So I'm buying my first electric, going in with decent acoustic experience, and alot of musical theory know-how. So anyways, I'm hoping to get a decent electric setup, with an amp, guitar, and cables. I'm on a tight budget, 275 max. Any ideas on what I should get?
what do you like to play/listen to? that's one of the first things we need to know.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Spend $100 on a small amp. That means a Peavey Vypyr 15 which is recommended by many here as a good starter amp. There is also the Line 6 Spider III (15w) that is recommended by some. A lot will say that the Vypyr is better though. IMO its very much more versatile. Vypyr has tons more effects and broader range of tone. There is also the Roland MicroCube. That gets good reviews and is a little more expensive and doesn't have an EQ. I haven't been able to test it though.

That leaves $175 for a guitar and cables... Well this is where it is tricky. I think you need to go up a little personally. Most people would suggest a guitar starting closer to $200 if you dont want to be royally screwed over with a terrible guitar. There are a few options though. You could find an inexpencive Ibanez for about $150 I believe. People also recommend the Yamaha Pacifica 112(J/V) for $200. There is also the PAC012 which is made out of a less quality wood than the 112 but its only $150. If you can buy used, go with that. You can probably find something less than $175 so you can still buy your cable.

As far as cables... no idea. Monster Cable has a replacement warranty that if it ever breaks just bring it in and they hand you a new one (I believe. Don't quote me on it but its something i remembered about it. Might only be Guitar Center that does it though) I just use some cables I got from Guitar Center for $3.33 during one of their sales.

Most importantly though try out the guitars and see if its what you like. There are other guitars in your price range that you may like more. I have a Ibanez GSA60 that I got for $120 used at Guitar Center. Even had a SD Dimebucker in it. This guitar is $200 and *could* be in your price range.
Quote by Rogue Hermit
what do you like to play/listen to? that's one of the first things we need to know.

Rock, Metal, Punk, classic rock, etc.
@ Chaos Nil- I'm hoping for a small amp, something small, just for practice. I can if I have to go up to 300. I'm wanting 60 or less for an amp, it doesn't have to be anything special. I'm wanting the guitar to be good, an amp is easily upgradable due to price later. Also, I've been looking at rondomusic.com
Would something around 200 there be decent, and then buy the amp and cables?
Edit: I AM willing to buy used, guitar only. Also, tremolo would be nice.
Last edited by Nthomp at Jan 10, 2009,
Anything?
Also, Metalmagic, the warlock looks nice. Anywhere I could find a review on it? It looks ideal for me, decent style, affordable, I could pair a cheap amp and some cables with it and probably fit my budget.
Does your amp and your guitar share budget, or does the 275 only mean your guitar?
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Quote by cohen5250
Does your amp and your guitar share budget, or does the 275 only mean your guitar?

That's shared. Once again though, the amp can be cheap, that's fine with me.
As far as tremelo... a tremelo on a guitar that inexpencive will cause it to go out of tune... like almost every review on a guitar in this price range will say that. Usually you have a floyd rose or locking tuners for that kinda stuff. Stick with learning bends and vibrattos i'd say.

And in all honesty I think $100 will be a better investment as far as amp. I mean *Technically* you could practice without an amp for a while until you have enough for the amp.

At least test out the amps and see how they sound. I haven't heard many good words about amps under $100.
Quote by Chaos Nil
As far as tremelo... a tremelo on a guitar that inexpencive will cause it to go out of tune... like almost every review on a guitar in this price range will say that. Usually you have a floyd rose or locking tuners for that kinda stuff. Stick with learning bends and vibrattos i'd say.

And in all honesty I think $100 will be a better investment as far as amp. I mean *Technically* you could practice without an amp for a while until you have enough for the amp.

At least test out the amps and see how they sound. I haven't heard many good words about amps under $100.

Alright, so with an amp around 100, I can do about 200 for the guitar. I've also considered a few starter packs however, such as the LP Special II pack, or the squire fat strat pack. Any word on those?
I suggest... Guitar , amp , and cable isn't too important, just stop by your local music store, see what they have that's cheap.
Strats & Seagulls
Starter packs usually have horrible amps. Again, I have never heard of anything good from them. (I've done a lot of research on this stuff when I was looking to get my first electric and amp.) The packs usually have some small instructional dvd, a cable, and picks and sometimes a bag. Now as far as the bags go, almost every one ive ever seen has been complete crap. Like some people at school have them and they seem to provide protection over only scratches. They are made of ultra thin fabric and almost no padding. If you plan on getting a gig bag, look towards spending maybe $30 on it. You might be able to talk them into giving you a cheap cable when you buy the guitar actually. Picks that come with the pack are usually 6 I believe which is only about $2. So dont take that kind of stuff into consideration. Cable is less than $10. Picks are about $2. Bag is... I dont even want to guess... its not worth it. Amp...not very great. Maybe...$40? You can get a ton better with buying separately.

Well there is also the Ibanez GRX20 but I have no idea on quality. Goes for $150.
Epiphone Les Paul Special II for around $170. Not sure on quality again.
Also an Ibanez RG120. Again, dont know.

If you want a squier... you have to get this one. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Hello-Kitty-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-512071-i1147543.gc

You could try talking to the sales rep and see what they recommend in your price range. They may have something you like.
Quote by Chaos Nil
Starter packs usually have horrible amps. Again, I have never heard of anything good from them. (I've done a lot of research on this stuff when I was looking to get my first electric and amp.) The packs usually have some small instructional dvd, a cable, and picks and sometimes a bag. Now as far as the bags go, almost every one ive ever seen has been complete crap. Like some people at school have them and they seem to provide protection over only scratches. They are made of ultra thin fabric and almost no padding. If you plan on getting a gig bag, look towards spending maybe $30 on it. You might be able to talk them into giving you a cheap cable when you buy the guitar actually. Picks that come with the pack are usually 6 I believe which is only about $2. So dont take that kind of stuff into consideration. Cable is less than $10. Picks are about $2. Bag is... I dont even want to guess... its not worth it. Amp...not very great. Maybe...$40? You can get a ton better with buying separately.

Well there is also the Ibanez GRX20 but I have no idea on quality. Goes for $150.
Epiphone Les Paul Special II for around $170. Not sure on quality again.
Also an Ibanez RG120. Again, dont know.

If you want a squier... you have to get this one. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Hello-Kitty-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-512071-i1147543.gc

You could try talking to the sales rep and see what they recommend in your price range. They may have something you like.

+1 To trying to get stuff free. Your guitar shop may give you a cable and a gig bag if you ask politely.
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
I suggest... Guitar , amp , and cable isn't too important, just stop by your local music store, see what they have that's cheap.

And I think I found the winner...