I'm going to be going from NY State to Southern PA tomorrow morning. It's a four hour drive, and the climate change shouldn't be too drastic. However, would it be a good idea to drop the tuning down on the strings? If so, how much?
probably not necessary, but wouldn't hurt

the general rule of thumb is to detune 2 steps down if traveling by airplane (because of the pressure change) or extreme climate change
Okay, I was just making sure, since when I got it it was completely out of tune, way way way low and not in any intervals.
Nope, don't need to.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by argentotenebre

the general rule of thumb is to detune 2 steps down if traveling by airplane (because of the pressure change) or extreme climate change

wrong, it's unnecessary to detune at all, even if on a plane.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by argentotenebre

I thought the purpose was to decrease stress forces on the neck in case the guitar takes a fall. Very easy for a guitar to get "whiplash" (headstock snapping off) because of all that tension.

Your guitar is not a bottle of shampoo, it's not going to be affected by changes in air pressure. As for climate change, as long as you have a good case the humidity will stay pretty constant. Temperaturewise, your guitar might get very cold if it's traveling in the hold, but still all you need to worry about is the finish checking if it warms back up too quickly. Just let it warm up slowly in the case when you get your guitar back.