I started sanding an old strat body with a crack in it. Not very big so I figured I could save it. I came back a couple days later and the crack has grown to epic size! If anyone could give a good suggestion on how to keep it from growing and how to fix it, I would be appreciate it. I hope I can still save it.

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq33/y3rd4dd1/SN200398-Copy.jpg
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq33/y3rd4dd1/SN200401-Copy.jpg
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq33/y3rd4dd1/SN200402-Copy.jpg
well as a slight delay i know hockey players ducktape the small cracks in their sticks to stop them from growing, maybe that?
Definitely not where the two pieces would meet. This is a 1 piece body. the split isn't really parallel. I can't really ducktape it either.
cauking? as an absolute last-resort.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
I bet you sanded through the sealer coat then moisture from the air is seeping into the wood causing it to swell which makes the crack bigger. The best wait to fix a crack is to glue it and the best way to do that if to finish breaking the crack then glueing it all together. This isn't really plausible because we are talking about a guitar body. I would get some yellow wood glue, or some tightbond and get it into the crack.
Quote by PainIsPower
I bet you sanded through the sealer coat then moisture from the air is seeping into the wood causing it to swell which makes the crack bigger. The best wait to fix a crack is to glue it and the best way to do that if to finish breaking the crack then glueing it all together. This isn't really plausible because we are talking about a guitar body. I would get some yellow wood glue, or some tightbond and get it into the crack.

yea you got to get glue inside the crack. in this cas thats gonna be difficult.
if its gonna be painted solid i guess you could cut out that part of the body and replace. i dont know if thats really possible or even worth it.

or you could plane the top and bottom down like 1/4inch each then put like some sweet wood on it.

hope that helps
Gian
I wanna paint it a solid color so I think that would be a waste. Maybe I'll try to put 1 or 2 nails at an angle in there then cover then with wood filler...any other suggestions?
Bust that piece in half and glue it back together with Titebond.

Make sure you cover all of the insid ewith glue and then clamp together for at least 2 hours. wipe and sand the excess and begin painting.

Glue is tons stronger than wood. this is the best option, truly.
If it were my guitar, I would get some really thin, watery, super glue and squeeze that into the crack. Go ahead and move the boards around a bit so that it can work the glue into the crack as deep as possible. The superglue isn't going to be the strongest fix in the world but it'll be enough to stop the crack from growing. Next top it off with a nice lacquer finish. The lacquer will also help seal the guitar and stop the crack from growing.

You could also do what customisbetter said and just finish the break and re glue. The advantage of that would be that you have a more solid fix and you would be safe with some time of oil finish if that is what you wanted to do. The disadvantage is that actually breaking the guitar more in order to fix it can be tricky and if you do it wrong you could make things worse rather than better.
Not taking any online orders.
There are several methods you could use, as has been mentioned.

First, pry it open (meaning, with a clamp etc) between the body and horn.

Get it open as much as possible, then inject Titebon Original, as far down into the crack as possible, plenty of it. Then un-crank it, and clamp it up tight for a day. Wipe off the squeeze out.

Or. You could drill a hole, into the body from the side. Use a long drill bit, start small but make it so that it could accept a suitable wood screw about 3 or 4 inches long.

Drill the hole, so that it passes through the cracked area and goes about an inch or inch and a half past it.

Then open the hole out so the screw head will fit into the wood.

Screw it together, then dowel the hole.

I shall draw a picture.

Quote by Y3rd4dd1
I wanna paint it a solid color so I think that would be a waste. Maybe I'll try to put 1 or 2 nails at an angle in there then cover then with wood filler...any other suggestions?

don't nail it! use screws if you MUST, but make sure you drill proper pilot holes etc.

the most effective solution would still be to break it in half and glue it back together. it sounds like it'll be weak but remember the two halfs will fit together again like a jigsaw - a perfect fit for each other - also modern glues are usually stronger than the wood itself.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by jimRH7
don't nail it! use screws if you MUST, but make sure you drill proper pilot holes etc.

the most effective solution would still be to break it in half and glue it back together. it sounds like it'll be weak but remember the two halfs will fit together again like a jigsaw - a perfect fit for each other - also modern glues are usually stronger than the wood itself.

+1
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
inject glue
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
I think I'll try skeet's idea. Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll keep you updated.
Like previous comments have said about splitting it, but I would pry it apart slighty, get a dremel or something of the sort and grind a sort of bevel along the edges of the crack and a little deeper, then use some badass epoxy, clamp it for proper curing time and you should be set from there.