Hey all,

I got a Carvin magazine in the mail yesterday like I do every now and then. I noticed the Carvin Legacy II (Steve Vai's 2nd signature amp by Carvin). I was looking at the specs and I couldn't help but notice that there was an output switch on it that lets you select if you want 25, 50, or 100 watts of output.

I was wondering if you could do this to any amp head. I was wondering because i've been looking at the Bugera 6262. I would really like the half-stack but for right now it would kind of be silly considering I don't gig or anything and I just play in my basement with the rest of the family living in the house. I was thinking maybe if this mod was possible to do then I could get the half-stack like I wanted so just in case I ever do end up gigging i'd have more than enough volume. This way ,if the mod was done, the volume wouldn't be an issue for my basement.

So long story short.......

1. Is this mod possible to do to any guitar amp head? (or more specifically the Bugera 6262)
2. If it is possible how much would it cost?
3.Would this damage the amp in any way if it is done?

Thanks alot guys.
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
something like the is possible on any amp head, given enough knowledge. How hard/how much it costs depends on the head (never seen what you're referring to).

Thing of it is, 5 watts is probably more than enough for you...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
See the amp I have now is plenty loud. Its an 80 watt Rocktron combo. It isn't bad or anything it just doesn't exactly sound how i'd like. The thing that is good about it is that I can have it quiet. That's why i'm interested in this mod, if its possible, because then I would still be able to have the Bugera quiet and then be able to have it real loud when I need it to be.
(Gear in profile)

It is quite possible. On of the things it does run the tubes as triodes instead of pentodes. This will cut your wattage in half (approximately). Take to an amp tech and get a quote, but it is not a super involed process and couldn't seeing it costing more than $75 at mose. I'd say closer to $50.

As for the volume thing: You will not notice a huge drop in volume, just headroom. If you are a bluesy player and want power tube saturation at lower levels, than this would help you out. If you are a metal player though, I don't see why you would want this.

^That paragraph is for the stereotypical sound of that genre, and is NOT law.
Quote by end_citizen
It is quite possible. On of the things it does run the tubes as triodes instead of pentodes. This will cut your wattage in half (approximately). Take to an amp tech and get a quote, but it is not a super involed process and couldn't seeing it costing more than $75 at mose. I'd say closer to $50.

As for the volume thing: You will not notice a huge drop in volume, just headroom. If you are a bluesy player and want power tube saturation at lower levels, than this would help you out. If you are a metal player though, I don't see why you would want this.

^That paragraph is for the stereotypical sound of that genre, and is NOT law.

Yeah, that'd work, makes things kindof darker sounding though, so the tech might need to do more work.
Quote by kcdakrt

The only rocktron 80 I could find is SS so this mod would do nothing for that as all you have to do is turn it down.
Quote by Tackleberry
The only rocktron 80 I could find is SS so this mod would do nothing for that as all you have to do is turn it down.

Hah! yeah....oops.
Quote by kcdakrt

The question wasn't about my current amp lol. I was just wondering if this would be possible to do to other amp heads. Thanks for the replies though guys, keep 'em coming.
(Gear in profile)

It's technically possible. The pentode/triode trick mentioned earlier is one way to get it to drop the wattage. I know that's (or was) a popular mod on Epi Valve Jr.s. I (believe) the way most tube amps that come with that feature do it is by taking certain tubes out of the circuit. You can't just add a second stand-by switch and take out two or three of the power tubes because of the way the tubes interact (that's why there's push-pull, etc.). It's usually a much more involved process with specialty transformers.

The pentode/triode mod would probably be about the only thing you could feasibly do to an amp that didn't already come with power scaling. If the capability to dial in wattage is really that important to you, buy an amp that already does that.

Alternatively, and this would be the best solution for playing at lower volumes in my opinion, is to buy an attenuator. This works by diverting some of the power that would ordinarily be going to the speaker to something that just absorbs the power. There are two ways in which this is done. The first is just using a large resistor. The other is using a dummy speaker driver. The second way seems to be the best because it would appear to the amp that nothing has changed given that speakers have a variable resistor given the differences in load. A number of companies make these (I know weber and THD both do), and since I only buy low wattage tube amps, I've never had to go shopping for one. Someone else would probably be much better to point you in the right direction.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Quote by andrew7667
It's technically possible. The pentode/triode trick mentioned earlier is one way to get it to drop the wattage. I know that's (or was) a popular mod on Epi Valve Jr.s. I (believe) the way most tube amps that come with that feature do it is by taking certain tubes out of the circuit. You can't just add a second stand-by switch and take out two or three of the power tubes because of the way the tubes interact (that's why there's push-pull, etc.). It's usually a much more involved process with specialty transformers.

The pentode/triode mod would probably be about the only thing you could feasibly do to an amp that didn't already come with power scaling. If the capability to dial in wattage is really that important to you, buy an amp that already does that.

Alternatively, and this would be the best solution for playing at lower volumes in my opinion, is to buy an attenuator. This works by diverting some of the power that would ordinarily be going to the speaker to something that just absorbs the power. There are two ways in which this is done. The first is just using a large resistor. The other is using a dummy speaker driver. The second way seems to be the best because it would appear to the amp that nothing has changed given that speakers have a variable resistor given the differences in load. A number of companies make these (I know weber and THD both do), and since I only buy low wattage tube amps, I've never had to go shopping for one. Someone else would probably be much better to point you in the right direction.

It is possible to derate by taking tubes out and then probably mismatching speaker loads to get the impedences of the power tubes correct. Problems are that you'll probably lose some bass, and you're stressing things in a way that they aren't meant to be stressed.

The other problem comes from the fact that cutting wattage in half decreases volume levels about 12% (if I recall correctly), so you're still screwed.

Buy an attenuator, best idea I've heard so far.
Quote by kcdakrt

Yea I knew about attenuator and I was considering that as well I just didn't know if maybe I could just mod the amp instead.

Thanks for all the replies and opinions everyone!!!
(Gear in profile)