I'm a budding audiophile and music nut, and I need some help setting up a good audio system for my room. I would like to have a 5.1 surround sound setup, with my computer and record player running through it. Right now I'm looking at:

A yamaha 5.1 receiver
a yamaha 5.1 speaker setup (to be spread around the room)
OR
A polk audio 5 piece speaker setup
with a polk audio 10 inch sub (Since the polk speaker setup doesn't come with one)

I'm not set on any of this and I'm open to any suggestions.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
get what ive got. mesa boogie power amp (which i also use for guitar and for my pa system) with iriver (ipod thing), motu pc audio interface and a record player and Yamaha monitors
Last edited by IamAhab at Jan 10, 2009,
Personally I just use my computer for music. Winamp + Izotope Ozone MP + Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire P5800 speakers.

Not top of the line stuff but sounds very nice to my ears, and I'm fussier than most when it comes to audio.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
Personally I just use my computer for music. Winamp + Izotope Ozone MP + Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire P5800 speakers.

Not top of the line stuff but sounds very nice to my ears, and I'm fussier than most when it comes to audio.

One of the reasons I'm doing this is to simplify my setup. Right now I've got some ify logitech speakers for my pc, and a complex setup for my record player that only halfworks adsouneds bad.

Basicly I need this to run my computer into, which covers my cd's and dvd's (its basicly a hometheater system, its got a 25.5in moniter, hd, etc), and my record player, which is a decent bit of music itsself.

basically, discover technics... whips yamaha everytime... although, for a budding audiophile, you have good taste
That polk sub is nice.

I'd look into lesser known and independent brands if you want the best results though. Seriously just get an issue of what hi-fi if you're starting out. I dont really have a good set up for my PC so I'm not one to talk.