its very similar to making a real band, only you do it online.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
what the hell is an online band?!
i've heard of the "myspace band" which is just a normal band that only releases music via myspazz
Well, ShadesOfNight, as much as I love Myspazz, I think I will be the only person here to actually explain.

First off, you need to get a full band lineup
Then you're ready to record.
Here is the order to record:
Drums
Bass
Guitar2
Guitar1
Vocals, Keyboards, stuff of that nature

And you transfer all these parts through msn or email.
I'm Luke.
eseentailly each band member records there peice and one person layers it all together.

Thats how i see it anyway.
One person records an idea for a song. The members talk about it, and record parts seperatly, or, with some certain software, together. The parts are merged together, vocals might be recorded here. Then the vocals are put over top the music, the track is mastered on a computer, then put on a myspace page maybe. Kinda like the Postal Service, where Ben Gibbard would send ideas to his partner thru the mail, and he would take care of the rest.
wow where did you guys get your info.

most online bands use something like teamspeak, or skype, and have all the members with microphones chat/play through teamspeak or skype or a variation of such.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik

most online bands use something like teamspeak, or skype, and have all the members with microphones chat/play through teamspeak or skype or a variation of such.

We got our info from experience. I've been in over 10 online bands that actually produced something, and thats how all of them do it. Yeah thats one way to do it, but no one does that anymore.
I'm Luke.
Quote by danyellenik

are you ****tin me? Team Speak? Team Speak is just tolerable enough for voice chat even with the best codec used.

As for Skype its much better quality! but come on doing it live like that would sound so sloppy and unless you got a good room and good mic placement I doubt you could get anyone in sync with volume and good acoustics.

The Best way is to use a programs like Sony Acid Pro, Audiacy,Pro Tools (duh),Windows Movie Maker is decent on the low end of the recording scale if you have good mic placement and know what your doing adjusting your level! and last but not least Cakewalk is also good.

The thing is if you want CD quality sound go with Sony Acid Pro and Cake Walk and if you got mega bucks do pro tools.
2 Jay Turser JT-220 Les Paul Copys W/ Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pick ups.
2008 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100 Watt tube amp
1966 Fender Bandmaster Tube amp with 2 2x12 cabs
Effects- Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay
Quote by Datrooper
Well, ShadesOfNight, as much as I love Myspazz, I think I will be the only person here to actually explain.

First off, you need to get a full band lineup
Then you're ready to record.
Here is the order to record:
Drums
Bass
Guitar2
Guitar1
Vocals, Keyboards, stuff of that nature

And you transfer all these parts through msn or email.

ohhh rite yeh
awesome, a few of my mates do that. But nothing serious
I used to do it but just with swapping guitar parts with a fellow axeman
Its a pretty sweet way of starting off if your still a student with no car =D
Quote by Fozzie3000
recording drums 1st??? Surely you would come up with the basic idea of a song, chord progression or whatever, record to a click track then let the drummer loose on it

Yes you usually come up with an entire song first, including all parts.
But then wants the song is written drums track usually are the ones recorded first.
Or a guitar player would have to have AMAZING rhythm and I mean PERFECT rhythm.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
(Scenic Painted) American Project Strat
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
if a rhythm guitar player can't play to a click track perfectly in time then they need to practice alot more

when i record stuff i do the song to a click track then add the drums after basic track or whole song

then again, when i was playing in a band and recording, we played as a whole band and then kept the bass and drums, then over-dubbed guitars etc
Quote by Fozzie3000
if a rhythm guitar player can't play to a click track perfectly in time then they need to practice alot more

when i record stuff i do the song to a click track then add the drums after basic track or whole song

then again, when i was playing in a band and recording, we played as a whole band and then kept the bass and drums, then over-dubbed guitars etc

Okay but isn't the click track basically taking place for the drums?(Rhetorical)
hahaha
I mean percussion nonetheless.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
(Scenic Painted) American Project Strat
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
what i'm saying is that if you just sent an "idea" to the, basic idea of the music, perhaps the chord progression, few notes here and there, nothing really detailed or any music, then how can the drummer record something, at a tempo, based on notes, and where and when to change music without knowing what the chord progression or rhythm is like

not sure what drummers prefer, i know i'd prefer to hear what the song is like, get a feel for the music and make an approiate drum beat, which is why i'd like to hear the guitar part and maybe bass part first, played a click track so i know what timing to do