I decided I wanted to learn, and I picked up a used one for like $60. Obviously I know its nothing special, but its something to learn on.

anyway I was just wondering if anyone had any info on it.

on the back right below the neck, the name "Stainer" is engraved. inside it says "Jacobus stainer in Abss prope Oeniponlum 1665" and on the tag it says " #45 dark brown french style. probably some stainer copy, but Im nobody to say for sure, just what I've read online.

Its got one fine tuner on the High E. Was damaged and repaired in the past, got a set of strings, case, a new bow and some rosin with it.

so what do you guys think? I dont really know anything about violins other than that they're tuned the same as a mandolin :p

all I wanted it for was a first violin to learn on, so yeah, I know its probably crappy, but hey, I didnt drop a lot of money on something Im gonna make screaching cat noises on for the next couple months lol
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Jan 11, 2009,
Plug it into a Line 6 Spyder 3 and you'll be set.

But yeah congrats on not being a dick and buying an expensive instrument and then proceeding to destroy it.

I'm serious,
people who start out on nice instruments make me angry...
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Definitely take some lessons to start you off with violin.
It's easier to be self-taught with mandolin, but with violin you'll need some help to get going.
That's been my personal experience anyway :S
Awesome thats what john petrucci started out on before his dad let him play a guitar
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
I used to play violin! Lessons would help.

Some tips: You'll want a Cune, (I think they're called...) they go on the back of the violin to make you hold it against your shoulder and chin the right way.

Second: When you tune, use the little metal things near the bridge, not the tuners at the end of the neck.

And finally, you'll want to find the exact four spots on the neck where the notes are. Then, buy some of these little label-sticker things they sell to lay across the neck and stick down so you will know where to put your fingers. i will find pictures later.

Hope this helps! It's been a while, so i don't remember all the names... but i did the best.

Quote by mitch311
Awesome thats what john petrucci started out on before his dad let him play a guitar

Luckily he killed them in time.
Quote by MandoDrew
Definitely take some lessons to start you off with violin.
It's easier to be self-taught with mandolin, but with violin you'll need some help to get going.
That's been my personal experience anyway :S

I will if I can, I've got a little help to get going. anyone think its a bad instrument to get started on?

but yeah, I know this is a guitar site, I just figured somebody would know anyway.

now... any idea how I can get this thing tuned accurately? I dont have a great tuner for this matter, and get-tuned.com only has the sounds of it being bowed, and it would be much easier for me to just pluck it while tuning, just faster seeing as I only have 1 fine tuner, and the rest are stiff traditional tuners (well they're made of metal, but yeah, they're still difficult to turn)

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
I used to play violin! Lessons would help.

Some tips: You'll want a Cune, (I think they're called...) they go on the back of the violin to make you hold it against your shoulder and chin the right way.

Second: When you tune, use the little metal things near the bridge, not the tuners at the end of the neck.

I planned on getting a cune, but I can hold it right without one with some effort.

and I already mentioned I only have a fine tuner on the high E, but hell, the thing isnt as difficult to manage as a floyd rose, so I'll be fine using the tuners.

when I get some more cash, I guess I could buy some more fine tuners but its not my first priority right now
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Jan 11, 2009,
good call getting a kun. I had a shoulder rest (not a kun brand name, but it worked all the same) when I played and I was so glad I did.
loosen the bow before putting it back in the case. honestly, I can't remember why, but I definitely remember being told that.
sorry, I have no idea about that violin.
as far as tuning, you can tune a violin by ear like you can a guitar. the 4 finger of the G, D, and A strings (the lower 3) should be the same as the next string up (4th finger on G is D and should sound the same as the open D string). of course you still need a string in tune to do that. if you look online I'm pretty sure there are online tuners that will just play a standard tone.
Quote by sneyob
But yeah congrats on not being a dick and buying an expensive instrument and then proceeding to destroy it.

I'm serious,
people who start out on nice instruments make me jealous...

I fixed it for you.

no need to thank me, it's what I do.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.