For Christmas, I got a Vox Valvetronix AC30 and installed an EMG 81. I have been trying to get a tone close to Saosin's or KSE's, but haven't found anything worth storing. I want something with crunch when palm muting, and a good distortion setting that allows you to hear the chords being played, not just a distorted tone when strings are played, especially when they are picked individually. My problem is that getting that crunch has me turning up the gain high which makes the notes of chords indistinguishable. There are 2, maybe 3 amp settings that get kinda close, but still require some tweaking, they are UK Modern, Numetal, and US Hi-gain. I'm not sure where to start setting the gain, treble, mid, and bass knobs though.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction on where to start? Even something as simple as 'Saosin seems like the have the mid turned way down' is a huge help.
I assume you mean an AD30. The AC30 is actually one of the amps modeled on there. I'm not familiar with the tone of either of those groups, but I usually direct people to the site bellow when they have a new Valvetronix amp.

http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/DA15/AD15-30-50-100/model_1_score_1.html
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
What pick up did you have before? Maybe you should have gotten used to the amp before deciding on a pup. I guess if I was going to get a Valvetronix, i don't know if I would get an active pickup like that. Maybe a passive
Thanks for the site Zorched! That is a huge help.

I had a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, and I did try it with the amp for a while. I just didn't like the sound I was getting out of it, so I tried out the EMG 81 in the store and found that it was what I was looking for.