I have an Epiphone SG-400 and a while back I picked up the case whilst it was undone and it dropped out on the floor.
The result of this is a large crack across the back of the neck.
Iv'e been thinking of trying to glue it bu i dont want to risk damaging the guitar.
Im playing a Gig at a birthday party in a few week and i really need to change the strings.
The only problem is im worried that the tension of the new strings will bend the neck forward at the break.

Do you think i am wise to string it without fixing it first or should i attempt to glue it...

Also can anyone tell me how to lower the action on my guitar?

thanks mike x
how big of a crack, pictures help. It might not hurt it, but you should take it to a professional to try and fix it.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
I wouldn't change the strings if I were you. I personally wouldn't risk it. Take it to your closest guitar tech and get it fixed up. To lower the action look at your guitar bridge and look at the saddles. See those little tiny allen wrench screws near the front of each saddle? Adjust those to raise/lower the action. Don't lower too much or you'll get a bad case of the fret buzz.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
dude if there's a crack in the neck you can't play it. get it fixed! why would this even be a question?????
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
My nearest guitar tech would charge me wayyy to much i might try to glue it and then string it?
Ask him or her if you can, or if they'll tell you how to fix it.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Risk of trying to repair it yourself: giving your guitar ADD (automatic death disease)
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by kingofdudes161
I wouldn't change the strings if I were you. I personally wouldn't risk it. Take it to your closest guitar tech and get it fixed up. To lower the action look at your guitar bridge and look at the saddles. See those little tiny allen wrench screws near the front of each saddle? Adjust those to raise/lower the action. Don't lower too much or you'll get a bad case of the fret buzz.

I don't think you can adjust the height of each individual saddle on an SG bridge.
Quote by fastlanestoner
dude if there's a crack in the neck you can't play it. get it fixed! why would this even be a question?????

depends how serious the crack actually is.

i would take it to a guitar tech. or if you really know what your doing (or your short on cash) you can try and do it yourself. if you take it to a tech tohught, it might not be back in time for the gig. for now, i reccomend dealing with the crappy strings, than get it fixed.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
Quote by sliceofawsumm
My nearest guitar tech would charge me wayyy to much i might try to glue it and then string it?

If you're unsure whether you should fix it yourself i'd get it looked at by a pro personally.
Better to have it done right and have to pay a bit, rather than bodge the job and have to pay more!
Remove strings, glue with Titebond wood glue (not Titebond II) clamp as tight as it will get. leave sit for the recommended time, probably a few days. sand off excess glue, string up and play.

This is what you should do if you don't have the money to take to a professional. If you do have the money then definitely give it to someone who knows what they're doing.
The setup:
Fender MIM Fat Strat (midnight wine)
Fender Blues DeVille 410
Digitech GNX3 Multi-effect
Fender CD140SCE Acoustic-Electric
[quote="pr0pedestrian
This is what you should do if you don't have the money to take to a professional. If you do have the money then definitely give it to someone who knows what they're doing.[/QUOTE"]

I will ask him for his opinion
thanks