First of all, know that I looked in the amp settings thread and my question wasn't answered.

The problem is, I've tried almost every amp/EQ setting there is for Metallica, and I can't get the right sound.

***DISCLAIMER***

I know neither my amp or guitar is worth a donkey's crap, but I'm already working on getting some better gear. So please don't say "Get new gear". I just need something that will work ALRIGHT until I can get new gear.

***END DISCLAIMER***

Now, on with the original post.

What I've noticed, is Metallica's early tone (Metallica, Master of Puppets, etc) is a lot like their new tone (Death Magnetic).

When I realised I like their tone, I went to the Amp setting and tried to find the settings to get that tone.

I tried every one I could find, but there was always a problem.

For example, I tried both of the EQ combos that were listed under "Late 90's-James Hetfield", and the clean sounded right, for both Enter Sandman AND songs like The Day That Never Comes.

However, when I switch to distortion, (Whether I use the same settings for the clean, or if I use the distortion settings) it sounds too 'crisp' and 'light'.

So I turn up the bass a little, and cut the treble a tiny bit.
Distortion sounds right, but then, the cleans sound too chunky, and too saturated with bass.

I need some suggestions. Seriously. I'm about to go out of my mind. I've tried everything I can think of.

Also, don't recommend a EQ pedal. I would like to have one, but that needs to wait till after I finish building my axe and after I get a new amp.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

the only way to fix this is having saperate EQ's for clean and distortion

your amp doesn't have this so really there is nothing you can do about it except getting an amp with EQ's for every channel
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Buy a Metallica-modeled Randall amp if you've got the money. If not, you won't get the tone.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
No Cohen, I can get a Metallica sound out of every amp I pick up. Just gotta fiddle with the EQ a bit.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Okay... Well... I DO have a distortion box. NO I didn't buy it. A friend GAVE it to me. It's a MT-2 Metal Zone by BOSS...

Will that help at all?
I could use the MT-2 for the distorted tones, and just keep my spider on twang[clean], and put the clean EQ setting in on the spider, and put the distorted EQ in on the MT-2, right?

There is an extra dial though... Mid frequency... There is Bass Treble Mids, and Mid Frequency.. What do I do with that??
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!