hey everyone, i have just recently discovered the magic of the warlock that they call Django Reinhardt, and I must learn how to play in that style. The flowing leads, the simplisticly difficult rhythms...
its all just remarkable.
soooooo....
does anyone have any tips on how to play good gypsy jazz, or know of any good lessons i can get on this here interwebs???
i really appreciate it,
Pete
I've never played in the style of gypsy jazz, I would love to be able to, but I never learned. I don't really have any tips, but maybe immobilizing two of your fingers would help. I can't say it helped Django in any way but it didn't stop him from being a total bad ass with a guitar, and it must have effected his playing so who knows it could help
Well...check out Frank Vignola. He's basically a Django Scholar and a mega-beast anyway. His site is like frankvignola.com, I think. And, study Gypsy culture, a lot of that style of music is based upon the mixed culture of the Gypsies. And study banjo players, Django learned from them. Violin and Accordionists would be good too. But, of course study the master himself.
also check out birelli lagrene. good gypsy jazz player. top stuff.
Thank you please.
Okay, first step to learning how to play gypsy jazz is learning how to play basic gypsy chords.
hotclub.co.uk <<check it out. It's got everything you need to get started on learning the rhythm. Don't skip on learning rhythm, either. It's important.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
And, to add - with Gypsy Jazz, everything matters down to the last detail. Learn how to hold the pick... there's a bunch of lessons on youtube. Just search for 'gypsy jazz lesson' or something similar.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd