Is it worth it? Depends if any work needs to be done.

Do you know how to sight down the neck, see where the "sight line" falls on the bridge?

If not, you should either take it to someone qualified to check it out, or skip it.

I have a jumbo of the same year, solid top, maple sides and back, etc, and the "sight line" down the neck hits at almost the bottom of the bridge...long story short, my guitar needs a neck reset...that's one of the biggest concerns with older guitars.

Not to mention fret wear, neck twist, etc.

Get someone qualified to guide you. Can't be done through a forum.
Quote by fyrefly
Is it worth it? Depends if any work needs to be done.

Do you know how to sight down the neck, see where the "sight line" falls on the bridge?

If not, you should either take it to someone qualified to check it out, or skip it.

I have a jumbo of the same year, solid top, maple sides and back, etc, and the "sight line" down the neck hits at almost the bottom of the bridge...long story short, my guitar needs a neck reset...that's one of the biggest concerns with older guitars.

Not to mention fret wear, neck twist, etc.

Get someone qualified to guide you. Can't be done through a forum.

please explain.. i always thought looking down the neck told you whether the truss rod needs to be changed

but that guitar looks ok to me for that price, but i'd rather buy a Taylor or a breed love from guitar center with a warranty.. that way i get what sounds good and can take it back if there are problems.
What you are looking at is the bow of the fretboard.

This is similar, but you have to extend the line of sight.

Look down the neck towards the bridge. The line of sight should be about the top of the bridge.

Another way to explain this is to imagine if you had a straight edge ruler. If you laid the edge of the ruler on the frets, the end of the ruler should rest just on top of the bridge.

Also, when you are looking down the neck, using the bridge as a reference point, you can see if the neck is twisted.

Here is a pic:
http://www.frets.com/FRETSpages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Bridges/018Bridge/018BridgeViews/018bridge15.jpg

If you did that trick with my jumbo, the end of the ruler would be at the bottom of the bridge. Mine really needs an adjustment. The action is so high it could almost make your fingers bleed.

Regarding your comment on Taylor or Breedlove, do the same thing at the guitar store. Look down the necks, see how they set.
Last edited by fyrefly at Jan 13, 2009,