some research beforehand and go to a place where the staff get commission. If they have a vested interest in you purchasing the product then they'll be more likely to try and lower the price.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Who haggles nowadays? It's what you did in the 1800's when you were on the market looking for a new milkcow >_>;
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
Quote by Finnepinne
Who haggles nowadays? It's what you did in the 1800's when you were on the market looking for a new milkcow >_>;

everyone jews with sales people
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join

I've done it millions of times, and I've always won. You just keep asking nicely, and keep on giving some believable excuses, like your leaving from the country in a few days and the country where you live doesn't have Samashes.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
just be polite and see if there are any scratches or whatever on the guitar (even if it's almost unnoticable) just tell the guy you think that ruins the guitar and that you will look somewhere else if you won't get it for less money
Quote by l33TgUiT@rd00d
See if he'll add a hardcase! FOR FRWEEE!!!!!

It comes with a hardcase already.

Thanks pit, the general consensus seems to be "either ask nicely and threaten to leave if he doesn't do it....or hold his family hostage and bribe him some form of fantasy item"

Thanks again.
Quote by alkaline3trio
Hold a gun to his face.

this.

this man knows his ****
just give me a fender and let me rip
A few things:

1) Tell the sales person that you have found a cheaper deal online, (anything up to 20 quid cheaper is realistic)
2) Buy several different things at once. That way they are more likely to reach sales targets and thus more likely to give a discount.
3) Wait till it is seasonal offers on.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Quote by ReChord
It comes with a hardcase already.

Thanks pit, the general consensus seems to be "either ask nicely and threaten to leave if he doesn't do it....or hold his family hostage and bribe him some form of fantasy item"

Thanks again.

You might get lucky though, once a sales person offered me a lower price than the actual one. He just said "I'll knock a tenner off if you want" and it was cool.