Hey everyone,

I'm currently playing an Epiphone Dove, looks good, but the action is horribly high. I'm looking for a guitar, preferably less than $300. The action must be extremely low. I use a lot of finger picking, and flamenco shots, and almost never use a pick. Bass is important, but not as important as an articulate treble, which is no where near as important as low action.

Any suggestions?

My budget is tight. Preferably less than $300 new or used. And it's also difficult for me to go the a guitar store to try out things because there are none around my school, and I currently don't have a car...

Thanks
Last edited by AGP423 at Jan 10, 2009,
If you do a lot of finger picking, I'd recommend an 000 style guitar. I think thats what they're called, but if I'm wrong just take a look at Martins Eric Clapton and John Mayer models. I love that body shape.
Do you know how to lower your action?

It's ten minutes and two bucks to get started....
I'd recommend the Seagull S6 for pretty much anything. I don't do much fingerpicking right now, so I couldn't really give you a review on that, but I really liked the guitar when I played it briefly at GC.

They usually go for $275-300 used.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by fyrefly
Do you know how to lower your action?

It's ten minutes and two bucks to get started....

I usually take out the nut and bridge saddle and get a sandpaper and sand them down. But I'm pretty sure it's impossible to sand down in even proportions. Usually one side ends up having more sanded down than the other. And that completely screws up the guitar.

Quote by Natrone
I'd recommend the Seagull S6 for pretty much anything. I don't do much fingerpicking right now, so I couldn't really give you a review on that, but I really liked the guitar when I played it briefly at GC.

They usually go for $275-300 used.

The nut width is too wide... I do play a lot of fingerpicking, but I have small hands too, so I don't need those extra wide necks.
Last edited by AGP423 at Jan 11, 2009,
I agree with you there. The S6 is one of the best guitars for the money but it's damn near impossible for me to play because I cant get used to the width.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by AGP423

The nut width is too wide... I do play a lot of fingerpicking, but I have small hands too, so I don't need those extra wide necks.

fingerstyle guitars have wide necks. i dont get it.
Quote by redking14ca
fingerstyle guitars have wide necks. i dont get it.

I don't play classical guitar, so I've always had just regular steel string acoustics, and I play fingerstyle on that. My fingers are small, and I've really gotten accustomed to playing those precise arpeggios on a narrow neck.
Ah. Well I have really big hands so the width was actually kind of a nice thing for me. My hands didn't feel all cramped up.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
have you adjusted the truss rod?

regardless, i bought an ibanez elect-acous and it has incredibly low action, a nice thin neck, and great sound.

That may be your best bet
No it wouldn't.

The Ibanez suggestions are really starting to get on my nerves.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Haha, I know Ibanez is known for low actions, I've bought a few of their bass guitars... Never even tried their acoustic guitars though..
Nah, you just need a reference point...I wrote about this in another post. And, I just showed a music teacher how to do this. She was bringing her stuff to me to adjust. I don't mind doing it, but it takes her at least an hour to drive back and forth to my house. This way, she can do it in a few minutes, and save time and gas.

Your right, you can get it goofed up, but not if you use a reference point as I mention above.

Use the saddle for example. Take it out, and place the bottom flat down on a piece of paper. Take a Sharpie pen, and put the point where the saddle and paper meet. The sharpie should be about a 45 degree angle. Draw a line down the length of the saddle. Do the same on the other side. Now you have a reference point on both side, and you can see if you are sanding it off evenly.

I was able to illustrate this to the teacher. I sanded for a minute or two, and one end of the saddle was being sanded more than the other due to the pressure I was exerting. So, flip it around, put pressure where it needs to be, ta-da-, done. It was less than ten minutes from out of guitar to back into the guitar and retuned.

I usually take out the nut and bridge saddle and get a sandpaper and sand them down. But I'm pretty sure it's impossible to sand down in even proportions. Usually one side ends up having more sanded down than the other. And that completely screws up the guitar.
Quote by Natrone
No it wouldn't.

The Ibanez suggestions are really starting to get on my nerves.

Hey, Ibanez makes solid and very playable acoustics
Yamaha FGX 730. Its worth it.
EMO
The protagonist sees the dragon and moans about how hard it will be to get the princess to fall in love with him, he gets eaten. The princess is very happy, because he was a whiny fag anyway.

Quote by kanguuu
its old, good, but old lol
Adjusting the saddle isn't hard. I replaced my Tusq saddle with Fossilized Walrus Ivory. You just need to know the right thing to do. If i'm not mistaken, you lower the height of the saddle by half of what you want lowered at the 12th fret. So if your 12th fret is say... 1/8th of an inch too high, lower the saddle by 1/16th of an inch.

What you'll need:
- 120-150 grit sandpaper
- straight edged ruler
- pencil

As of now, your saddle should be flat since it's from factory. What you need to do is mark down how much you want taken off. Do so with the ruler and the pencil. Mark it on both lengthwise sides of the saddle in order to ensure that you aren't sanding it down slanted and at the wrong angle.

Tape down your sheet of sandpaper to a flat surface like a desk or counter top. Take your time when sanding down the bottom of the saddle. It's better to take off too little than too much. Take off too much and you'll need a new saddle.

Seriously, lowering the action on your guitar is like an hour long job(at most, and only then if you have a lot to sand) and will save you from buying a new guitar for $300. Heck, get a guitar technician to do it and it'll cost you $50. Thers just no point in buying a new guitar because the action(which is EASILY adjusted) is too high.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I think I completely screwed up my old saddle and nut, I just ordered a new set, I'll try that after I get them.
Quote by Pinto111
Hey, Ibanez makes solid and very playable acoustics

Not from what I've seen.

They're really overpriced for what you get, IMO.

And so many of their guitars suffer from quality issues. We had a rash of complaints about problems with acoustics a couple of months ago, and they were all about Ibanezes
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray