Can you copyright a song as "Untitled" or "Tittle Pending"

And can you change/add lyrics, tittle and notes in a song after it has been copyrighted?
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
not sure but you might want to at least properly spell it: Untitled....

otherwise it sounds like you are talking about boobs
Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
Quote by Banana Man
Can you copyright a song as "Untittled" or "Tittle Pending"

And can you change/add lyrics, tittle and notes in a song after it has been copyrighted?

Why copyright it before you have completed it? Have you played it publicly without a title, a complete song, or copy protection? If so then that's stupid haha.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by kingofdudes161
Why copyright it before you have completed it? Have you played it publicly without a title, a complete song, or copy protection? If so then that's stupid haha.

I didn't say I'm playing it live I just want protection over what I have started before it hits the stage or other members.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
Title doesn't matter to the copyright office. All that matters is melody and lyrics.

I'm not entirely sure on this, but I don't think you can update it. You would have to register a new copyright for it.

What's the point in copyrighting an unfinished song anyways? In my opinion, that is money wasted, especially since by the time you're done with the song, most of it will either be changed or trashed. And, when you do finish, you will want to copyright again, therefore you have spent much more money on useless protection. How many people are honestly going to steal a half-written song? Factor in the fact that unless they either copy your lyrics or blatantly steal your melody, you won't have a case, and the answer becomes clear as to whether you should copyright now or wait.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
your being paranoid. are you a popular band? somehow i doubt it. and if your not popular, chances are nobody is going to want to steal your **** anyway, for the simple reason that if you havn't gotten anywhere off it, why will they? and if you are a popular band, then your gonna have a paper trail so long, you wont be able to see the end for the curvature of the earth. so either way, your pretty much covered.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Copyright exists automatically. There is no need to "register" a song as such. As soon as you write the lyrics/melody the song comes into being and it's copyrighted.

The problem lies when 2 artists have the same song and claim they both wrote it. At this point it lies on both parties to present evidence of when they wrote it (songwriting diaries, witnesses, or registration with a publishing company) and the judge will decide who gets the song and ultimately the money.

You cannot copyright a name, just because U2 wrote a song entitled "Beautiful Day", it does not mean that no-one else is allowed to write a song and called it "Beautiful Day".

And you can feel free to change your song around as much as you want.

Edit: Dunjma I wouldn't be so sure about that paper trail. There's thousands of artists out there who would love to steal your songs, despite the fact that you haven't yet made a name for yourself. Who knows whats going to be the next big thing?
Resident Melbournian of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only.
Last edited by jazkel24 at Jan 11, 2009,
I'm gonna write a song called 'Tittle pending' now.

Seriously though Banana Man, what would be the point? Are there people around you that would steal your music and record it and use it for their own gain?
Are you a well known musician who's written material instantly has market value?

Y'see, if you've written something that's not even titled yet, it's pretty likely that it hasn't been played to the public yet as well, so, even if your paranoia is justified, how is anyone going to get access to your work to steal in the first place it if no one's heard it?
All you need to do is keep any written material to yourself until it is recorded, then copyright it.
It's nice to see a copyright thread that I don't have to wade into because of a ton of misinformation.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Just on a side note. Sigur Ros released an album entitled: ( )

All the tracks were untitled.

There have been numerous examples of bands releasing songs titled: Song #3 (or whatever). There's books out about this stuff, check out "How to make it in the New Music Industry". Well worth a read.
Resident Melbournian of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only.