I want to add a straight up fuzz to my line up, maybe a Big Muff? But I play through a clean signal (Put the Master at 12 and the volume at w.e.) and use OD to distort it when I want it distorted. So when I put distortion on through the clean channel it becomes very high pitched and obnoxious sounding. So I was wondering if I put a fuzz through it, would it do that to my tone?
Feed your mind.
Sounds like your problem is that you are getting feedback. You would need a noisegate to fix that, but getting a fuzz would not really change anything because it would still most likely feedback the way you described it does now.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Sounds like your problem is that you are getting feedback. You would need a noisegate to fix that, but getting a fuzz would not really change anything because it would still most likely feedback the way you described it does now.

It's not feedback. The Tone is just very whiny.
Feed your mind.
well the muff does have a tone knob, so it's bound to change your tone, but it's also possible to change it to your liking.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
well the muff does have a tone knob, so it's bound to change your tone, but it's also possible to change it to your liking.

My OD has a Tone Knob to, but it doesn't make my tone all whiny like distortion does.
Feed your mind.
Cut some treble?

EDIT: Or presence if you have a knob for that.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by abcdboy
Cut some treble?

EDIT: Or presence if you have a knob for that.

That doesn't do anything, it still remains whiny and obnoxious. If I put the Volume on max instead of the master volume, and use the master volume as a normal volume knob, then distortion is fine, but my base tone isn't clean.
Feed your mind.
what od are you using, its probably something with the pedal
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Best way to find out:

1. Get your amp
2. Turn it to desired settings
3. Put fuzz in front
4. Listen
5. Decide if you like the sound.

Simple, yet effective.
Quote by lbj273
what od are you using, its probably something with the pedal

It's always been like this, even without the OD.
Feed your mind.
What amp is this?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
if it's a tube amp, you probably have a blown tube
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
if it's a tube amp, you probably have a microphonic preamp tube

Fixed
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
check the preamp tubes. tap them with a screwdriver. do you hear anything? If yes... replace that t00b. If no... I dunno.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Have you ever used a fuzz before? Like, with your amp, running your exact setup? It is a good idea to do so.
Quote by oneblackened
check the preamp tubes. tap them with a screwdriver. do you hear anything? If yes... replace that t00b. If no... I dunno.

Which ones are the preamp tubes?

To gooley: I don't own a fuzz so I've never tried it.

Edit: Tapped all the ones I could see, and it just sounds like I'm hitting it, nothings rattling.
Feed your mind.
Last edited by Firebread at Jan 11, 2009,
The small ones are preamp tubes.

I doubt it's a tube problem.

You NEED to try out a fuzz in front of your amp to determine if it will have a positive or negative impact on your tone. I don't know what "whiney" means, so I don't know how to fix it.
Quote by imgooley
The small ones are preamp tubes.

I doubt it's a tube problem.

You NEED to try out a fuzz in front of your amp to determine if it will have a positive or negative impact on your tone. I don't know what "whiney" means, so I don't know how to fix it.

I'll go to GC and see if they'll let me use a fuzz through my amp.
Feed your mind.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat

as a big muff owner i have to say that's debatable

If you're looking for a straight up fuzz then the big muff isn't really what you want as it's not quite a fuzz-tone. it's more of an overdrive with a fuzzy quality to it.

The tone knob also pretty much renders the thing useless for playing live, as below 12 o'clock it boosts the bass too much and you basically get nothing but bass and some lower midrange, so no definition or presence, but turn it up past 12 o'clock, you lose some bass, and gain some treble (it can almost get fizzy), but it also scoops the midrange severely, so you get a tone with a big gap in it which doesn't allow the guitar to fill out the space of the mix the guitar is supposed to fit into. I'm considering modding mine so it has a tone bypass.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
You are supposed to turn your amp on and turn up the gain when you tap the tubes to check whether or not they are microphonic
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Gah.

Big Muff's are very fuzzy.

A thick, nasty, spittin' fuzz.

It's not like a fuzz-face fuzz.
Quote by lbj273
You are supposed to turn your amp on and turn up the gain when you tap the tubes to check whether or not they are microphonic

preamp tubes are going to make noise when they are tapped, that's not going to show a microphonic tube, it's the powertubes that should make no noise when they are tapped. If a preamp tube breaks out into oscillations or whistling when tapped, it's a good way to diagnose a problem tube, but just tapping them will result in noise as a normal function of the amp.

I wouldn't tap them with something like a screwdriver either, it doesn't need to be hit hard at all. A fingernail or an eraser head tapping them lightly works fine. Just try not to tap where the glass hot, at the top of the tube dependent on orientation.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids