Hi I have a Ibanez RGT42 FM with a floyd rose
I played a lot of songs with drop d on my old guitar and I was wondering if it is possible/easy to drop d on floyd rose
Please Help
i have an ofr on my schecter i have the floyd set for drop D i can tune the E back to standard with no problems.
Yes, but you might have to readjust your bridge, because the change in string tension will cause it to move.
Quote by -Collapse-
Yes, but you might have to readjust your bridge, because the change in string tension will cause it to move.

not if you arrange the fine tuner so that you can go from the D to the E without unlocking the nut
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
Yea I have an RGT42 too. Its pretty easy to do it you know how to adjust the tension on the bridge. Basically try tuning it to drop D, see if the bridge kicks up or if it goes farther into the body, detune all your strings, tighten/loosen the springs in the back depending on if the bridge was too high/low, then tune it again to drop D. Its a bit tedious to change tunings/string gauges on free bridges.
Ibanez RGT42DX
-D'Addario .09-.42
Washburn X10
-Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottem
Cort 5 String Bass

Kustom Arrow 160FX
Electro-Harmonix-Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Digitech-Grunge

drop it as you would do with a fixed bridge, then check if the your trem is parallel to the body of your guitar if it isn't, tight the screws a little bit on the backside of your guitar.
i just dropped tuned it but on the 14th fret it now has a buzzing sound????????????????????
IBANEZ RGT42 FM
MARSHALL MG-Something

If you cant see the bright side of life polish the dull side

BTW AVENGED SEVENFOLD RULE
because the bridge is a floating bridge, one string affects the entire bridge, thats your problem.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

what shoud i do?????
IBANEZ RGT42 FM
MARSHALL MG-Something

get the guitar properly set up for drop D, but then you might have problems in standard, so your best bet is to have another guitar for drop D tuning. also look into the D-Tuna.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

ok thanks but ive now put it back to standard and it still buzzes do i need to tighten the spring or loosen it or something like that
IBANEZ RGT42 FM
MARSHALL MG-Something

because the bridge has been adjusted, you aren't actually putting back the way it was, it will still be slightly off. you may want to get the bridge properly set up.

*EDIT* - adjusting the spring tension doesn't really affect the intonation or tuning besides putting the bridge flat with the body.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

Last edited by aradine at Jan 11, 2009,
thanks
IBANEZ RGT42 FM
MARSHALL MG-Something

If it hasn't been mentioned, use the fine tuners.
It's the best way, the difference in pitch with the other strings is minute.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Quote by WH15P3R
If it hasn't been mentioned, use the fine tuners.
It's the best way, the difference in pitch with the other strings is minute.

that will only work if TS's fine tuners are wound down enough to drop the tuning to D, otherwise it won't work.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

All of you, back to trem school!

It is NOT easy to go from E standard to drop D on an unmodified floating Floyd Rose because as soon as you muck around with the tuning on that low E you send every other string out of tune. That means you're going to have to spend at least 5 or 10 minutes re-tuning. I'll concede that you can probably get away without touching the springs because the bridge shouldn't raise all that much, but its not recommended - particularly if it's a cheap trem.

The D-Tuna suggestion is pointless too - the D-Tuna only works on traditional Floyd bridges (not low profile) but more importantly it only works if your trem is non-recessed and non-floating, otherwise you get the exact same instability problems.

It doesn't matter if the locking nut is clamped or not, it doesn't matter if you use the fine tuners...as soon as the tension of that string lowers the bridge is going to start lifting and that will send every other string flat. That's not my opinion, it's a stone cold fact - you can't cheat physics. If you don't think it has an effect then you're simply not capable of hearing when your guitar's out of tune....and out of tune means you sound like crap, doesn't matter if you think "the difference is minute", that just means your ear sucks.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 11, 2009,
Fair enough, I wasn't saying it's perfect.
I used to use it on my P.O.S TRSII and it worked alright.
(Before my TRSII armsocket actually broke :S)
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Quote by steven seagull

All of you, back to trem school! *SQUAW!*

The best thing about these type of posts from you is I can't help but imagine an image of a very pissed off seagull doing all the talking .

Anyways, he pretty much said all that needed to be.
Last edited by T!AN at Jan 11, 2009,