How do you nail the sounds Jonny Buckland is making, in particular the ones he's making in Viva La Vida (the album as a whole)?

I notice that at least with the guitar, he's using a Thinline Tele. Is it essential at all to his sound, or are effects doing most of the work?
Last edited by Always-Ben at Jan 11, 2009,
I'm pretty sure the first requirement to getting his tone is being attracted to the same sex as yourself.
Quote by freddaahh
I just head-desked so hard I went through the floor and came out in Mongolia.
Quote by sk8erk1d1313
I'm pretty sure the first requirement to getting his tone is being attracted to the same sex as yourself.

You're funny.

I'm guessing Fender amps.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by sk8erk1d1313

haha
Fender guitars into fender amps (deville or deluxe I'm thinking) then throw in some reverb and delay
Watch this video, it'll show you where they get their sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMcjXo8ZuqE
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
Watch this video, it'll show you where they get their sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMcjXo8ZuqE

Burn. But that lawsuit is so stupid. There's like 1 part in his song that sounds like that. MANY songs sound the same. There's a song that sounds like Satriani's that was made 3 years earlier.

To get Coldplay sound though, you cram crap in your pick ups and play.
First you will need this amp
Amp
This Guitar
Guitar
This Pedal
Pedal
One of these straps
Strap
These Picks
picks
If your gonna play live or record this mic package
Mics
If you can't afford that guitar put one of these in your current one
Pickup
And if you can't afford a halfstack this will do i guess
Combo

And of course you'll need these it's the most important element to the whole sound
IMPORTANT!!!!

And know you have it for viva la vida down pat...
Keep On Keepen' On
Last edited by JessyB96 at Jan 11, 2009,
I like how everyone is using a 5 second section of 2 songs to rip into a band they hate.

As for Johnny, he is married and has kids.

For his tone, he uses a '72 thinline tele into marshall amps with reverb, some delay, maybe a tubescreamer for OD stuff, he uses a slide and ebow here and there. It's a very hollow sound... not really thin, just very lifeless and subtle. I'd say alnico 2 pickups would be good as they don't color your tone very much and are low-output. Turn down your guitar's volume and tone knob, turn down the treble on the amp and it should get close.
Not sure about the guitar tone but i'm sure it has at least delay and some sort of effects module. last time i watched them he seemed to be playing the synths more

oh and for all the Satriani vs Coldplay stuff:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OEGGFJLpbu4

I'm not trying to bash ether of the bands but there is an interesting similarity.
But sometimes people just do it without knowing they've copied a song

I mean lets be honest how many people here think that coldplay listen to satriani? theres a 50/50 chance they havn't even heard if i could fly.
just look up what gear Joe Satriani uses, it will most likely be the same......
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Well, I guess the above responses sum it up. Get gay, sleep with a few guys, buy ALL of Joe Satriani's gear, and you will get your Coldplay tone.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Quote by cohen5250
Well, I guess the above responses sum it up. Get gay, sleep with a few guys, buy ALL of Joe Satriani's gear, and you will get your Coldplay tone.

Already been said, and proven wrong, therefor not cool or funny.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Im glad others like me restrained in doing satriani jokes >_>

all jokes and more important law suits aside :P, it shouldnt be too hard to achieve Buckland's tone
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by JessyB96
First you will need this amp
Amp
This Guitar
Guitar
This Pedal
Pedal
One of these straps
Strap
These Picks
picks
If your gonna play live or record this mic package
Mics
If you can't afford that guitar put one of these in your current one
Pickup
And if you can't afford a halfstack this will do i guess
Combo

And of course you'll need these it's the most important element to the whole sound
IMPORTANT!!!!

And know you have it for viva la vida down pat...

Satch vs. Coldplay FTW
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Last edited by Audioslave95 at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by Baby Joel
Already been said, and proven wrong, therefor not cool or funny.

Unfortunately for you it hasnt been proven wrong. There has been no news on the court case for a few months now.

But that post with all of Joe's gear just made me lol

I personally not get another practice amp liek your thinking of. I would save up a decent amount of cash, and once you get about 500-1000 saved up then you upgrade. I know the wait would kill you, but its worth it.
Beware : I am honest, but not brutal
Proven wrong for the gay thing. Not the court thing.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
Proven wrong for the gay thing. Not the court thing.

OH, lol my mistake.

I could care less about a person orientation.

But yea, save up for something really good mate!
I loled
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Actually all the posts making the awful jokes in defense of Satriani make the posters out to be the ****ty IGNORANT sheep that they are. Melody does not mean the same as Tone you ****ing morons. If you're going to make a joke actually know what the **** you're even talking about. If anything the bigger joke is that most of Satriani's gear sounds like absolute **** anyways, I've tried the amp with one of my friends JS (an old one at that since he's a diehard Satriani sheeple like you ****heads) and it sounded absolutely terrible and muddy as ****. Not to mention even his new pedal sounds muddy (surprise surprise).
Quote by Wakisazhi
Actually all the posts making the awful jokes in defense of Satriani make the posters out to be the ****ty IGNORANT sheep that they are. Melody does not mean the same as Tone you ****ing morons. If you're going to make a joke actually know what the **** you're even talking about. If anything the bigger joke is that most of Satriani's gear sounds like absolute **** anyways, I've tried the amp with one of my friends JS (an old one at that since he's a diehard Satriani sheeple like you ****heads) and it sounded absolutely terrible and muddy as ****. Not to mention even his new pedal sounds muddy (surprise surprise).

Only in the eyes of the beholder.

I am not going to become a troll, but will say I like coldplay too and lets leave it at that.

Im sure theres another thread specifically for this argument
Quote by Wakisazhi

I think we know melody != tone...

Because that's like saying powerchords become automatically distorted.

Oh and tell your friend to EQ his stuff right if it sounds muddy. Satriani doesn't have a problem with that gear.

Anyway, to get Coldplay's tone, you need to shave your head and start playing Ibanez.
Jonny uses a Vintage 72' Thinline and Fender Hot Rod Deville Amps. The current re-issue is thinline is very similar but not the same. Some modifications such as 1meg pots would help. Reverb and delay is a must be he uses a **** load of pedals.

http://whataboutjonbuckland.tk/ shows a lot his stuff. He uses a vintage RAT for overdrive and fuzz. Lifeless sound?? I think he has an amazing tone (pre Viva La Vida tho).
Quote by bapplebo
I think we know melody != tone...

Because that's like saying powerchords become automatically distorted.

Oh and tell your friend to EQ his stuff right if it sounds muddy. Satriani doesn't have a problem with that gear.

Anyway, to get Coldplay's tone, you need to shave your head and start playing Ibanez.

Well, satriani doesn't use the JSX too often, it's typically a blended amp. He's mostly using cranked Marshalls for a more authentic sound. The JSX sees more use at clinics and tour than in the studio.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
not tryin to start anything up again.... but coldplay said it was a coincidence...even though one of the members of coldplay is a satch fan
Whats up with all the Coldplay hate? They're good musicians. Not crazy virtuosos but they can play some good stuff.

To be honest I had never heard of the Satriani/Coldplay issue until this thread!

Now that I've heard the songs I have to say that Coldplay is screwed in court... assuming it hasn't been resolved yet.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Coldplay didnt copy satriani coz ss if coldplay would even LISTEN to satriani (no disrespect to him, i find him a great guitarist, but just trying to find ways to scab money)

btw i major part to get his tone is turn the tone on ur guitar knobs below 5, but not to 0
Quote by Yeti60
Whats up with all the Coldplay hate? They're good musicians. Not crazy virtuosos but they can play some good stuff.

I concur. However I believe you'll find that in a place that's mainly populated by people into heavier music, you're going to find some dislike for the softer side of music.

Also can't understand the Nickelback hate, but I'm assuming it's just 'cos nobody likes the sound of Chad Kroeger voice - otherwise musically they're not that bad.

Edit: Man, people really can't help themselves on the "LOL SATRIANIS SOUND LOLOLOLOLOLOL" jokes can they? I like both, so I'm not taking a stance on that bloody court case.