Page 1 of 2
Boss Hyper Metal HM-3 vs. Boss Heavy Metal HM-2

Hey guys i've come across both of these and was wondering, which would suit Trivium, Killswitch Engange & various modern metal bands? Or would they both pull it off with ease.

Thank you!
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Last edited by bucketmark at Jan 10, 2009,
Id personally reccomend something a little more updated like a Boss Metal Zone. I use the metal zone all the time. Itll pull off killswitch and any metal band with ease. Theyll run you about $100, but take this advice. Never go cheap on pedals or amps. Buy the best you can afford, and if theres something better, save up your case.
You'd be better off with an Overdrive for Killswitch Engage. Don't know why everyone thinks distortion is needed for metal.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Or buy a nice amp with an overdrive channel. Its Easier. Whys everyone so hostile towards the metal zone? Ill admit theyre a pain in the ass to sit up, but they sound pretty good cranked up. Cant vouch for a metal muff though. never tryed one.
Why would i buy a pedal if i could buy an amp
Obviously i can't afford a new amp that's why i am going for a pedal.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Wow, no offence but i don't think youno what you're talking about. The ML-2 is just fuzzy and the DS-1 is horrible for metal.

i know my stuff. im stateing stuff IMO tho. If you know what youre doing, you can make any pedal sound good. your just gotta toy around with em.
Orange Crush 30R, Don't tell me to get a new amp cause i love the cleans and it LOVES pedals.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Get an overdrive channel, and buy yourself a high-gain OD pedal. It'll be metal, but you'll be able to hear everything you play, unlike distortion.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Get an overdrive channel? I've got one
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Then buy yourself a good Overdrive that you can use to boost your current OD.
Quote by chip46
I asked about that in other thread and everyone just said don't do it.

I'm just looking for a nice smooth distortion, nothing fancy.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
The thing is.. metal muff's are $220AUD..
This hyper metal and heavy metal is $95 and $80
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
HM-2. Instant death metal tone. Also, Kurt Ballou of Converge used one with a Marshall JMP and an Ampeg V4 during the band's Jane Doe era until he started using Bad Cats and THDs as the source of his sound.
I'm not looking for death metal, I just want a trivium tone without buying a 6505+
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Get the HM-2 for sure.
they sound pretty cool.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
The HM2 is a great pedal. It is basically the sound of the Gothenburg metal. I've used it before and unlike the metal zone it doesn't sound like a box of bees (crap). I'm not sure about the HM3 (never tried it) but the HM2 is great. You can pull off lots of distortion with it.
Ok thanks, the last 3 posts have actually been helpful lol
So the HM2 can defiantly pull off modern metal with ease?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
It should do that easily, but try it out yourself first (as you always should).
I can get HM3 for $105 shipped and the HM2 is on ebay for $60 plus 10 shipping with 5 hours left, should i try get the HM2 first?
I heard that the Hyper Metal is more like a JCM900 and Heavy Metal is JCM800.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
Wow, no offence but i don't think youno what you're talking about. The ML-2 is just fuzzy and the DS-1 is horrible for metal.

i know my stuff. im stateing stuff IMO tho. If you know what youre doing, you can make any pedal sound good. your just gotta toy around with em.

EPIC FAIL
thats like saying you can make dog crap taste good by adding salt
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
lol ^
so im gunna start bidding on the hm-2 if i lose it im gunna get the hm-3 sound good?

Are they better then the ML2 and MT2?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Ermm... Dude, I think you might end up a mite dissapointed with the HM-2, A friend of mine used to own both the HM-2 and HM-3 and whilst the HM-2 is an awesome pedal I don't think it's going to give you the sound you're looking for. It's a pretty old model, IMO the sound it gives out is like an old school Black Sabbathish type thing, which as I said is an awesome sound but I'm just not sure it's gonna rock like you want it. The HM-3 is pretty awesome, I think you're more likely to get the sound you're after from it.
so the hm-2 is suited more for 80's old-school metal.. i'm looking for modern.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
I normally play in Drop D and not looking for like, IN YOUR FACE BROTAL.
I can get the HM-3 for $105 or theres a HM-2 on ebay with 1 hour 10 minutes to go for $60 no bids.
Just need a smooth modern tone.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Last edited by bucketmark at Jan 11, 2009,
I'd reccommend a Metal Muff. I searched the Australian eBay and there is some on there at buy it now for about $106 Australian Dollars, which is a pretty good price considering it is better than the HM-2 in my opinion. (I have no experience with the HM3)

Edit: Some of them have pretty high shipping prices though as some are from the USA, so it will cost a fair little bit more than the Boss pedals. Still though if you would spend more for them then it's a good deal.
Last edited by AdamDK at Jan 11, 2009,
Yeah but thats gunna go up to over $130 i betcha,
So the HM-2 can't really do modernised metal but the HM-3 can?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
Yeah but thats gunna go up to over $130 i betcha,
So the HM-2 can't really do modernised metal but the HM-3 can?

Like I say, I have no experience with the HM-3 so I can't help you there. But the Heavy Metal when I tried it sounded alright for modern metal, not too great, but better than the boss Metalcore pedals.
Ok thanks!
The HM-2 has like 40 minutes left or should i get the HM-3?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
I think i shall, thank you sir.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Anyone else able to back up the HM-3 over the HM-2 for modern metal?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Thanks! the HM-2 seems a less ballsy, I need balls.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Page 1 of 2