why does everyone but me and a few other people hate these amps?

what amp(s) would be more suitable for 80's thrash?
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Budget?
$300
Home or jam/gig?
gig
New or Used?
idc
Genres played outside of 80s?
metal in general, classic rock
closet major city?
Nashville TN
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
if you want to know why people hate this amp, use the search bar and search for "line 6 spider"

....you might also want to take steps to prevent severe burns from the massive flaming you will receive for posting this. such as:

A) deleting this post before more people log on.

B) donning your flame retardant clothing (a requirement for frequenting these forums)

C) running and pretending that you are not logged on.

good luck!

EDIT you might want to check out getting a marshall with a nice distortion pedal
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Jan 11, 2009,
it's funny though, all but 2 reviews on this site say its a great amp
Quote by webbtje
Quote by skwelcher

closet major city?
Nashville TN

f**K YEAH.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by skwelcher
it's funny though, all but 2 reviews on this site say its a great amp

yea, search the forum tho.

it is a great amp for practicing, but compare it to a tube amp (side by side) and you'll see a major difference. i didnt believe it until i did it myself (i own a 150 2x12 spider III)
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by skwelcher

Because the Spider 3 has a thin, lifeless tone. It's alright if your just using a low wattage one as a practice amp but when people get large wattage ones its just a waste of money.
Why are there always Spider 3 threads everyday?
I leik music
Quote by col50
Because the Spider 3 has a thin, lifeless tone. It's alright if your just using a low wattage one as a practice amp but when people get large wattage ones its just a waste of money.
Why are there always Spider 3 threads everyday?

what else would entertain us UG'ers?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
yea, search the forum tho.

it is a great amp for practicing, but compare it to a tube amp (side by side) and you'll see a major difference. i didnt believe it until i did it myself (i own a 150 2x12 spider III)

wat about the spider valve then?
Quote by webbtje
Quote by skwelcher

ok, as for the spider valve, i would try it first. evidentally it sounds much better at lower volumes, but it still sucks at higher volumes. plus, there are distinct reliability issues.

and i would stay the heck away from behringer tbh.

if i were you, i would find a sound that you are looking for and then get an all-tube non-modelling amp. dont rush or anything, but make that your goal. then buy individual pedals to give you your sound.

either that or a Pod XT with awesome headphones lol
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Try a Vypyr 75. I've been having problems with mine, but it sounds damned good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Try a Vypyr 75. I've been having problems with mine, but it sounds damned good.

that's a good bet too, but in the end, you would be moving more sideways in terms of quality than up. granted, the Vypyr is much better than the spider, but it is still a modelling amp. i personally beleive that you get a much better tone when you get a specific tube amp, with specific pedals, for specific sounds. taht way you can mold your tone to be exactly what you want

EDIT: sorry for the double post there
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
that's a good bet too, but in the end, you would be moving more sideways in terms of quality than up. granted, the Vypyr is much better than the spider, but it is still a modelling amp. i personally beleive that you get a much better tone when you get a specific tube amp, with specific pedals, for specific sounds. taht way you can mold your tone to be exactly what you want

EDIT: sorry for the double post there

I'd say it's up... The real difference is that the Vypyr uses the processors for effects/stompboxes only and the distortion is done by transtube (in an analog fashion).
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I'd say it's up... The real difference is that the Vypyr uses the processors for effects/stompboxes only and the distortion is done by transtube (in an analog fashion).

i understand that it is much better, dont get me wrong. but he already has a modelling amp, and now he wants to gig, why buy another modeller? why not go ahead ands tart spending the money on a tube amp and pedals? if you want the best tone, in the end, that is currently the best route. Vypyr's are great, so are line 6 flextones and such, but in the end they all just give you a sampling of other amps. like i said, in my opinion, it is much better to get a modeller, find sounds that you like, and then buy a tube amp and pedal combination that get you the 3 or 4 specific sounds that you will always use and love. that way you can truly develop your tone the way you like it.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
for paractice amps tehy are fine but people dont liek them because guys at GC push you twards em and on top of that people think they are the best thing since sliced bread and think they sound better than tube amps so its really because of noobs that people hate em so much... but to answer your question... JTM 800?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.
Ah, I see your point. I actually am considering returning my Vypyr... been booting wrong pretty much every time.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Ah, I see your point. I actually am considering returning my Vypyr... been booting wrong pretty much every time.

crap that sucks man...maybe you can send it back? good luck with that!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33

that infact is true...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.
Quote by bored_maniac33
crap that sucks man...maybe you can send it back? good luck with that!

It really does, man... I love the amp... when it works, that is.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
It really does, man... I love the amp... when it works, that is.

oy...i hate technology because i love it, and it doesn't return the favor
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by skwelcher
Budget?
$300
Home or jam/gig?
gig
New or Used?
idc
Genres played outside of 80s?
metal in general, classic rock
closet major city?
Nashville TN

UG locked up on me while I was searching so I took a screen shot

anyway, all I was going to say is there are tons of amps in your backyard - you just gotta know what to look for. Keep searching. Sorry your thread got so jacked up. The top one was a Vox Valvetronix AD50VT i believe.
Attachments:
nash Clist.JPG
Quote by bored_maniac33
oy...i hate technology because i love it, and it doesn't return the favor

Which is why I want a tube amp. When something gets ****ed up, it's pretty easily fixed.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
UG locked up on me while I was searching so I took a screen shot

anyway, all I was going to say is there are tons of amps in your backyard - you just gotta know what to look for. Keep searching. Sorry your thread got so jacked up. The top one was a Vox Valvetronix AD50VT i believe.

Yay 311ZOSOVHJH for being useful!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
Yay 311ZOSOVHJH for being useful!

ha - tnx

Here is that Classic 50 since it was already up. Not the best for metal so it depends on what you mean by metal. 80s thrash no problem. Modern metal would be tough I think but it is 50 watts and you could always run a pedal on it and run it clean.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/982017064.html

definitely nails classic rock and that other genre you mentioned earlier.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Did you do the upgrade patch yet?

Yep, I'm running 1.55.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by skwelcher
wat about the spider valve then?

I always have and always will say that the spider valve is a completely different amp compared to a spider III. It's not the best, but it's not the same. ITs about 736x better. Anyone who bashes them and hasn't tried it, go try one.
Sweet.
Quote by skwelcher

what amp(s) would be more suitable for 80's thrash?

If you like them why would you buy an other one? Just because some people here say it's no good? Don't care so much about what other people think about you or your gear.

You'll figure out why it's not good eventually. If you figured it out, then get a new amp.
Quote by bored_maniac33
ok, as for the spider valve, i would try it first. evidentally it sounds much better at lower volumes, but it still sucks at higher volumes. plus, there are distinct reliability issues.

have you ever actually heard or tried a spider valve at higher volumes? or ever tried one at all?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by MegadethFan
That blows, my 75 is running great; maybe you should just exchange it for another VYPYR

I really am hating digital amps right now. The next amp I buy WILL be analog and tube.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by bored_maniac33

another masterbation thread
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.