Right now I use this schema:

1. 1:30 exercise
2. 0:30 rest
increase the metronome 1 bpm

Is that the idea ?, should I take longer rests ?, increasing more the metronome ?

thanks
i think you should increse the metronome around 2-5 bpm after each break... 1 bpm is just ridiculous
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") He lost his ears to a pyrotechnics display
Please buy him new ears

Boats and Hos!
ive always(lately) wondered something along those lines, that is with normal muscles like the arms and legs etc, youre supposed to workout then rest 24-48 hrs. so shouldnt it be the same with the finger muscles?

but to answer your question, i usually just do whatever i feel like, but im not that great, so do what works for you
Quote by hmblm12
ive always(lately) wondered something along those lines, that is with normal muscles like the arms and legs etc, youre supposed to workout then rest 24-48 hrs. so shouldnt it be the same with the finger muscles?

but to answer your question, i usually just do whatever i feel like, but im not that great, so do what works for you

It's not a workout in the same way though; the rest is for the fingers to get what you've just played into muscle memory, not so your body can recover and build muscle etc...

Frankly; I never specifically rest from playing, I play until either I want to do something else or start to wear my hands out.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
1:30 non-stop is hard on your hands, and it's hard to focus at 100% that long. I'd go more like -

0:30 - play
0:05-0:10 - rest
Then repeat.

Couple of benefits here - it's easier to focus intensely for shorter bursts. The rest is not long enough to get cold, but enough to give your hands a break.

Regarding the metronome - base your bumps on the progress you make, not on a pre-defined plan.
Last edited by se012101 at Jan 10, 2009,
It's all down to personal preference and ability. Steve Vai practices for 10 hours a day, so I hear, and that may work for him, but it's not gonna be the same for everyone.
If you take the time to observe how well you pick up new techniques and adapt to new speeds, then you'll find a much more efficient practice technique than increasing by 1bpm per session.
My advice is explore as much as you can and find your limits. Remember, people can tell you what to practice, but everyone practices differently.
He practiced for 10 hours a day when he was in college, with no job and missed all social events. These days he is lucky to get in 1 hour of 'playing' a day, let alone practice.

anyway 1.30 as in 1 hour 30 minutes right?

Seems reasonable, but don't raise the bpm till it feels completely natural to play what you're doing and its so easy it doesn't take thought.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
It depends on your work capacity. It'll be quite low at first and you'll need a lot of rest but it'll get better the more you practice I reckon.
Quote by public property
He practiced for 10 hours a day when he was in college, with no job and missed all social events. These days he is lucky to get in 1 hour of 'playing' a day, let alone practice.

anyway 1.30 as in 1 hour 30 minutes right?

Seems reasonable, but don't raise the bpm till it feels completely natural to play what you're doing and its so easy it doesn't take thought.

no no no, I meant this:

1) practice any exercise or scale for 1 minute and 30 seconds 

2) rest for 30 seconds 

3) increase the metronome 1 bpm and go back to step 1

This as long as you do it right, playing clean and without tension.

So for lets say .... 2 hours session you can go from your slow speed to your current speed.

From professionals I have heard different versions of this routine, with some subtile variations, what I am trying to do is to get some of the experience from people that really have worked this out, so please do not spam here
It fúckin' winds me up when people say 'i practiced for 16 hours a day'. That's bullshít.

If you got up at 8 in the morning you'd have to be on your guitar till midnight constantly. These people are liars. Since i got laid off my job (economies suck, eh?) i've found time for about 6-8 hours a day.
Quote by Ikonoklast
It fúckin' winds me up when people say 'i practiced for 16 hours a day'. That's bullshít.

If you got up at 8 in the morning you'd have to be on your guitar till midnight constantly. These people are liars. Since i got laid off my job (economies suck, eh?) i've found time for about 6-8 hours a day.

Yeah, but say you got all of your food for the day in one place and had a bathroom very close by, and had no contact with friends or family, or did anything else, don't you think you could find time? (Not saying you should do this, personally I'd hate it)
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
Yeah, but say you got all of your food for the day in one place and had a bathroom very close by, and had no contact with friends or family, or did anything else, don't you think you could find time? (Not saying you should do this, personally I'd hate it)

No, that's if you got up, didn't have a wash, brush your teeth, eat or anything. If he can make a piece of toast and eat it whilst playing, that'll save him 10 mins. If he can't then he's a liar. Taking a **** is a good 5 mins. These people that say that can never leave the house. It's possible to do it maybe once or twice, but people claim to do it regularly. Slash reckons he played for 12 hours a day for years when he first started. He was at school when he started, did he not skip school for years then? Or is he allowed to play in lessons.

EDIT: Also, that particular guitarist claims 12 hours, and still sucks! Amazing.
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by Ikonoklast
No, that's if you got up, didn't have a wash, brush your teeth, eat or anything. If he can make a piece of toast and eat it whilst playing, that'll save him 10 mins. If he can't then he's a liar. Taking a **** is a good 5 mins. These people that say that can never leave the house. It's possible to do it maybe once or twice, but people claim to do it regularly. Slash reckons he played for 12 hours a day for years when he first started. He was at school when he started, did he not skip school for years then? Or is he allowed to play in lessons.

EDIT: Also, that particular guitarist claims 12 hours, and still sucks! Amazing.

Steve vai did literally play for 10 - 15 hours a day, he had his guitar in his hands while he was eating, even while he was taking a crap, he said so in an article anyway. So yeah...he really did play that much.

Quote by joseche
no no no, I meant this:

1) practice any exercise or scale for 1 minute and 30 seconds

2) rest for 30 seconds

3) increase the metronome 1 bpm and go back to step 1

This as long as you do it right, playing clean and without tension.

So for lets say .... 2 hours session you can go from your slow speed to your current speed.

From professionals I have heard different versions of this routine, with some subtile variations, what I am trying to do is to get some of the experience from people that really have worked this out, so please do not spam here

Well, I think in 90 seconds you've barely got into the exercise, why rest for 30 after? I mean it might well work but I'd just feel like I was barely practicing.

Although it's good that you know that you work from slow-> current and not current-> new amazing speed shred!
Usually about 2mins 30 at one tempo then up it 10bpm, then down 5, up 10, down 5, up 10, down 5, etc.
Quote by Ikonoklast

If you're going to be that picky about it why not include the time between exercises? That must shave off at least an hour over the course of a day...

Seriously man, you're taking this way too seriously; it's all in the name of FUN.

Incidentally, on days when I don't have to do anything else I can quite easily play for a good 6 hours without actually thinking a thing of it, if I sit down to really practice I could probably waste DAYS at a time.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you're going to be that picky about it why not include the time between exercises? That must shave off at least an hour over the course of a day...

Seriously man, you're taking this way too seriously; it's all in the name of FUN.

Incidentally, on days when I don't have to do anything else I can quite easily play for a good 6 hours without actually thinking a thing of it, if I sit down to really practice I could probably waste DAYS at a time.

All i'm saying is people that caim to play 16+ hours a day are liars. Most people aren't awake for 16 hours a day, let alone playing guitar for that long.

True the most i've ever done is about 20 hours, but that was without leaving my room, only for toilet breaks. That was no eating, no sleeping, no going out, having a bath/wash, going anywhere. These people must have absolutely nothing else to do in their lives, and i just don't buy it. Next someone will be saying they play for 25 hours a day.
Quote by se012101
1:30 non-stop is hard on your hands, and it's hard to focus at 100% that long. I'd go more like -

0:30 - play
0:05-0:10 - rest
Then repeat.

Couple of benefits here - it's easier to focus intensely for shorter bursts. The rest is not long enough to get cold, but enough to give your hands a break.

Regarding the metronome - base your bumps on the progress you make, not on a pre-defined plan.

^ great advice

TS:
Don't forget to add playing music on your musical instrument to your practice routine.
shred is gaudy music
Ok, I was beginning to wonder after I'd written my post if you meant practice for 90 mins, increase bpm by 1, then practice for another 90, etc. Which would be insane!

Anyway, regarding bpm and what not, if my top speed is 150 on a given lick (clean, but difficult with maybe occasional mistakes), I'll typically take it from about 40 to 105 on a given day. Around 2, maybe 3 minutes at each tempo, going up in increments of 5-10 bpm. If it's a non-looping lick, I'll just pause for a beat or two between repetitions within the same tempo. Each time I increase the tempo, I'll give it 10 or 15 secs and stretch for a moment. 20-30 minutes for each exercise or lick, then give it a nice 5 min break to give my hands and mind a rest*.
Every 4th or 5th day, I'll push the speed, not into the realm of bad technique, but to the point where the lick is definately difficult, to mix things up a bit. This gives me some valuable info about where I need to focusing the most - if you were to practice slow all the time, you might not know where the weaknesses lie. There's also a mental aspect to this in making sure that your brain doesn't get so accustomed to playing slow that it says "oh sh*t better tense up!" when the tempo is fast.

The 5 minute rest is important. Even if a person has excellent technique, it's not like your hands aren't working. You need to rest them.

Quote by Ikonoklast

About 6 months ago, I started writing the time in my practice log. Just the start and stop time for each thing I work on, with a short comment, like "felt good" or "watch out for such and such next time". So from the start and stop time you get the actual time spent on the guitar,physically playing. It's surprising when you add up all the times to get the ACTUAL time spent on the guitar for the day. Like you'll be playing for 7 hrs, and when you add the time up you get 4.5-5 hrs or so. So yeah, I have a bit of trouble believing the 12, 16 hour figures you occasionally hear, except in maybe one or two extreme cases (the Vai 10 hr figure probably isnt that far off, I imagine).
Quote by Ikonoklast
All i'm saying is people that caim to play 16+ hours a day are liars. Most people aren't awake for 16 hours a day, let alone playing guitar for that long.

So what if you don't believe their claims? You seem to be treating it like some kind of penis-measuring contest, if they're lying it's their problem not yours.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
ehh I think it wouldnt be impossible because theres alot of people that dont bathe but every few days but I usually get in around 8-10 hours depends on what my days got in store for me if I randomly run off with a friend its usually only for a couple hours and then im back on the guitar other than that I get off to talk to my gf or go see her
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
30 minutes practicing non-stop seems to much for me, for example if your top speed is X, then you set your metronome to X-20 bpm, practicing that for 30 minutes without any break will kill me.

Is that the way you usually practice ?
That depends how tense you are at X-20. It's best to practice at whatever tempo you're still loose at, and you'll find stamina is closely related to efficient movements and avoiding tension. I normally practice at around X-140, so I don't have problems with physical stamina - it's more mental stamina will let you down with that.
thanks freepower, insightful, so it means you start around X-140 and then keep it there for that session ?, how long did it take you to reach > 160bpm for lets say the major scale ? (16ths)
Well, if it's an exercise, for building co-ordination I'd take between around 25-40 over about 15 minutes. This is dull unless you create challenging exercises.

For strength or stamina trainging, I'd probably push it up to about X-40 and stay there for at least 5 minutes straight. Depending on what I'm playing that can be fine or it can be murder.

Finally, reaching 160bpm is a vague goal. Picking, legato? Excellent tone? Flawless or sloppy? Etc, etc.

Really, I'm satisfied with my picking - how it sounds and feels at 160, and that's taken a loooooong time, because of the many bad habits I build early in my playing. I played with "spastic elbow" - ie, extreme tension and zero accuracy, and believed I was fast.
You were fast...but it just wasn't pleasant...oh boy how many times have I heard that!