you mean on the actual body itself? only if you whack it, thats what i pickguard is for.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
only if you hit the guitar's wood.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by amason51
where do you buy metal picks

make them out of metal objects.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by amason51
where do you buy metal picks

gc, and i saw ads for them in guitar magazines...
you will get damage if your going mad, though poly is pretty hard stuff, and i think your safe as long as the pick isnt sharp or anything like that
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Snapple
you will get damage if your going mad, though poly is pretty hard stuff, and i think your safe as long as the pick isnt sharp or anything like that

See I'm trying to get pick wear.
I wanted to know if I would be able to accumulate it over time if I used a metal pick.
it depends on your playing style and what size the pick is. if you shred and use jazz picks it doesnt do anything. if you are a rhythm player it does.

i also reccomend you try crystal picks. they have a similar tone but with a smoother attack. they also supposedly dont wear away strings as much cause they cause less friction.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by cratskomodo
See I'm trying to get pick wear.
I wanted to know if I would be able to accumulate it over time if I used a metal pick.

oh, hehe, sorry, i dunno, poly is a really tough finish, nitro sure i think it would work, poly im not so sure, and even then, its years and years of playing assuming it would work

maybe your best bet would be to "relic" it, which im not into so i dont know exactly how thats done, probably with sandpaper or steel wool but thats only a guess
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
you can't get pick wear? you must be playing alot more gently than me... when spazzing out with a 2mm pick i've copped plenty of pick wear on guitars with and without pickguards. I think it adds character and don't mind it one bit personally. Now working on better pick-depth-gauging, but it's great fun anyway. I don't know how much u play your guitars, but my guitars start showing that kinda wear after only a month or two =D

i never use metal picks, and i don't think it's necessary if having pick-wear is all you're doing it for.
they're just scratches, but you can see it on certain angles, where it's just very matt now instead of glossy. I might have misunderstood what u meant by 'pickwear'
Quote by yenners
they're just scratches, but you can see it on certain angles, where it's just very matt now instead of glossy. I might have misunderstood what u meant by 'pickwear'

That's basically the starting of it.
I want it to go to the wood.
You'd have to whack it somewhat hard.

But really, with proper technique, your pick should never even touch the pickguard.
If you want to get to wood, buy some 400 grit sandpaper and be very careful... just sand away at the pain, checking your progres frequently.

If all you want to do is dull out the finish, wetsand with some 1000 grit or higher sandpaper. No higher than 1600 though, because then it get glossy a bit.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Poly guitars don't wear. Fender went to Poly in the 70's right? There are guitars from the 70's that look brand new. They don't wear, so trying to "fake" wear looks extremely fake