A what-pickup-thread. Basic question: what pickups to upgrade an Ibanez GSR180?

So I have a GSR180 and SRX590, and had lent the 180 to a friend of mine for some time because I have the SRX590 anyway, but I got it back yesterday and I loooove the way it plays (I set it up a bit).

The SRX is great for both metal-like (speed, aggressiveness) and jazz-like music (think soloing and chording) but for reggae and softer music I just dig the GSR180 playability and acoustic tone.

But the 180 is a beginner's bass, ofcourse, so I went and played another friend's GSR180 today and it feels infinitely inferior to mine so I guess I'm a bit lucky with a good one. Except for the amplified sound, it's really not up to my standards now - so I will be needing new pickups. And while I'm at it I'll replace the wiring, pots etc, along with the bridge and tuners and repaint it.

But I don't know anything about bass pickups. So if anyone has suggestions, please!

Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Bartolini and Seymour Duncan.

bart for the single coil, Duncan Quarter Pounder for the split coil.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well thanks, but, what kind of Bartolini? (and the 180 has got two-single-coils routing, unlike the GSR200) and for what sound? I want it as acoustic-sounding as possible but with the electric bass edge (who doesn't?) so stuff great for reggae and groove indie rock. oh
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
oh.

yeah, Bart is great. the 9CBJS1 may do ya, get a smooth, solid, incessant low with defined clarity and solid boominess. perfecto.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Maybe you should just get the GSR190, but it comes off as having more of a dull sound than a soft one...
Quote by herby190
Maybe you should just get the GSR190, but it comes off as having more of a dull sound than a soft one...

you confuse me. he is buying no bass.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Yes, Bartiloni are probably what your looking for.

I played my homegroup teachers Ibanez Soundgear (not 100 percent sure on specific model)

it was a 5ver with two humbuckers, Bartiloni with an active eq. I put them on flat as I prefer a Passive(er) sound

Sounded really deep smooth and surprisingly clear. with that much low I usually turn to mud on my Jag.

then after A while I started paying with the EQ knobs, and found out that it did absolutely everything.

AMAZING slap tone, Great rock pick tone (bright and agressive, a Mid Slap in the face or a percussive low)

Anyway, I'm rambling.

for what your talking about a Set of Passive Bart P'ups would send you to Creamland.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
The 9CBJS1 , then? I want passive anyway. Is it wise to sue the same pickups for bridge/neck position? The bridge may be a bit punchier/sharper for those ska/punk things and the neck a bit mellower for that reggae/classic rock thing.

Bweuh. There should be a guide on bass pickups ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
The 9CBJS1 , then? I want passive anyway. Is it wise to sue the same pickups for bridge/neck position? The bridge may be a bit punchier/sharper for those ska/punk things and the neck a bit mellower for that reggae/classic rock thing.

Bweuh. There should be a guide on bass pickups ^^

go to best bass gear, then get the 9CBJS1 and it's treblier counterpart.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
go to best bass gear, then get the 9CBJS1 and it's treblier counterpart.

There's no sticky called 'best bass gear'

Anyway, I'm from Europe so I'd better order them from somewhere in Europe ^^. Are you sure these are top notch pickups? I don't want to have to upgrade again later. Hm. Where's this place best bass gear? I'll have a look www.bestbassgear.com? seems obvious
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by bornfidelity
There's no sticky called 'best bass gear'

Anyway, I'm from Europe so I'd better order them from somewhere in Europe ^^. Are you sure these are top notch pickups? I don't want to have to upgrade again later. Hm. Where's this place best bass gear? I'll have a look www.bestbassgear.com? seems obvious

yup.

should have added the .com, but now it is much more meaningful to you.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard