once again

2 SINGLE CONDUCTOR humbuckers
3-way switch
1 master volume
2 tones

wired into a strat

i cant find anything anywhere on the internet for this particular configuration..
and trust me ive looked.. lots for 4 conductor pickups....
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
try looking at a tele wiring diagram , its two pickups with a three way switch , thats how i rewired an ibanez with two pickups
ahh good idea.. will try that till next option becomes available..

l
You can use this diagram even though it's for 4 conductor pickups. The bare wire on your pickups get grounded to back of the volume pot and the inner wire is equal to the black wire on a Seymour Duncan pickup. So connect them like the diagram shows and it should work.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_2t_3w
If you have a different type of pickup selector switch here's a diagram to translate to the type you have.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3ws_trans
If you have any problems I'll try to help you.
Quote by KYLE_2K

i cant find anything anywhere on the internet for this particular configuration..
and trust me ive looked.. lots for 4 conductor pickups....

Really? Everywhere?
How about the search bar. I bet there's this thing called the ultimate wiring diagram thread. Take this question there, I'm sure some nice people will help you out.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
everything makes sense so far, except one thing
my 3 way switch has all 8 terminals on one side, so the wiring diagram off the seymour duncan site (4 terminals on each side) doesnt make sense lol...

l
Fender has a page with diagrams for all their guitars along with the switches. Might have to dig thru em to find just what you need. Or use a volt/ohm meter and some common sense and figure out where to put what. The ones all in a row like that usually have the 2 center lugs soldered together with a wire going to the volume pot. Then the lugs at 1 end for tone pots to connect to, the other end for pickups to connect to.
thank you guys!! much appreciated!!!!!
ive done this soooo many times too, i dont know how all of you know this off the top of your head...
i forget how to solder every time i pull the guitar apart! haha its like looking at scriblle alllll over again..

l
k so ive tried wiring my master volume to 4 3 and 3 4 with my bridge at 1 and my neck at 1 the master volume did nothing, the neck tone worked fine, the bridge turn worked fine, but sweeped in the opposite direction lol, and the bridge pickup only worked in the middle position i think it was, while the neck was outputting a signal in all 3 positions..

so then i tried wiring it with the master volume wire to 1 1 (the two center terminals) with the neck pickup wired to 3 and the bridge wired to 3 (the reason i did this is because these two terminals have absolutely no solder on them, meaning they never had wires connected to them in the stock configuration. what i am wiring the guitar to now, technically should be the same design) however, i did not get much better results.. any ideas?

l
You dont connect the pickups to lug 3 and lug 3 on opposite sides. It would be something like 3 and 4 on 1 side and the tone controls wired to 3 and 4 on the other side. Or what ever lugs you need to use but 1 side or the other of the 2 center lugs 1/1.
what...
i have a wire coming off my master volume pot
a wire coming from my bridge tone pot
and a wire coming from my neck tone pot

l
sorry, in a bit more detail, the bridge pickup is wired to the bridge pot, neck pickup to neck pot, grounds both on back of pots...
ummm my wire from my jack (hot output i think?) is goiing to a terminal on the master volume pot, grounded out on the back... and the the other various grounds and thats pretty much the most technical it should be shouldnt it...

l
Hey Kyle I am changing my strat to HH setup as well. I don't wanna confuse you but I had the idea of first using 1 volume and 2 tone pots as well but then someone came up with the idea of using 2 volume pots and 1 tone pot. That way you can adjust the individual volume of the humbuckers making it easier to use if one sounds harder than the other, or you could even use it as a Killswitch "imitator". It's just a suggestion, I can't help you with the wiring though.
ya thought of that, and i would do that cuz i like that idea of individual volume controls, but im kinda in 'camp' in northern alberta right now, so the only electronics i have are what i brought and that means 1 volume, 2 tone pots haha...
and i like the idea of individual tone controls because due to only having a bridge pickup before i started this, i got really used to using my tone control for various textures of tone... so when i switch pickups i dont wanna have to re-adjust the tone for each pup

stupid but usefull.. i guess

l
There are only 4 terminals on the switch, doubled up so both sets of numbers connect to the same point (i.e. left side 1= right side 1)
Your pickups should be wired direct to the switch (so if the pot fails the pickups still work, yes) and the tone pots should be wired to the same number lugs on the switch (so they're still in circuit).

Normally:
The tone pots should have 1 outside lug free and the other should be grounded with a capacitor in the circuit.
The volume pot should go to the jack 'hot' via the middle wiper and 1 lug grounded and the other to the hot output on the switch.

The hot outs are most likely to be the 1 terminals but to find out:
If you have a multimeter (like Tackleberry suggested earlier) you can work out which is your 'hot' out from the switch. It won't be a terminal that has not been used before. If you have no multimeter you can remove the pickguard and re-string the guitar and then hold the pickups over the strings and play them. It's easier to attach the wires to the switch temporarily (clips, needle-nose pliers, surgical tweezers, forceps etc) until you're sure what terminal does what.

When you come to wire in your pickups to the switch you should wire them so that
(Numbers used for example only):
Neck pickups wired to 4 + 3 left hand side.
Neck tone wired to 4 right hand side.
Bridge pickup wired to 2 + 3 right hand side.
Bridge tone wired to 2 on the left hand side.

Wired in those places (for convenience) where 2=bridge, 3=dual, 4=neck
Just use a jumper wire from 4 to 3 and from 2 to 3 for the switch terminals so that either tone acts as master when in the dual HB middle position (3).

Until you can find out what the positions on your switch reference though, this is all just theory
on lunch right now but that sounds way more logical! thanks ill try that when i get home from work tonight...
for something so basic, i dont understand why some companies/people wire their guitars so ass-backwards it looks like
and single conductor pups suck! cant wait to get a nice set of pickups with all the wires so i can do splitting and phase switches...

l
I like Single Conductor pups. They make it much quicker (or should, lol), and there's less thinking involved, just swap one for one, :P

PS.

Not to intentionally derail the thread, but are you actually an 02'er?

You only have like 50 pageviews!

Sorry, continue.
------

Shwiggity.
haha ya been on here long time just been inactive last year or two... dont even know what pageviews are! lol fill me in...

l
okay, so heres an update...
i started from scratch with the output jack wired directly to the 1 1 terminals of my switch, grounded one pickup, and used the hot wire from the pickup to poke the terminals to listen for feedback and got positive results:

4 3 2 1 1 2 3 4

switch in bridge pos: 4 (right) and 2 (left) = hot
switch in middle pos: 3 and 3 = hot
switch in neck pos: 2 (right) and 4 (left) = hot

so i wired everything up: the bridge pup to 4 3 (right) with the bridge tone pot wired to 2 (left) and wired the neck pup to 4 3 (left) with the neck tone wired to 2 (right), once again 1 1 going to middle terminal of m. vol pot. and when i plugged everything in got absolutely nothing. i had been having a few probs with the master volume so,
i took m volume pot out
wired the output jack directly to switch
and everything worked
(on a sidenote, could this problem have been because both hot wire from output jack, and hot output from switch were BOTH wired to middle terminal of m. vol pot??)

but

ironically, the tone controls seem to work as master volume controls lol... but dont esem to have an effect when pickup switch is in middle position..

thx!

l
So the switch is N M B C C N M B (where c = common out {hot}) that's good to know!

As for the hot from the switch it should go to one of the outside terminals of the vol pot and the hot from the vol pot middle wiper to the jack with the remaining vol pot outside terminal being grounded.

Tbh if they were both wired to the middle and one of the outside lugs was grounded it could have sent the signal straight to ground if there was less resistance in that path.

As for the tone in dual mode you could jumper one of the tones to position 3 as well and that would be the master tone.

If you can post a drawing of your wiring or clear photo's someone might be able to see where the problem lies.
Sounds like your tone pot is wired wrong. Also, the middle pickup simply isn't wired to the tone controls. Usually, like say, on a Fender, you have one tone control controlling neck, one controlling middle, and the bridge is wide open.
Some people wire it so the middle pickup's tone also controls the bridge.
I have one master tone control for everything.

I'd like to see your diagram...
This shouldn't cause any trouble. I think I even have a wiring diagram for this style...I'll check when I get home.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Sounds like your tone pot is wired wrong. Also, the middle pickup simply isn't wired to the tone controls.
There is no middle pickup just 2 HB's.
Oh, hah! I read that he was having problems in the middle position, and just assumed.

This changes a lot of things, now that I remember what's happening in this thread. The switch, it's got 8 terminals, but it's not a 5 way, right? It's a 3 way Tele style switch? It works differently, then, and that's why we're having issues here.
haha yes exaclty... kwill try that.
picture will just embaress me by my soldering job haha..

l
Last edited by KYLE_2K at Jan 14, 2009,
Quote by bellerophon
So the switch is N M B C C N M B (where c = common out {hot}) that's good to know!

As for the hot from the switch it should go to one of the outside terminals of the vol pot and the hot from the vol pot middle wiper to the jack with the remaining vol pot outside terminal being grounded.

Tbh if they were both wired to the middle and one of the outside lugs was grounded it could have sent the signal straight to ground if there was less resistance in that path.

As for the tone in dual mode you could jumper one of the tones to position 3 as well and that would be the master tone.

If you can post a drawing of your wiring or clear photo's someone might be able to see where the problem lies.

oh, i dont want a master tone,
just master volume controlling both pups
and the tones controlling each pickup respectivly
i assume with switch in middle position, hot output stil goes to master pot, for volume, and the tone pots should be in circuit with their respective pickups, working on each pickup when switch is in middle??

l
Quote by bellerophon

i assume with switch in middle position, hot output stil goes to master pot, for volume, and the tone pots should be in circuit with their respective pickups, working on each pickup when switch is in middle??

l
Quote by bellerophon

l
good news,
got it working, all is good and fine
thanks for the help!

l
ya... cant believe it was THAT simple and basic.. ive rewired prolly 7 different guitars 20 times each and i always have to re-learn it and reteach myself,
but this was so basic and straightforward i dont know why ive never looked at it this way before...

l