I have space left for one more pedal on my pedal board and I would like some recommendations on what to get.

Pedalboard now:
GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-20 Gigadelay
EH LPB-1 Boost
Boss TU-2 Tuner

I was thinking about a compressor. I like my amps distortion so I don't need a distortion or OD.
So, what do you recommend?
Fender Mexi. Strat w/ Lace Sensor Golds
Schecter C-1 Classic
Breedlove AD-25 SR Plus

GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-20 Gigadelay
EH LPB-1 Boost
Boss TU-2 Tuner

Peavey Valveking 112
with Eminence Private Jack Speaker
How 'bout an EQ?
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by abcdboy
How 'bout an EQ?

Yeah get an EQ.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
hmm... havent thought about an eq. whats a good one?
Schecter C-1 Classic
Breedlove AD-25 SR Plus

GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-20 Gigadelay
EH LPB-1 Boost
Boss TU-2 Tuner

Peavey Valveking 112
I have a boss eq and i do not like it much with my current amp(solid state). For some reason it cuts out my distortion.

I would go with the compression pedal or the eq but not a boss.
Is it cutting distortion cause you're cutting out with the eq?

And I've heard good things about the MXR.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
EQ pedals I find are a bit useless, if you are even semi-skilled at guitar, you should be able to dial a decent tone into your amp without some unnecessary pedal to help you.

I'd recommend a phaser, they are always a good effect to have spare and always sound good when used in the right places. Go for an MXR Phase 90 (the Maxon Phaser is also good).
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
EQ pedals I find are a bit useless, if you are even semi-skilled at guitar, you should be able to dial a decent tone into your amp without some unnecessary pedal to help you.

I guess they are quite useful if you want to fine tune your tone for playing lead or have a two channel amp with a shared EQ, in which case you'd probably want to boost different frequencies for the sound you want.

An EQ would serve you well if you need it, a compressor would be quite nice too. You could look for a flanger or a phaser if you'd like one. I guess it's down to what you play.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by IncubusMan999

I'd recommend a phaser, they are always a good effect to have spare and always sound good when used in the right places. Go for an MXR Phase 90 (the Maxon Phaser is also good).

Not everyone one has an Orange Rockerverb mate.
This i know, but I find that with even the worst amp, that getting an EQ is like patching up a flat tyre, why spend more money on trying to make something out of nothing, I'd rather save for a better amp in that case. And since this guy has a Valveking, which are not the best, but decent, why would he need an EQ? rhcp_freak makes the most valid point, but as far as EQ goes, I personally think he should spend his money on something more useful, he has a linear booster for solo boosts.

Actually TS, I think you should invest in a nice overdrive, I can give you a list of some great ones if you like. Even though you say you don't need one, they are definitely helpful for when you need a bit more crunch in a live situation but you also sound like you know what you are doing as well, so go a phaser or something that gives you more modulation options.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Yeah an OD may be good too. I really don't want an eq. I had an MXR EVH phase 90 and didnt use it much so I sold it. I don't like a really heavily modulated sound.

So, basically I'm deciding between an overdrive or compressor.

What are some good ones of each?

In the valveking thread all you see is bad monkey but, I think they are just using it as a clean boost to tighten things up with the gain on zero and level on 10. I want an OD for a good OD tone. A TS-9, maybe? I'm not a metal player, more blues and classic rock.

I've also heard good things about the MXR Dynacomp and Super comp. Any better yet not ridiculously expensive compressors?
Schecter C-1 Classic
Breedlove AD-25 SR Plus

GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-20 Gigadelay
EH LPB-1 Boost
Boss TU-2 Tuner

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by pac108 at Jan 11, 2009,
Or get something useful like a fuzz or reverb.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by pac108
Y
What are some good ones of each?

In the valveking thread all you see is bad monkey but, I think they are just using it as a clean boost to tighten things up with the gain on zero and level on 10. I want an OD for a good OD tone. A TS-9, maybe? I'm not a metal player, more blues and classic rock.

I've also heard good things about the MXR Dynacomp and Super comp. Any better yet not ridiculously expensive compressors?

Personally mate, I hate compressors and think an OD would be more useful, but nevertheless, that is a little bit biased due to personal taste. Retro-Sonic have a good compressor that isn't too steep, as do Emma. The Dyna Comp is probably the safe option for most, but if you really feel like getting something good, both Keeley and Demeter make great compressors.

As for bluesy overdrives, there are 967913498 overdrives that will do the job. have a browse through here: http://au.youtube.com/profile?user=ProGuitarShopDemos&view=videos

And your intuition is correct, don't get a Bad Monkey. They are raved about here, but they are really nothing special and are ridiculously over-rated.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by xwearesinking
Or get something useful like a fuzz or reverb.

He did say he was happy with his amp's dirty channel, and a reverb is not that handy, he could do it with his delay.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
He did say he was happy with his amp's dirty channel, and a reverb is not that handy, he could do it with his delay.

Fail and fail.

Fuzz sounds nothing like OD/Distortion.

Reverb is nothing like delay, besides the fact that they are time based.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I know very well what fuzz sounds like, I have owned 2 and played over 50. If the dude is happy with the tone he getting from his dirty channel, why would he need an alternative?

Reverb is often obsolete, due to the fact it is more often than not on amps and is fairly useless considering most environments naturally have sound reverberation anyway. They are good for recording and that's about it, not to mention that most studios have plug-ins for reverb anyway. If you have ever played an analog, or even a digital delay pedal, you'll find that they do add a certain natural colour to the tone that makes it feel more spacious.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
I know very well what fuzz sounds like, I have owned 2 and played over 50. If the dude is happy with the tone he getting from his dirty channel, why would he need an alternative?

Reverb is often obsolete, due to the fact it is more often than not on amps and is fairly useless considering most environments naturally have sound reverberation anyway. They are good for recording and that's about it, not to mention that most studios have plug-ins for reverb anyway. If you have ever played an analog, or even a digital delay pedal, you'll find that they do add a certain natural colour to the tone that makes it feel more spacious.

..depending on what you're doing. I don't think the TS mentioned what type of music he played. Have you ever used a reverb pedal with a high mix setting and very long decay time in conjunction with a volume swell? Not the same as delay at all. Amp reverb generally isn't all too great for anything besides very subtle stuff, especially on something like a Valveking.

Well, if he's happy with his tone, why would he get an EQ? I'm just giving him options - it never hurts to be versitile.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last edited by xwearesinking at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by xwearesinking
Amp reverb generally isn't all too great for anything besides very subtle stuff, especially on something like a Valveking.

yeah the reverb on the valveking sucks but I'm not looking for a whole lot of reverb.

I'm not looking for a fuzz tone either. So I'll prolly be getting an OD.
Schecter C-1 Classic
Breedlove AD-25 SR Plus

GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-20 Gigadelay
EH LPB-1 Boost
Boss TU-2 Tuner

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by IncubusMan999
I know very well what fuzz -blahblahblah- feel more spacious.

Sorry to go off topic here....but your band is freaking AMAZING!!

I bow down to you sir.
I'd get a compressor or an EQ
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Why not both? Try out the Visual Sound Route 66 - it has a compressor and overdrive (TS9 clone I think). Pedal is pretty big though.
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2