First off are 12-strings that much harder than 6-strings and if they are how much harder are they?

Seagull Coastline Series Lefty 12-String

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Coastline-Series-S12-Dreadnought-Left-Handed-12-String-Acoustic-Guitar-516928-i1391082.gc

Would this be a good choice for a first 12 string for a lefty as I have never had a 12 string before and I am left handed? So I was wondering should I get this or,

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-355-CE-Left-Handed-12-String-Jumbo-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-514139-i1148267.gc

The problem is the price as I only have about 500-600$ to spend and am in middle shcool so it would be a few years until i have enough for the taylor.
Originally posted by Beatallica_fan
next weeks installment, John tells us of the time he played in a band with Elvis's drummers, second cousins mother on harmonica and they invented grunge.
Last edited by lefthandguitar at Jan 10, 2009,
anyone?
next weeks installment, John tells us of the time he played in a band with Elvis's drummers, second cousins mother on harmonica and they invented grunge.
I haven't played a 12 string before, but I would imagine it'd take more to fret the strings (I have a mandolin). But it shouldn't be as extreme as mandolin tension. If you want it now...seagull is a fine brand.

Best bet is always to go into the store and play around with the guitars.

Side-note: why do you want a 12 string?
It takes quite a bit more strength to play a 12 string than a 6 string. I don't suggest getting a 12 string if it's your only guitar.

As for which guitar... The Seagull should be more than enough for your needs if you decide to get it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
so i should go with a seagull thats what im assuming and i have heard it is a little harder to play but i can learn. I have 2 other guitars an electric and an acoustic and i want a 12- string to learn a more variety of songs and to increase my hand strength for lengthy songs on a 6- string.
ive played a 12 string and im really a rookie guitar player. they arent that bad if the strings are light. your finger caluses will get a nice work out when you first start playing but after a few days if you know how to play what you want to play on 6 string you should adapt quite quickly.

cant give any advice on 12 strings, but look for something at least in mid range pricing, 12 strings need to be strong, going cheap could lead to some problems down the road.
I just purchased the Coastline series 12 string, and I found the transition pretty easy actually. The strings in each course are closer together than other 12's I've played, so it's not too much of a stretch. It definitely does take more hand strength to make chord shapes, especially barres. It's in your price range though and is built very well. The cedar top scratches pretty easily though, which I found out the hard way haha. If you have any specific questions about that model I can help you out!
Seagull Coastline S12 Cedar 12-string
Epiphone EJ-200 (natural)