ok here lately ive been thinking about learning how to play but i realized i dont even know where to start. between work and class i dont have time for a teacher so im just looking for some advice on where to get started
Personally, I'd say start by learning the major and minor chords, and just try to use them in progressions and arpeggiate them and such. Maybe youtube some video lessons to find out how to play exactly what you want to be playing..
I've been dabbling in a bit of keyboard recently. once you learn the notes (sometimes they're printed on the casing just above the 1st octave or so - that's how I learned them) you can just use stuff you know from guirat about chords and things - basic theory etc. you can just use on the keys - it's the same notes after all.

one thing that helped me greatly is knowing Cmajor (and Aminor) scale = all the white keys.

EDIT:
Watch out for chord inversions. it took me a while to figure it out, but keyboards are not like guitars chordwise. when you play chords on a guitar you think of chord "shapes" but keyboardists kind of think of the notes (eg: G is G, B, D) then, for example, they might play the rootnote (G) with thier left hand and play the other three notes in the chord B, D, G in order of pitch to get a different sound or simply for conveinience. It takes a different method of thought but it's quite easy once you get the hang of it.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 10, 2009,
First, practice simple melodies with one hand. Then practice melodies with one hand, and chords with the other at the same time. Then try melodies with one hand and melodies with the other at the same rhythm at the same time. Then, practice playing two completely separate melodies with both hands, until they become completely independent.

From there, it's just practicing technique. I'm not that great myself (just passed grade 1 ) so I'm able to ell you how I've done it so far.
not that I've found. but good luck dude. and learn how to read music if you cant, piano tab is ****ED up lol.

its much easier to understand chords on a keyboard, as long as you know your intervals and note names, and inversions are much easier to do.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
appreciate it guys, ive gotten to the point where i wanna learn every instrument i can get my hands on. im sure yall know how it is.
Quote by dmiwshicldply
appreciate it guys, ive gotten to the point where i wanna learn every instrument i can get my hands on. im sure yall know how it is.

yeah i do, play bass, guitar, piano, clarinet and violin lol.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Well, besides all the basics:

-placement of notes
-technique
and everything else you simply need to know to operate an instruments

a keyboard is most about inversions. Best you look into these.
look intro some chord progressions on easy piano songs, or songs with organs or strings.
After a while you might begin to notice that many chord progressions made up with a lot of inversions, have a minimal change in notes played. Often you'll only move on finger.

Cheers