Page 1 of 2
Are these terms exact synonyms? Or are they slightly different in what they imply?

"Fancy", which I've only heard used by people in the UK, seems to me like it implies only sexual attraction. Kind of like "I'd hit that".

"Having a crush on" by contrast, seems to suggest having strong feelings (phealingz) towards the other person.

At least that's how I interpret it. Is there a difference as such, or are they exactly the same?

And for you 14 year olds, it is possible to experience attraction in other ways than sexual.

Discuss.
Such slang is loosely defined. I've seen all of those used seemingly interchangeably*.

*Though, being from Georgia, I've only ever met one person who used the term "fancy."
Last edited by Flying Couch at Jan 10, 2009,
I'm from the UK and I would never say "have a crush on", it seems really American.

I would probably just say "like". "Fancy" is a bit...childish.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
I'd say their synonymous, except I would think "have a crush on" implies short lived feelings, and perhaps more superficial in either not knowing them too well, or merely being curiousity with someone you are close to.
Dig - Think they're cute
Like - Want a relationship
Love - HAVE a relationship
In Love - Like, they're the one relationship
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
I'm from the UK and I would never say "have a crush on", it seems really American.

I would probably just say "like". "Fancy" is a bit...childish.

What he said.
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
Idk, in high school 'fancy' was the kind of.... *wants to date* sort of thing.

S'past me now. I'm all grown up and shizz (mega lolz) and it seems stupid for me to say that

So erm... 'have feelings for' works for me... or err.... 'wants to plough'

>__>
<__<
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by sashki
And it has "fat" in the middle.

Maybe it suits the situation?
''I just like breakdowns..''
Quote by sashki
Are these terms exact synonyms? Or are they slightly different in what they imply?

"Fancy", which I've only heard used by people in the UK, seems to me like it implies only sexual attraction. Kind of like "I'd hit that".

"Having a crush on" by contrast, seems to suggest having strong feelings (phealingz) towards the other person.

At least that's how I interpret it. Is there a difference as such, or are they exactly the same?

And for you 14 year olds, it is possible to experience attraction in other ways than sexual.
Discuss.

NO THERE'S NOT!!!
He well fancies you, like.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Well, being that I'm 14 and have never really acknowledged the other gender in a sexual light (or the same sex, because I know somebody would imply it,) I wouldn't know.
¤¤¤†¤¤¤

Quote by 'idioldude'

your a fucking retard i know how sinister is spelled but that is not how he spells his stage name it is synyster

Butthurt fanboys FTL
I use 'like' and 'fancy'.

'Have a crush on' sounds so American. Eww.
Back in secondary secondary school we used fancy, nowadays its 'Like', its the same thing. I think crush means you like the look of the crushee but you don't think you would ever have a chance (like a celebrity etc)
I think they all have the same meaning, but can put a different spin on things. For instance, if I were out with my mates I would say "I have a crush on that fine young female over thar" It would be more along the lines of "Yo ah wantz to plough dat bitch, fo' sheezy."
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
You haven't acknowledged the opposite sex in a sexual light? :P don't think you mean that lol.
"I would like to have relations of the sexual kind with you madam"
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
Quote by BlackandSilver
Dig - Think they're cute
Like - Want a relationship
Love - HAVE a relationship
In Love - Like, they're the one relationship

I'm in a relationship and we haven't said that yet. It's not quite to that stage (though we've discussed it and it's... getting there slowly.). People throw that term around way too much nowadays.

EDIT: I say 'I like her.'
Last edited by Msu_Man04 at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by Msu_Man04
I'm in a relationship and we haven't said that yet. It's not quite to that stage (though we've discussed it and it's... getting there slowly.). People throw that term around way too much nowadays.

EDIT: I say 'I like her.'

+1
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
I say that I like her when I know I would date her and I'm interested in her when I would like to get to know her and go on a casual group date.
I have used "fancy" "like" and "Crush".

I hate the word "fancy". It's so childish and it makes me feel like I'm saying "I pick you. You'll do" if you know what I mean?

Also, "like" is not enough. So I sometimes use "I have a crush on you". But I mostly say "Yeah, I have feelings for you."
Quote by sashki

Wut?
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by boreamor
I have used "fancy" "like" and "Crush".

I hate the word "fancy". It's so childish and it makes me feel like I'm saying "I pick you. You'll do" if you know what I mean?

Also, "like" is not enough. So I sometimes use "I have a crush on you". But I mostly say "Yeah, I have feelings for you."

Exactly the same here.
I hate the term "fancy" but it means whatever you want it to. It can be used in either context. "Have a crush on" does imply more emotion though, I think it sounds nicer too.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I used to use 'fancy', then 'crush', now it's 'like'. I like 'like' because it's vague.
--------
No I don't think they are exact synonyms. I am too tired to remember why.

They mean other things than their euphamisms for finding someone attractive.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
I'm not sure, i just download everything so i've never had this problem?

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who understands this...
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by sashki

Discuss.

Liiiieess!!!
SIGNATURE
Page 1 of 2