What are some good jazz chords to know and how do you apply them?
Also (cause I dont wanna make 2 threads), what can I do to learn how to create good chord progressions and use a tension & relief feel to them?
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
There is no such thing. If you want to learn jazz, find a teacher.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I know maj7 (one of my faves) and I did some searching so I dont need to know about the progression thing.. I do have a teacher I just havent really asked about this yet.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
-7 are some of the most popular.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
"What are some good jazz chords to know and how do you apply them?
Also (cause I dont wanna make 2 threads), what can I do to learn how to create good chord progressions and use a tension & relief feel to them?"

major7ths, major 9ths, minor 9ths, dominant sevenths, dom. 9ths, dom. 13ths.

after that minor 7th b5, dom.7thb9

as far as progressions go you should learn jazz theory from either books or the internet, analyze a bunch of jazz standards by writing in the chord symbols right onto the lead sheets, and then create your own progressions based on ideas you get from standards.

That will be a good place to start and then you can go from there.
"How to Become a Better Musician" - is my online course at www.MyOnlineMusicLessons.com. Phrasing and Rhythmic Development, Improv Techniques, Jazz Theory, Ear Training and more. I'm also available for Skype/Hangout lessons.
The "Foundational" harmony of Jazz is very straightforward (usually 2 - 5 - 1 ending with added chords and written/played in a "7t" fashion) Of course it gets harder with chord substitutions, but that's s different thing.

The magic lies in how you outline those with own voicing (extensions) have a read on that.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 11, 2009,
learn all of the inversions (four per chord per string set) for drop-two major7, minor7, dominant 7 and minor 7 flat 5 chords across the middle four and top for string sets--know how and where you can add tensions (9, 11, 13) both natural and altered, know theory, know how to construct chords. Also learn your diminished and augmented 7th chords, as knowledge of how the voices move in those chords helps alot in understanding good voiceleading.