Hey guys i was wondering how Synyster, and even better, Dimebag does the dive bomb squealies throughout his songs...Ive seen videos of both of them doing it, but there explanation wasn't very well.. Any insights??
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,
and they shall be forever known as the person i cannot escape in the pit

^Me

Valveking Wiki
there are hundreds of videos of people explaining it on youtube, just search it
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
pinch harmonic and then use whammy bar (preferably floyd Rose). lol idc if i get flamed on, Syn is awesome!!!
pinch harmonic + floyd rose
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
not really pinch harmonic i think. do a natural harmonic with the whammy pressed down first then pull it up after the harmonic rings
at the end of the solo on afterlife, syn does a natural harmonic and then pulls up on the floyd rose.

Proud member of the LGBTQQ group.
Quote by disillusia
not really pinch harmonic i think. do a natural harmonic with the whammy pressed down first then pull it up after the harmonic rings

you can do it with natural harmonics too, but it's more commonly used with pinches...
So hammer on the 4th fret and pull off so it rings on the G string...make sure your muting all other strings with your other fingers and thumb. Than once you pull off immediatley go over to the fret marker like your doing a natural harmonic than dive on the IBANEZ ZERO RESISTANCE Trem and pull up on the trem...you'll figure it out once you hear it once
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
Well you knew what I meant if you were correcting it :P
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
Quote by EvoLancer211
Well you knew what I meant if you were correcting it :P

Ahahah nah, I was referring to the TS. I didn't even acknowledge you. Get over yourself.
Last edited by Fryer Mike at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by EvoLancer211
So hammer on the 4th fret and pull off so it rings on the G string...make sure your muting all other strings with your other fingers and thumb. Than once you pull off immediatley go over to the fret marker like your doing a natural harmonic than dive on the IBANEZ ZERO RESISTANCE Trem and pull up on the trem...you'll figure it out once you hear it once

Just a normL hammer on? And the pull off
Whamy dive will get this sound? Cuz with syn it looks like a natural harm with his
Thumb blocking it...at least the dive bomb session
I saw on utube did.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
What dimebag does is with his Left Hand pinky, he flicks the open G string, then dives with the whammy, THEN hits a harmonic. The highest he goes is 2.25, which I think is really the highest you can get can. In Floods, that harmonic at the end of the solo is actually 4 different notes: Two whammy squeals, and two with the digitech whammy bar.

Here is a video of Dimebag explaining it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TpYcA9bSaU
I'm 99% sure it's always done with a natural harmonic because pinches don't ring out because they fret-out.

There are a few good ways of doing it.

1. Pick the harmonic and then fly around with the whammy bar.

2. Whip the harmonic with your ring or middle finger causing it to strike the natural harmonic and fly around with the whammy bar. Make sure to not to fret the string or you will mute it, but hit it hard enough to ring out. It's best to practice over the 5th and 7th frets because they're defined enough to know where to hit and ring out louder when struck.

3. Put your index fingernail under the string, flip it outward to make it ring out to an open note, dive down, touch the natural harmonic, pull up.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Okay thanks guys I'll check it out.
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
You'll need a floyd, unless you can figure out how to whammy without a whammy bar....
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
1: Dip bar
2: Get the 3rd fret harmonic on the g string.
3: Pull up bar
4: ???
5: Profit.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Last edited by WH15P3R at Jan 13, 2009,