OK, so I have a Roland Cube 60 and even when I'm pushing the gain all the way up on the rectifier model, I'm still desiring a little more punch to my sound. Right now I'm using a Boss Metal Zone to boost it, but it adds a bunch of dry fuzz if I push it too much. I was wondering if going with a tube overdrive pedal like the TS9 to boost the Cube's distortion would help me get the tighter, more saturated sound I want (to play thrash/death metal/metalcore). Would the tube overdrive sound good with the solid state distortion (I know it's not going to be as good as if it were a tube amp), or am I better off getting a solid state overdrive pedal? Any suggestions for pedals would be welcomed.
The TS9 isn't a tube pedal. Tube pedals are hella expensive.

Getting an OD might help tighten the sound, but I don't think the TS9 is what you're looking for.
The Tube Screamer isn't really the ideal pedal for the job, it's popular because it adds a fair bit of drive without removing too much character from your guitar/amp.

The reason you don't like your sound is mostly to do with the speaker, I'd bet.
Quote by Flying Couch
The TS9 isn't a tube pedal. Tube pedals are hella expensive

Haha, just goes to show how much of a noob with gear I am.
you probably need to use less gain than more. im not suprised that with the gain all the way up AND a metal zone boosting the amp, your not satisfied with your sound.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
od doesnt work great with ss amps
get an eq pedal or a boost pedal maybe?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20