I got this for my Dual Rectifer and i put it on -16 dB and turned up my master on my amp and the distortion is so distored it doesnt sound like my amp at all. Is the Hot Plate really messing up my tone that bad? Thanks
well, try using less attenuation, -16db is quite a lot
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
well if i go to -12 dB its still loud. The point of me getting this attenuator is to play at bedroom level while crankn my tubes for that good sound
well you can crank your tubes a bit less, what amp are you running and what are your settings? you will probably have to readjust your eq settings to get the sound you are looking for.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Yep over-attenuation will just end up in a buzzy, over compressed tone. Not to mention, turning your master up to 10 usually sounds bad anyway. Especially in these modern high gain amps. Try keeping the master at say... 5-6 and attenuate less.

Something people need to realize... things like hot plates are not for bedroom use. They're not made so that you can crank a 100 watt amp to 10 in your bedroom and over-attenuate, because that is just going to sound bad, the point of them is so when you're gigging you can turn the amp up to the sweet spot and take enough off the top to give you reasonable stage volume. That is usually somewhere around -6 to -8 dB.
Oh now that i know this then that really sucks. I love the sound of my Mesa Dual Rectifer but i dont have many chances too crank it. Would going from a 4x12 to a 2x12 help at all?
Im using a Dual Rectifier with a 4x12 cab in my room and I dont have a lot of opportunities to crank it. Would getting a 2x12 lower the volume at all?
It won't lower the volume.
changing the number of speakers does absolutely nothing.

Get rid of the hot plate.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by hidden132
Im using a Dual Rectifier with a 4x12 cab in my room and I dont have a lot of opportunities to crank it. Would getting a 2x12 lower the volume at all?

no. return the hotplate, sell the recto, and get another amp..or deal with it
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
You could just give both to me and I'll give you my combo MG that I'll buy to trade you.