The flat fifth interval is no longer dissonant in my ears at all..... I don't know what to do!
What you mean is that it is no longer unpleasant. It is still very dissonant.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
What you mean is that it is no longer unpleasant. It is still very dissonant.

what he said.

does Black sabbath - black sabbath still sound creepy as hell? then you're fine.
black sabbath sounds very consonant... norwegian death metal in B standard soudns consonant.... The major scale creeps me out tho
Quote by vp_nyc
black sabbath sounds very consonant... norwegian death metal in B standard soudns consonant.... The major scale creeps me out tho

I'm not entirely sure you understand what "dissonant" means. It's not nearly as subjective as you're suggesting.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Before I go to bed...I play this track of repeating stacked b9's...it's the only way I can get to sleep at night.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by one vision
I think he simply got used to the sound of it.

That's what happens.

Frank Zappa has achieved the highest level of dissonance tolerance.

Zappa has some surprisingly "melodious" work. Peaches En Regalia is honestly one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever heard.
^Yup, that's one of my favorite instrumental tracks of his as well.

Some of his rock stuff is competely "simple". If i recall, I think "Bobby Brown Goes Down" uses a simple chord progression of I vi IV V. This is just going by ear when I listen on the bus though I might be wrong.

Some of his stuff is completely ridiculous though, but then again, he was experimental/progressive.
Quote by one vision
^Yup, that's one of my favorite instrumental tracks of his as well

I had the pleasure of seeing it performed live (and flawlessly) last Monday
Zappa used alot of time "Simple progressions" as main idea. It's how he harmonises and everything that's going in the "back" what makes it so nice and where the true genius lies

And those small "Visionary" interludes, which shows sometimes in Vai's work. (intro of yankee rose)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 11, 2009,
Generally most people will consider tritones dissonant (by definition) but not as unstable as seventh and ninths. In classical music, dissonance is every non-chord tone and seventh, ninth, fourth (usually) and augmented/diminished harmonic intervals. It's not a matter of something "sounding" dissonant, it's a matter of the fact that it just is dissonant.

If what you mean by "dissonant" as crap sounding, then it's completely dependent on how you use it. If you use tritones right (as in, prepare and resolve them right) they'll sound fine.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Generally most people will consider tritones dissonant (by definition) but not as unstable as seventh and ninths. In classical music, dissonance is every non-chord tone and seventh, ninth, fourth (usually) and augmented/diminished harmonic intervals. It's not a matter of something "sounding" dissonant, it's a matter of the fact that it just is dissonant.

If what you mean by "dissonant" as crap sounding, then it's completely dependent on how you use it. If you use tritones right (as in, prepare and resolve them right) they'll sound fine.

Technically speaking if you think in intervals, you play a tritone when playing dom 7th chords. Which is probably why they sound major, but also neutral (1 maj3rd interval and 1 tritone interval stacked)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Technically speaking if you think in intervals, you play a tritone when playing dom 7th chords. Which is probably why they sound major, but also neutral (1 maj3rd interval and 1 tritone interval stacked)
Dom7th chords are usually okay because you don't usually voice them so the lowest note makes a tritone with the second lowest note or the highest note.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by michal23
Anybody else think TS is a troll?
Yeah...or something.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed