Page 1 of 2
Hey. I play both with and without a pick (although I'm better without one), and I've been trying to figure out which bass players use picks and which don't, so it's easier to play their songs. I've figured it out for most songs, but there's a couple I don't know:

Marilyn Manson's bass player (Twiggy) in "Sweet Dreams"
The Killer's bass player in "When You Were Young"

There's probably more that I haven't thought of yet, but I'll add them in. If anyone knows, help would be much appreciated.
What is the point of this thread.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
What is the point of this thread.

I just wanted to know if I should play the song with or without a pick. Because they play it with different distortion and setting than me, I can't always tell if they're using a pick.
I Hate Picks.
"Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams, telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems"
Quote by Dan_Hamelin
I Hate Picks.

So do I, but my guitarist is making me learn to use one....
well the short answer is all the main stream "artists" use picks because it looks more hardcore and cool then doing it the old fashoined way. and everything else overall uses fingers(with exceptions to certian songs naturally)
Quote by bass-boy-garith
well the short answer is all the main stream "artists" use picks because it looks more hardcore and cool then doing it the old fashoined way. and everything else overall uses fingers(with exceptions to certian songs naturally)

You really couldn't be more wrong.
Play the song what ever you want then, pick, no pick, slap, tap, whatever.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Generally Twiggy plays with a pick. And I've never seen the Killers guy play with fingers in the videos I've seen, although I'll point out that I'm not an expert on either bands.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Lightning Wentz, that man is a legend. I wish my picking arm was a powerful as his.

But seriously, just about any good bassist will use a pick when they want the sound a pick and won't when they don't.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by dancesisidance
Generally Twiggy plays with a pick. And I've never seen the Killers guy play with fingers in the videos I've seen, although I'll point out that I'm not an expert on either bands.

Okay, thanks. I can't tell in the videos because even when they do show the bass player, they usually won't actually be playing, so they'll be doing whatever they think looks better.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Ah well, your choice if you want to miss out on a whole new load of tonal possibilities.

Eh, I hate picks too, but I know of the possibilities. I used to use one, and I sometimes(very rarely) still do when I play some punk songs.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I have heard rumors that Chris Squire of Yes uses a pick, a rick, and a frik(en large pair of amps) to make a very win tone.

it sounds awesome. just like angels, but more brutal.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by TooFast
Eh, I hate picks too, but I know of the possibilities. I used to use one, and I sometimes(very rarely) still do when I play some punk songs.

Same here, there are some Freeman (Rancid) lines that just don't sound right with the fingers. Generally I would switch between the two when playing these types of songs, especially rancid, because there are parts that get quite fast, as well as the parts that are reasonably technical.
duff from guns n roses, cliff williams from AC/DC, Lemmy from Motorhead are the ones that spring to mind for me.

personally, I love my plectrum. it really tightens up the sound - there's no substitute for it in my oppinion.

but i think you shouldn't play with/without a pick just because that's what the original player did. instead, you should listen to the song yourself - and see if it's better suited to pick or fingers in your own oppinion. I play plenty of songs with a pick that were originally fingered. plus it'll give you a better "feel" for getting a tone you're looking for when you do your own songs.

EDIT: HOW could I forget Phil lynott from thin lizzy? my coinsience was so heavy I had to come back and edit my post...
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 11, 2009,
Justin Chancellor uses a pick...
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Wampler Triple Wreck Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Justin Chancellor, one of my favorite bass players, uses a pick for all but one Tool song. As mentioned, Chris Squire, who is superb, used picks almost exclusively. Rob Trujillo used a pick with Ozzy and Black Label Society, and damn well too. John Paul Jones, the man of all men, used a pick in several Led Zeppelin songs - Achilles Last Stand is played with a pick on a 8-string bass. John Entiwistle, bass player of the millenium, used a pick fairly frequently, Sparks and My Generation being the most noteworthy, but im pretty sure live he played fingers for My Generation live - the poor Danelectro's in the studio couldnt stand up to the Thunderfinger

Comparing the use of fingers and a pick is alot like comparing a guitar to a bass in a sense - though there are elitists who'll tell you one is better than the other, the truth is that theyre both different (but equal), and will help you acquire different sounds through your playing. You dont take a screwdriver out of your tool kit because you like the way a hammer looks better, do you? Same thing man.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Quote by bass-boy-garith

Totally expected expected from a January 09'er, I thought we'd be surprised.

Anyways, Justin Chancellor is more than enough reason to learn pick style. I, personally, love the tone.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I you can't tell if they use a pick, why does it matter?

I suppose it's too late to say that, but now you've gone and started another 'Pick vs No Pick' thread.
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Quote by bass-boy-garith

Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Simon gallup, Peter Hook, Carlos Dengler, Twiggy Ramirez.....I'll never understand pick hate-each to their own really...
Bass....How low can you go?????
Quote by slaptasticdave

I agree. since when is punk mainstream?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
I agree. since when is punk mainstream?

why the hell do people wear Ramones t-shirts? or Dead Kennedys? or Clash?

they are fitting into a mainstream group that wears those shirts to look cool, just like skinny jeans or gangsta wear.

that said, picking is still not a mainstream ideal.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzie likes to use picks. He's amazing with it.

Off topic: anyone feel as though picks make it easier to play and sing? Upstrumming makes it easier for me.
Mike Dirnt from Green Day
Mark Hoppus from blink-182
both always use a pick and if ur deciding on whether or not to use a pick, just use a pick for songs that the bassist use a pick and dont use one with songs with bassist who don't, and for your own music just do whichever you like the sound of better
Fat Mike uses a pick for his playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOPJ90FRZHI

It would be pretty hard to play that intro without a pick, you would need pretty fast fingers.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Didn't McCartney pick his ol' Hofner?
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
The guy from Children of Bodom uses a pick, but he just plays garbage along with the rhythm guitar.

Quote by tmfiore
Fat Mike uses a pick for his playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOPJ90FRZHI

It would be pretty hard to play that intro without a pick, you would need pretty fast fingers.

I bet the guy from Cannibal Corpse could play that.

It's a shame I don't like their music, because it's a waste of talent.
Quote by InvaderTSN
Na, he slapped. His style is best shown in the song "Iron Man" during his years with Led Zeppelin.

Oh, I always get that mixed up, thanks for correcting me.

Dick.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by InvaderTSN
Na, he slapped. His style is best shown in the song "Iron Man" during his years with Led Zeppelin.

oh yeah, during the "Born In The USA" tour?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by ZaccB
Oh, I always get that mixed up, thanks for correcting me.

Dick.

I'm sorry I tried to make a joke.

Quote by the humanity
oh yeah, during the "Born In The USA" tour?

Yeah. Ozzy's vocals were really good back then.
Last edited by InvaderTSN at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by InvaderTSN
I'm sorry I tried to make a joke.

Yeah. Ozzy's vocals were really good back then.

Despite the fact that...

Yes... Sabbath kicked ass...

No one mentioned McCartney yet.

and, I'm in a grumpy mood, so I took it as an attack against my well-being and ever growing libido.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Page 1 of 2