Hi guys, I'm posting on behalf of sum1udontno

He's wants a pedal which would be great for classic rock. His current amp is a fender blues jr. I've been recommending him the Vox Satchurator because of Joe's awesome tone which can be great for classic rock

Does he have a better alternative to this pedal for classic rock tones? (Less than 130 bucks)

Thank you guys
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
MI Audio Crunch Box FTW!!!!!!

seriously....

do it....

anyway, i have that it truly gives you that amazing overdriven marshall tone. you can usually find a blemished one for about 113$ on musicians friend or guitarcenter.

plus their are tons of videos (especially one by proguitarshop.com) where you can hear it. go to youtube (or tell your friend too) and listen to it.

hope that helps!

(btw, if he wants classic rock, then the satchurator will probly be overkill imo. it's meant for instrumental rock really)
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Instrumental rock is a genre now? o_o

EDIT: I mean, it has a specific tone?
Quote by Echoplex

Quote by KennethJay
Instrumental rock is a genre now? o_o

EDIT: I mean, it has a specific tone?

well, if you think about all of the big instrumental rock guys, they all basically you high gain with a good bit of delay. granted, they all each sound very unique, but they generally share those characteristics. now, on some songs, this formula may not necesarily be true, but in the big picture of things, that's what most people think of with instrumental rock: cranked amps, high gain, and lots o' delay.

of course, this is my own personal definition, so take all of this with a grain of salt

EDIT
In any case, the satchurator is a relatively high gain pedal, sure, it can do lower gain stuff, but that is not it's focus. idk, he may love it. but personally, i think that something in the range of the Crunch box would be much better for classic rock. ESPECIALLY if he likes to play Zeppelin, AC/DC, and any of the other big marshall bands
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Jan 11, 2009,
Hmm, that's pretty true. However, as my friend stated "joe's tone is the musical equivalent of sex". Which is really true in my opinion :P

Toning down the gain wouldn't be a good option on a classic rock sound with the Satchurator?

Also, I don't think he would want to buy anything used after the last incident he had >_>
Quote by Echoplex

Quote by KennethJay
Hmm, that's pretty true. However, as my friend stated "joe's tone is the musical equivalent of sex". Which is really true in my opinion :P

Toning down the gain wouldn't be a good option on a classic rock sound with the Satchurator?

Also, I don't think he would want to buy anything used after the last incident he had >_>

lol yea, joe's tone is quite awesome, he's a nice guy to boot (i've met him XD)

personally, i dont think so. it's meant to be a modern voiced pedal. i mean, it's great. i love the sounds that i've heard from it, but it is based off of a modern rock sound, not classic rock. Basically, it is much more akin to Joe's newer albums with the JSX amps than in the old days when all he did was crank the crap out of a marshal and plug in a tube driver and such in front of it.

lol blemished does not mean used. it means that it has a paint defect, that's it.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
So it isn't his signature fat sounding tone on the Satchurator?
Quote by Echoplex

Quote by KennethJay
So it isn't his signature fat sounding tone on the Satchurator?

no, his modern signature tone is on the satchurator. it is his pedal that he uses now. he had one on stage in amsterdam when i saw him in June. he designed that pedal to be a modern distortion pedal that he would use, and that other people could use too. if you listen to Professor Satchafunkalis and the Musterion of Rock you are hearing Satchurator tones

EDIT
lol isn't it ironic that both of our tags start with "t3h n00b"?

EDIT 2
btw, i'm off to bed, so yea. good luck!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Jan 11, 2009,
the satchurator is a high gain, modern pedal. while it does sound good for classic rock it isnt the best choice. a fulltone ocd would sound really nice and so would the mi audio blue boy deluxe. a blackstar ht-dist/ht-drive might also be a good option.
Where do you buy a fulltone ocd?
Quote by Echoplex

I have a Satchurator pedal. The thing I like about it is you can keep the gain very low and then you can kick on the "More" button and it's like having two channels.

I also owned an OCD and I think it's a great clean boost, but I found the overdrive sound to be unusual and not to my taste at all.

I also own a Fulltone GT-500, which I like a bit better than the OCD. The distortion is better and the overdrive section is good. Probably a better pedal for classic rock, though it's a bit more complex to dial in.
I vote for the Fulltone OCD.

The Crunch Box is good, but the OCD has a much nicer tone. Wayyy more harmonics, it sounds like an overdriven amp, not a pedal.
So... where do you buy a fulltone ocd? >_> Internet only?
Quote by Echoplex

I have a satchurator... I think it would be good for classic rock. Your tone remains colorful at the lower gain settings... you can turn down the gain and volume and volume on your guitar (which makes a huge difference) and sometimes you can barely tell it is on. It basically acts just like another tiny amp... if you don't overdrive it then its going to stay relatively clean, which is just fine for classic rock. It can in fact get more distorted than that, but I have a hard time saying that it is too distorted for classic rock... just turn the damn thing down if it is.
Well there's always the old classic rock standard of the tube screamer. Tell him to try an Ibanez TS-9 or Maxon OD-9. The Satchurator would also be quite nice and honestly has far more gain than the tube screamers.
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by bored_maniac33
MI Audio Crunch Box FTW!!!!!!

seriously....

do it....

anyway, i have that it truly gives you that amazing overdriven marshall tone. you can usually find a blemished one for about 113$ on musicians friend or guitarcenter.

plus their are tons of videos (especially one by proguitarshop.com) where you can hear it. go to youtube (or tell your friend too) and listen to it.

hope that helps!

(btw, if he wants classic rock, then the satchurator will probly be overkill imo. it's meant for instrumental rock really)

The Satchurator isn't really overkill for much of anything, which is why Satriani wanted "more" from it. They ended up sticking a "more" switch on there that when pressed, it delivers an extra bit of distortion. If you turn this off, the gain down, and the tone up, it sounds very nice with classic rock. It's definitely one of the best distortion pedals I've messed with, if not the absolute best. Great, clean tone, and the gain & tone controls are very versatile.