Has anyone ever gone to college in pursuit of this degree, or is anyone currently in college pursuing this degree?
I want to become a producer, but I'm having a hard time finding colleges that offer this program. I've only found one that is in my area, but it is only a 2-year program. Is this typical for this type of degree? Just general info about your time in college while studying this would be helpful.

Thanks
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Yeah...I figured as much.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by evanm31
Don't plan on getting laid.

When he producin dat hip hop he be rollin' in a hummer on 28's.

you call that not gettin laid?
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
im going to school for business and a concentration in audio recording technologies. that was the closest i found to an actual degree in it. five towns college
GEAR
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squire Strat
Peavey Bandit 65
Zoom 505II
Universiity of Miami, Berkeley, NYU, Drexel University to name a few. My top pick is Miami, they have undergrad and a masters.
Quote by evanm31
Don't plan on getting laid.

It's so that I can get the skills necessary to produce my own music, and work all of those fancy sound boards and stuff like that.
Of course, I'll be getting a job as an actual producer, but I'll always be making my own music.

Thanks to the people who have suggested schools. I'll look into them. Although I'd really like to stay in the Washington state area. The only school I've found here is the Art Institute of Seattle.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
I'm minoring in Audio Arts Production with a major in the Music Industry. I'm taking my first AA class this semester, and if you PM me in like a week and a half, I'll have all kinds of info about it for you. I'm at SUNY Oneonta in Oneonta New York.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
I'm minoring in Audio Arts Production with a major in the Music Industry. I'm taking my first AA class this semester, and if you PM me in like a week and a half, I'll have all kinds of info about it for you. I'm at SUNY Oneonta in Oneonta New York.

That would be nice. I'll definitely remember to do that. Thanks
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by SGstriker
It's so that I can get the skills necessary to produce my own music, and work all of those fancy sound boards and stuff like that.
Of course, I'll be getting a job as an actual producer, but I'll always be making my own music.

Thanks to the people who have suggested schools. I'll look into them. Although I'd really like to stay in the Washington state area. The only school I've found here is the Art Institute of Seattle.

Just like that, huh?

Not if I beat you to it.
Quote by Chaosinborn
University of Miami

Is that the only good one in Florida?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by alaub1491
Just like that, huh?

Not if I beat you to it.

Well, not right off the bat. That's why I'm posting this thread. I don't know much about the steps involved. I'm stuck on the basic step of proper college education.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by SGstriker
Well, not right off the bat. That's why I'm posting this thread. I don't know much about the steps involved. I'm stuck on the basic step of proper college education.

You see what I've found is getting into a lot of these programs is very challenging because they're usually very small.

I've found that you need a portfolio of your recording work along with a long list of things you've done to show why your the best candidate. At least it was like that for Drexel.

I don't know how many programs there are in Washington, you may have to look out of the state.
i know 8 guys who did audio engineering degrees/diplomas. 2 got different jobs in music, 1 has his own studio 1 works for another studio and the rest are working in crappy jobs

not exactly a 'growth' industry
Yes, there are degrees available at colleges. I have a friend who is doing his and it is also a 2 (or 2.5) year program. I wouldn't get such a degree because the business is already so saturated that it is not that easy to get a good job (my friend doing the program also tells me this). He has also told me that people have to work their way up from "runners" (producer's bitch) even if they have a degree in it. Doesn't sound like a very good field of work IMO.
EDIT: To the guy above - exactly something like that.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Yes, there are degrees available at colleges. I have a friend who is doing his and it is also a 2 (or 2.5) year program. I wouldn't get such a degree because the business is already so saturated that it is not that easy to get a good job (my friend doing the program also tells me this). He has also told me that people have to work their way up from "runners" (producer's bitch) even if they have a degree in it. Doesn't sound like a very good field of work IMO.
EDIT: To the guy above - exactly something like that.

Well. My situation and mindset for wanting this type of job is: Not going to college is not an option for me. Not doing something related to music for a living is not an option for me. I'd really love to make music for a living, but they don't really offer a degree for that that I have noticed...
I know it sounds kind of child-ish, but that's really how I feel. I need to be in a music-related career.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Art Institute of Vancouver?

You mess with the flag, you're still a spade
^ That schools program for Audio Recording is much wider than the one in Seattle. It seems to go more in depth. I'll have to get more info on that.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by figerade
Art Institute of Vancouver?

Yes.
TS - you will get to make almost no music yourself, but have to deal with tons of music that you probably won't even like.
Where are you from?
Here in Canada there are plenty of schools that offer this program. I'm going into my second term at Metalworks Institute here in Ontario.

When I was choosing my college, I found that the longest program was two years, generally. There was only one that is three years. Mine is Audio Engineering and Production, it's a 1 year (11 months) program, covers a lot of stuff.

Feel free to message me with any questions

And to the one above me ^ - that's not true at all.... at least not in my experience.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Yes.
TS - you will get to make almost no music yourself, but have to deal with tons of music that you probably won't even like.

This is what I'm thinking.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Computers and technology will make your job in criticaly low demand and eventually obsolete, possibly before you even earn your degree. I would say dont waste your time and effort in a college course that is hard to find in the first place, just so you can graduate into a world that doesnt need you.
This is pretty heart-breaking. Hearing all this from you guys. I wanted to go to an Audio-Visual Technology course.
Baby, can you dig your man?
He's a righteous man,
Baby, can you dig your man?

- Larry Underwood
Last edited by amisuary at Jan 15, 2009,
Quote by SGstriker
Has anyone ever gone to college in pursuit of this degree, or is anyone currently in college pursuing this degree?

No. No one has ever gone to college in pursuit of this degree, and no one is currently in college pursuing this degree.

Quote by SGstriker
Thanks

You're welcome.
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
I am trying to follow a program in two years that combines a degree as a studio musician and a producer. But first I need to up my skills a bit. I r teh suxor.