Page 1 of 2
I am in college-level courses, which basically cuts out any type of a good education here in Canada, because our education system is messed up.
So I'm looking for a school in the states, but I have no idea what I'm looking for.
I just want to continue learning, I have a thirst for knowledge, I don't want a degree for a "career".

I'm planning on moving away to college, finishing up whatever 4 years of school, and then hit the road, walking, hitchhiking, whatever. But I have no idea how I'm supposed to look for a school, or what I should be looking for.
well if you go to America don't get sick, cause you'll come back broke as ****. And train hopping is better than hitching dude...that's all I got
loads of people are like you, talk to a teacher or guidance councilor
STELLAR

I'll make it to the moon if I have to crawl
Quote by Stingray5
well if you go to America don't get sick, cause you'll come back broke as ****. And train hopping is better than hitching dude...that's all I got

amen
also don't do anything to get anyone sick, because you'll come back broke as ****
Quote by NICKmetalP
amen
also don't do anything to get anyone sick, because you'll come back broke as ****

Better advice: watch thine ass closely. Assume you are accountable for things you had nothing to do with.
Quote by !RHCP!RACH!
loads of people are like you, talk to a teacher or guidance councilor

I would, if my guidance counsellor wasn't ****ing idiot.
Are you stupid? college level courses get you into college, which is a perfectly fine education. The employment rates for graduating students at all the ontario colleges Ive checked out have been 90% and up. If your highest aspiration is to be a hitchhiking hobo then why even go to college in the first place? You'd just be wasting time and money.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
If you're looking for a good school, the U.S is not the place to look.

get your head out of your ass.

TS: You should look into what kind of degree you're looking to get because despite you not wanting a career, you're most likely going to need a job at some point. Look around at common degrees, or topics and fields that interest you, and then look into schools which will offer those. Once you have it narrowed down to that, weigh your options.
If you are looking in America I recommend looking at a liberal arts school. You'll get a more diverse education wherein you can explore different classes/ be forced to explore different classes. I went to one and I loved it even though I already knew that I was going to Law School afterwards because it gave me the ability to attend courses in all different subject.

If you dont want to do it for a "career" DO NOT go to a state school (states fund certain schools, if it has a great american football team DO NOT GO THERE) because they are aimed at gettiing money, which means you will sit in lecture halls of 200 listening to a TA drone about how butterflys lay eggs and never see the proffessor who is writing some book that he makes everyone in the class buy. SOUL CRUSHING
i enjoy head
Jawn, look for an atmosphere you want. Look for a city and scene you want to live in and be happy in. I know a punk scene is important to you, so make that a priority. You can find a good school anywhere, if you make the atmosphere a priority I think it will be easier to choose.

P.S.
Go to Rutgers, than we can hang out

Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
Are you stupid? college level courses get you into college, which is a perfectly fine education. The employment rates for graduating students at all the ontario colleges Ive checked out have been 90% and up. If your highest aspiration is to be a hitchhiking hobo then why even go to college in the first place? You'd just be wasting time and money.

Maybe he wants to learn in a college atmosphere and have the experience. The point of college really isn't supposed to be to get a job imo, it's become that though.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
If you're looking for a good school, the U.S is not the place to look.

Hit up EU.

The US isn't exactly a place for people with "thirsts for knowledge".
They just want people who have a "thirst to waste ****loads of money on knowledge" :\
Also:
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
If your highest aspiration is to be a hitchhiking hobo then why even go to college in the first place? You'd just be wasting time and money.

that is 100% correct.

Quote by Jazzcore23

If you dont want to do it for a "career" DO NOT go to a state school (states fund certain schools, if it has a great american football team DO NOT GO THERE) because they are aimed at gettiing money, which means you will sit in lecture halls of 200 listening to a TA drone about how butterflys lay eggs and never see the proffessor who is writing some book that he makes everyone in the class buy. SOUL CRUSHING

I think this is a lot of bull****. Your college education has more to do with what you put it/how hard you work/want to learn, and state schools are far less about "getting money" than private schools. Have you looked at the tuition bills for most private schools?

The only problem I can think of with going over to Europe would be living/travel expenses, and maybe a language barrier (depending on location/his background etc.). If money is no big issue, then I'd say traveling across Europe would be a far better thing to do.
Last edited by phoenix_88 at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by Jazzcore23
If you are looking in America I recommend looking at a liberal arts school. You'll get a more diverse education wherein you can explore different classes/ be forced to explore different classes. I went to one and I loved it even though I already knew that I was going to Law School afterwards because it gave me the ability to attend courses in all different subject.

This.

Since you're just looking to expand your mind, I recommend a Liberal Arts School or a Technical Institute/College.

And as for finding a career, just do what you like to do. I'm sure there's something you enjoy.

I really enjoy playing music, so I'm going to try and form a decent band at some point. I have some really good friends who are excellent musicians.

If that doesn't work I plan to go on to a Technical College and get a degree in Computer Sciences and maybe become a computer/network technician. I'm already going to be A+ Certified to work on Computer Networks after this year of High School.

If I decide not to do that I might become a teacher. I've been called a "gifted" student and I wouldn't mind teaching sciences in a middle/high school enviornment. Science comes naturally to me and I could see why many teachers find teaching very rewarding.

Who knows? I might be a Network Technician or High School Teacher who gigs with his local band on the weekends.

My point is: Do what you want to do, not what makes you the most money.

Just getting by and living a decent life will be good enough for me.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Last edited by dudetheman at Jan 10, 2009,
There's programs in Canadian Uni's and possibly Colleges that instead of focusing on one field you still take a bunch of different subjects (basically it's like High School at higher level). I can't remember what the name of the program/course is though, when it comes back to me I'll post

EDIT: Lol nvm other people already posted about it, it's Liberal Arts
Last edited by Furnase at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by Patty-cakez
Hit up EU.

The US isn't exactly a place for people with "thirsts for knowledge".
They just want people who have a "thirst to waste ****loads of money on knowledge" :\

actually, i'd disagree. over here, our courses emphasise depth, whereas liberal arts programs emphasise breadth. for some people, breadth is more interesting. admittedly, those people tend to end up sound like idiots on most topics, but still...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
go to the uk. One of the Best education systems in the world. Get a job, go to college part time (or full time if u can) and then on to university
U'll need to get A-levels. I dnt know ur situation so i cant reli say much
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

Quote by original=punk
I am in college-level courses, which basically cuts out any type of a good education here in Canada, because our education system is messed up.
So I'm looking for a school in the states, but I have no idea what I'm looking for.
I just want to continue learning, I have a thirst for knowledge, I don't want a degree for a "career".
I'm planning on moving away to college, finishing up whatever 4 years of school, and then hit the road, walking, hitchhiking, whatever. But I have no idea how I'm supposed to look for a school, or what I should be looking for.

if you don't want a career then i hope you have a **** load of money somewhere, cause flipping burges a mcdondles aint going to keep you alive very long. Your going to have to grow the **** up and come to relity, you can't hitchike the rest of your life, eatin trash and what not, find something that interest you alot, then go for it, go to a tech school, go to a school that specilizes in what your interested in.

theres a nice little tool you have called the internet. use it.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Jawn, look for an atmosphere you want. Look for a city and scene you want to live in and be happy in. I know a punk scene is important to you, so make that a priority. You can find a good school anywhere, if you make the atmosphere a priority I think it will be easier to choose.

P.S.
Go to Rutgers, than we can hang out

I've been thinking about New Jersey actually, the area sounds like the type of place that is inviting to me.

To other people: I want to go to college because I want to learn still, but I don't have any want for a career in anything that a college degree will get me into. I like english, because I like reading, but I'm a horrible writer.
I like art, because it's cool, and I can appreciate it and study it, but I suck at art.

Is there like a type of thing that I can take to like study maybe history of art or books or something?
...Yes. There are degrees in literature, as well as art history. But for the love of God, please to not go to Jersey. What kind of setting are you looking for though, because I'm sure you can find somewhere better than Jersey lol.
Quote by phoenix_88
...Yes. There are degrees in literature, as well as art history. But for the love of God, please to not go to Jersey. What kind of setting are you looking for though, because I'm sure you can find somewhere better than Jersey lol.

Can I get a degree like that in a college? (I know these are stupid questions, but my high school doesn't tell me these things, I'm completely oblivious as to how college type things work.) I was under the impression that those are like, university-type smart things. I can't go to university because I don't have university level english. They wouldn't let me take it this year because of my grade 9 and 10 grades, cause I slacked off. You can't get into university with a college level english.
I can't really help you there because I'm not sure how your education works/your terminology is all different... so I would suggest just doing some research on your own (google is a wonderful thing, and the information is all out there) because UG, though a wonderful place, isn't the best place to take these questions. There are also counselors out there for specific colleges, etc. who you could field your questions.
I'd make a list of all the stuff you would like to find out and know about this whole ordeal, do some online research of schools and look at their requirements and offerings, and contact people at the schools to better help you and clear and confusion.
Don't just go out wandering without a goal in mind, you'll run into trouble and end up poor.

As for school in Canada, I heard University of British Columbia is quite good. I even considered applying.

As for school in USA. DEFINITELY look at St. John's College. It has two campusses, one in Annapolis, and one in Albuquerque (spelling?) That school is not about career prep, it is all about learning. If you go to that school, you WILL come out more intelligent. The school focuses on the classics. Students read a lot, and discuss the theories, ideas, formulas, etc in class and then apply them. I visited the school in Annapolis and it really amazed me. I would HIGHLY recommend that you look at that school.

I myself am not applying there because I want to be a doctor and I feel it wouldn't prepare me for medical school. If you are unsure about what you want to do as a career, St Johns is really good because it is not career prep.

EDIT: For the love of all that is holy and otherwise, look at St. Johns. In case you don't know Annapolis is the capitol of Maryland, and Albuquerque is the largest city in New Mexico.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Last edited by Yeti60 at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by phoenix_88

Jersey is fine, New Brunswick is an awesome city and has a great scene. I know he'd like it there.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Work at McDonalds.

"Hello my name is Jose. May I take your order?"
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by czlespaul
Does anyone in the world know what they want to do after school?

Certainly not me.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Yeti60
Don't just go out wandering without a goal in mind, you'll run into trouble and end up poor.

As for school in Canada, I heard University of British Columbia is quite good. I even considered applying.

As for school in USA. DEFINITELY look at St. John's College. It has two campusses, one in Annapolis, and one in Albuquerque (spelling?) That school is not about career prep, it is all about learning. If you go to that school, you WILL come out more intelligent. The school focuses on the classics. Students read a lot, and discuss the theories, ideas, formulas, etc in class and then apply them. I visited the school in Annapolis and it really amazed me. I would HIGHLY recommend that you look at that school.

I myself am not applying there because I want to be a doctor and I feel it wouldn't prepare me for medical school. If you are unsure about what you want to do as a career, St Johns is really good because it is not career prep.

EDIT: For the love of all that is holy and otherwise, look at St. Johns. In case you don't know Annapolis is the capitol of Maryland, and Albuquerque is the largest city in New Mexico.

I liek what I see, 81% of applicants are admitted, no application fee, but i'm not too sure I can afford that tuition.
Tuition and Fees $39,154
Room & Board (on-campus) $9,284
Additional estimated expenses $580
Costs per credit hour --

That's alot of money I don't have.
Quote by original=punk
I liek what I see, 81% of applicants are admitted, no application fee, but i'm not too sure I can afford that tuition.
Tuition and Fees $39,154
Costs per credit hour --

I didn't go to college this year because I couldn't afford it. At first I was upset, but I got over it. College will always be there
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by original=punk
Tuition and Fees $39,154
Costs per credit hour --

Just go to any liberal arts college. you'll get whatever you put into it
Quote by captaincrunk
Just go to any liberal arts college. you'll get whatever you put into it

I was looking at them earlier, and seriously those are the most expensive schools I've ever seen in my life.

For comparison, my brother is at the local university for $5,000 tuition.
you mean your gonna finish high school?
LOYAL?
HARD WORKING?
FULLY EXPENDABLE?

THE EMPIRE NEEDS YOU!
IT'S NOT ABOUT PAY, IT'S ABOUT CRUSHING THE REBELLION
Stay in Canada man. It's way too expensive to be going to the States when you can save tons of money while getting a perfectly fine education here.

My advice would be to visit as many campus as you possibly can, and get a feel for what kind of atmosphere you like, because pretty much every university (or college for you) is the exact same in Canada, besides the different courses offered. A program at one school is just as credible as another. And if you don't know what to take, save some money and do another year of high school, or if you really want to get away, take a General Studies program. Also, if you're looking for higher education, look for some joint degrees that many universities offer, where you do 2 years in college, then 2 years at university.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
I'm just looking to study something that my keep me from slipping into idiocy, also, college will serve as the jumping point for my jurney. It'll kinda be like a Chris McCandless thing, without the being stupid part.
I think my Ideal career would be an art teacher. I'd be doing something I like & I'd get summers off. Can't get better than that.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Go back to highschool and get the credits you want. This is just me but I dont get why you want to spend so much money not to get a career. Maybe you should look into a program your reletively interested in and then after college/uni work a job in the field to see if you like it. Nothings written in stone and nobody says that you can only have one career for the rest of your life, lots of people change them.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for: