So I've been playing alot of Metallica, disturbed, pantera, Lamb of God, Mudvayne, Megadeth, lil Ozzy and Black Sabbath, Killswitch Engage, Av7x, Bullet for my valentine, etc etc, but I feel like I'm stuck in this new rock genre! I need to get back to when I was playing Metallica, Guns n Roses, Aerosmith etc.. But when I go to play any Aerosmith or GnR it sounds like ****. After getting so used to playing these riffs without chords and a few power chords here and there, I've really lost out on the chord's used to play stuff like Aerosmith in particular. Mainly when I try to play that scratchy Funky style with alot of string mutes I sound like doo, and I can't get the right feel to sit and practice cuz I feel like it's going to take a while to get that good fast funky hard rock sound. If I really want to do it I guess I'm going to need to drop all the alternative and heavy metal and get down to business.
You're not practicing properly. You need to get a proper practice routine set up. You need to involve various techniques.

Playing Pantera and the like will be good for your metal playing, but they rarely make use of chords, clean playing or anything like that.

You need to practice things like open/barre chords, alternate picking, legato, string bends, vibrato.....then build these up into an 'arsenal' of skills, which can be pulled out and applied to any song.
Good luck? I feel your pain (chords have always caused me trouble) but what's the question here?
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by Ikonoklast
You're not practicing properly. You need to get a proper practice routine set up. You need to involve various techniques.

Playing Pantera and the like will be good for your metal playing, but they rarely make use of chords, clean playing or anything like that.

You need to practice things like open/barre chords, alternate picking, legato, string bends, vibrato.....then build these up into an 'arsenal' of skills, which can be pulled out and applied to any song.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I think this will be something I'd like to do here shortly. I've been practicing my alternate picking here and there, and I think some legato. When u guys practice these different technique do you tend to use a song or just a particular riff, or do u just make ur stuff up?
One thing I just can't bring my self to do is get that loose strumming wrist. I keep it tight with small movement to help with alternate picking.
Why would you need to string skip when playing chords?
I'm assuming you mean strumming chords and not fretting chords but playing the notes arpeggiated?
I probably should have posted it at the pit or something. Just something to talk about thats all.
Black Sabbath is new? Huh, didn't know that.
"Ultimate"-Guitar is the worst website on the internet. Polluted with unintelligent mongoloids.
try some Van Halen to ease the shift...
they're classic yet somewhat modern...
they've got big heavy riffs, and you can crank the amp as high as you want...
Quote by rebel624
So I've been playing alot of Metallica, disturbed, pantera, Lamb of God, Mudvayne, Megadeth, lil Ozzy and Black Sabbath, Killswitch Engage, Av7x, Bullet for my valentine, etc etc, but I feel like I'm stuck in this new rock genre! I need to get back to when I was playing Metallica, Guns n Roses, Aerosmith etc.. But when I go to play any Aerosmith or GnR it sounds like ****. After getting so used to playing these riffs without chords and a few power chords here and there, I've really lost out on the chord's used to play stuff like Aerosmith in particular. Mainly when I try to play that scratchy Funky style with alot of string mutes I sound like doo, and I can't get the right feel to sit and practice cuz I feel like it's going to take a while to get that good fast funky hard rock sound. If I really want to do it I guess I'm going to need to drop all the alternative and heavy metal and get down to business.

Irony FTW.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
hmm good

but i feel the same way about practising.. I can never be arsed to practise new stuff.. and whenever I do, i end up going back to ****ty blues improv(just the simple blues scale up and down)
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Sabbath89
Black Sabbath is new? Huh, didn't know that.

Yeah, great new band, their self titled is amazing, very fast, especially the song black sabbath.

Just practice chord shapes though TS, you'll get better with time.