I am deciding between a marshall jcm900 1960a cab or an AVATAR 4x12 cab.

The marshall is across the country in oregon and i would have my grandpa pick it up and ship it to me the total would be around $350

The AVATAR is for sale on my local craigslist for $300. equipped with 2 celestion g12's and 2 celestion v30's

Which one would be the better deal? I've heard good things from both cabs.
What are their differences and which one is overall the better cab?

Thanks!
I know I think most people are. But I've heard great things from the avatar and it would be a whole lot easier to get, since its local.
does the JCM 900 cab have english made celestions? I think english made celestions are the reason why I love the sound of older Marshall cabs. If it's got english speakers, then go for the Marshall; it'd be worth it. Otherwise the Avatar is a good buy.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
does the JCM 900 cab have english made celestions? I think english made celestions are the reason why I love the sound of older Marshall cabs. If it's got english speakers, then go for the Marshall; it'd be worth it. Otherwise the Avatar is a good buy.

It looks pretty beat up so itmay be vintage and made in england but ill try to find out for sure.
definitely do so. I'm confident speakers are what make the older 1960 cabs (or for that matter ANY old marshall cab) so amazing; Their design hasn't really changed, if ever, so the only reasoning would be the speakers or possibly the woods used for the cabinet, but I'm pretty sure speakers have more of an impact on the sound than sub-par woods.
I would save the cash and get the Avatar. Also Marshall cabs take a bit of modding to getting them up to standards. And the Avatar has a nice speaker combo right out the door.
Avatar has a "vintage" series which are based off the Marshall 1960 cabs. I've played through a 4x12, pretty good, certainly not any worse than my 1960B. Either way, $50 cheaper and local? Definitely go for the Avatar in this case.

Oh, and also to keep in mind, the Marshall comes stock with Celestion g12t75s unless the previous user swapped those out, those are fine if you play metal, but for really anything else, they're not particularly impressive. The Avatar comes with 2 g12t75s and 2 V30s which imo work better overall than the Marshall setup.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 10, 2009,
thanks guys, i'm pretty much set on the avatar. the only problem i have with it is looks. black carpet and metal grill... pretty ugly. how much trouble would it be to put red tolex and marshall checkered style grill cloth on it. and how much?
wow that sounds hideous...

I'd say about $100-$150... imo not a bad investment....
I still say go for the Marshall, if it IS an older 1960. Well worth the hassle.
How is your poor grandfather supposed to physically pick up a big old 4x12 Marshall cab? You are so mean!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!