Page 1 of 2
I currently have a peavey bandit 112 and think I am lacking some tone so I am going to buy an avatar 4x12 soon.

Would the avatar cab alone give me a quality sound or should I buy a new head?
I play classic rock and classic metal such as ozzy, early def leppard, and maiden.

If you think I need a new head, then any suggestions? nothing too expensive.
MAX Budget ???

used XXX, a used jcm900 or a new B-52 AT 112 (combo) at 100 (head)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jan 10, 2009,
ok well, my budget depends on if I can sell my guitar for $300 and I may get some help from my family aswell, but it wont be much.

and I'm getting the cab for sure because I have my mind set on a halfstack but I just started thinking that I may not have to get a head because my bandit sounds ok I just dont know if i'm missing something. I've never tried a tube amp or anything really expensive.

by the way, my grandpa is maying for the cab so all my cash would go towards a head.
Last edited by LeppHead at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by LeppHead
ok well, my budget depends on if I can sell my guitar for $300 and I may get some help from my family aswell, but it wont be much.

and I'm getting the cab for sure because I have my mind set on a halfstack but I just started thinking that I may not have to get a head because my bandit sounds ok I just dont know if i'm missing something. I've never tried a tube amp or anything really expensive.

do you GIG cuz if you practice and play in small gigs a combo will suit you better
feel free to add me
I dont gig at the moment. our band is having some troubles. But I'm hoping to start soon.
I dont really want another combo mostly because they just look plain whimpy!
Quote by LeppHead
I dont gig at the moment. our band is having some troubles. But I'm hoping to start soon.
I dont really want another combo mostly because they just look plain whimpy!

That is a gear N00B's common answer about combos

do you know that a lot of heavy metal bands still gig with a combo.
a halfstack sounds the same as a combo and combos can save you alot of money.
feel free to add me
I know, I am just starting to learn about gear and tone and whatnot. But I'm still set on a half stack. And btw, a halfstack will give you better tone at high volumes then a combo because of the 4 speakers. especially the one i'm getting. it has v30s! Plus I like the convinience of being able to have multiple heads to swap out once in a while.
No decent half stack exists at that price point. There, you just learned something about gear.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Uh, half stacks don't give better tone than combos.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by LeppHead
I know, I am just starting to learn about gear and tone and whatnot. But I'm still set on a half stack. And btw, a halfstack will give you better tone at high volumes then a combo because of the 4 speakers. especially the one i'm getting. it has v30s! Plus I like the convinience of being able to have multiple heads to swap out once in a while.

Allow me to fix this post.

Quote by LeppHead

There ya go. And dude, we still need a max budget. But if 300 is your budget, then you're not getting any halfstack.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
^ priceless

Quote by gregs1020
No decent half stack exists at that price point. There, you just learned something about gear.

ouch, sad but true my friend
go for the b-52 combo, the 1x12 combo i might add
you'll be way better off than throwing your money away for a halfstack
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
combos usually have speakers to compliment
their tone aswell.
i would go for a combo if i were you, take the $500
that your grandpa is chipping in and get a good
2x12 combo.
Half stacks don't give better tone! IF it was true, every company would sell them, because they'd make more cash.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
Uh, half stacks don't give better tone than combos.

what I meant by that was at high volumes combos will be stressing to handle the volume, where a 4x12 could handle and deliver an unstressed focused sound.
Uh, all amps stress to give the sound at high volumes, that's what Overdrive is. If you mean a 100 watt stack will do better than a 20 watt combo, maybe.
Quote by chip46
Quote by LeppHead
what I meant by that was at high volumes combos will be stressing to handle the volume, where a 4x12 could handle and deliver an unstressed focused sound.

Combo's are played cranked up all the time, they don't stress out like a librarian with the farts.
Can amps even stress?
Quote by chip46
ok people, its getting a tad off topic here.

all I want to know is: are average priced heads really that much better than my bandit?

and I'm getting the cab so please just get over it.

thanks.
Quote by LeppHead

all I want to know is: are average priced heads really that much better than my bandit?

Generally, probably. But the average price of a head is between $500 and $5000.
Quote by LeppHead

thanks.

if you mean used heads like the 5150, XXX then yes
but if you mean those cheap worthless P O S marshall MG then NO

and im still waiting for that final budget
feel free to add me
Quote by LeppHead

thanks.

probably not
have fun wasting money
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Look, do us all a favor, if you buy a stack, buy it for the tone. Then we will be happy. There are plenty of combos that are just as good as stacks.
Quote by chip46
Quote by LeppHead
would a marshall avt150h for around $350 be a good buy?

NO

just sell the cab you have/getting and then add the money you got for selling the cab for to your amp money and then buy yourself a USED Peavey XXX combo or a JSX
feel free to add me
Quote by lespaul#1
Look, do us all a favor, if you buy a stack, buy it for the tone. Then we will be happy. There are plenty of combos that are just as good as stacks.

This. and

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
NO

just sell the cab you have/getting and then add the money you got for selling the cab for to your amp money and then buy yourself a USED Peavey XXX combo or a JSX

This

take our advice if you want a good amp/good tone
don't take our advice if you want waste a lot of money
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by LeppHead
would a marshall avt150h for around $350 be a good buy?

Not really. AVT's aren't true Marshalls, and their sound is lacking. We're telling you to not bother with a head not because we're against them, but because you are not going to find a good head. Your n00b idea of "oooo halfstack are teh br00000000talz!!!!!11!!" isn't going to help you, unless your budget stretches buy another 200 dollars.

Sounds harsh, mate, but it's true.

And acdclandon
--

--
Well, you can get a Peavey Windsor head for $400, but if you need cleans you wouldn't be able to use it.

Just get a B-52 AT-112, it's $10 more than the AVT, is a combo, and has a speaker output. Basically, you could use it as a head with a speaker attached if you want.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by stratman_13
Not really. AVT's aren't true Marshalls, and their sound is lacking. We're telling you to not bother with a head not because we're against them, but because you are not going to find a good head. Your n00b idea of "oooo halfstack are teh br00000000talz!!!!!11!!" isn't going to help you, unless your budget stretches buy another 200 dollars.

Sounds harsh, mate, but it's true.

And acdclandon

really good point stratman

avt's are not worth it, at all

oh and back at ya
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
there is nothing wrong with a halfstack, let the guy get what he wants and learn for himself what he likes. anywho, save up a bit more for the head. a used jcm900 head would fall into your price range if you upped it to about $500-600 for the head
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Spiff, there is nothing wrong with halfstacks, but he wants one because "combos look wimpy."
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Spiff, there is nothing wrong with halfstacks, but he wants one because "combos look wimpy."

good point....

...but also if he can't up his budget than he's stuck getting something subpar only because he "hAs To haVe a brootalz halfstack!"
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by spiff389
there is nothing wrong with a halfstack, let the guy get what he wants and learn for himself what he likes. anywho, save up a bit more for the head. a used jcm900 head would fall into your price range if you upped it to about $500-600 for the head

Spiff, we're not telling him to not get a halfstack.

We've told him his budget needs to be stretched, if he wants a decent halfstack. He's invariably going to get what he wants, but if he wants to get something worth his money (that he has now) he needs to forget the idea of a halfstack.
--

--
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
if you mean used heads like the 5150, XXX then yes
but if you mean those cheap worthless P O S marshall MG then NO

and im still waiting for that final budget

Yea I mean lke used 5150s and marshalls and such

umm probibly around $500
Quote by LeppHead

umm probibly around $500

with that budget you could probably get something pretty decent

5150's run in that price range used usually, not always

just remember, their will be MINIMAL difference in tone between say a 5150 combo, and a 5150 half stack (if they have the same speakers)

its more that the AMP ITSELF is good, not the fact that its in head form, or the amount of speakers are being used
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by LeppHead

umm probibly around $500

what cab did you buy ???
if its a good cab and you sell it for about $300

you could find a JSX (Satriani's XXX) combo used but i highly doubt it you could find one if you sell your cab and save some more.
with the money you have right now you could buy a used 5150or an XXX. just dont buy the marshall, MGs suck.

and yay its my 800th post since i joined here
feel free to add me
sorry, I had to leave for a while but which is the better value for money head: 5150 or jcm900? again I play classic rock to iron maiden. no thrash metal or anything.
Quote by LeppHead
sorry, I had to leave for a while but which is the better value for money head: 5150 or jcm900? again I play classic rock to iron maiden. no thrash metal or anything.

you actually might want to look at something different then

the 900 would be okay, the 5150 would just not fit at all
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
i would actually suggest strongly getting a combo now, to get that power tube saturated sound, with a halfstack it will be way to hard, especially with a lot of watts

combos:
peavey classic 30 or 50
b-52 at-112
i guess valveking?
peavey xxx might work too

some of those you can find in head form as well, but i would recommend a combo strongly
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Page 1 of 2