Page 1 of 2
Which band are the most musically proficient (in your humble opinion)?
Last edited by Microshaft22 at Jan 11, 2009,
Im gonna say Rush
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
it's like impossible to name a band that's the most proficient with any amount of confidence in your answer....there are SO many bands.
inb4 dragonforce
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
The world of music is far too diverse to even begin to answer that question.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Estradasphere.
Life is lame so let me eat your brain
one made up entirely of session musicians?

or some phillharmonic somewhere?
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Jacob6293
The world of music is far too diverse to even begin to answer that question.

ill redefine...

band i.e more than 1 person, and the idea is to identify an equal amount of musicianship with each member, which when brought together merge with the ability to project melody harmony and rhythm the best as a whole.
Dream Theater. Not a fan of some of their writing, but those guys can play.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
Dream Theater. Not a fan of some of their writing, but those guys can play.

technical proficiancy is not necessarily the same as musical proficiency by the way
dream theater would be up there, but then they would have to worry bout fall out boy...
GEAR -
Gibson Les Paul VOS '57 gold top
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
Opeth is pretty good.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by Microshaft22
technical proficiancy is not necessarily the same as musical proficiency by the way

yeah, but their musical proficiency is outstanding as well. They can really play most popular rock-based music thats out there. Note their covers of various Pink Floyd, Metallica, Muse, Zeppelin, etc.... if theres a rock/metal/blues/jazz/whatever song out there worth playing, chances are DT can play it, and well.

They also compose some excellent original material.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
yeah, images and words is an awesome album, and theres a bootleg album of the playing Maiden's number of the beast album pretty damb well
GEAR -
Gibson Les Paul VOS '57 gold top
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
the trio that john scofield put together for the his album "Enroute".
anyone that can make free jazz/hard bop sound effortless gets my vote. incredible album, everyone should check it out.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Dream theater.

You've got a guitarist, bassist and drummer who met at Berkeley (sp?) college of music, a world reknowned keyboardist, and a professionally trained singer who still has impressive range and control after having ****ed his vocal chords up a couple times, including permanent damage.
black sabbath... ****in killer riffs, groovy bass lines, insane drumming and interesting lyrics... bassically the best band evaaar
Quote by doom3rulz
Dream Theater?

Dream Theater
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
I'd have to say Yes. Just listen to 'Close to the Edge'
Bristol Rovers

Up the Gas!

Please, call me Joe.
in terms of vocals its King Diamond hands down. guitar would probably be Joe Satriani or Yngwie Malmsteen. idk about bass or drums. maybe CoB or Dimmu Borgir for drums.
Viking/Folk Metal Group <--Join!
Quote by telemonster
I dont get the whole EMO thing.....kinda like vountering to get your ass kicked.

Quote by Night_Lights
What idiot puts Randy Rhoads and Dimebag above Hendrix in any guitar list?
Quote by Guitarlord44
well they were both better than hendrix
Quote by Poomaster
Between the Buried and Me?

Not the most proficiant, but definitely up there with the best. The most proficiant is Dream Theater, IMO.

I'd take Queensryche over Dream Theater/Theatre any day.
Also like my Yes,Rush, Tool, Pallas, Dragonland, Genesis, Zappa

You mess with the flag, you're still a spade
Last edited by figerade at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by Another bassist
it's like impossible to name a band that's the most proficient with any amount of confidence in your answer....there are SO many bands.

*Looks at feet*

Hey you sigged me! I didn't even know. Lol

Heh, its like I fathered a kid that I didn't even know about,
what next, gonna try get support payments or something?

On topic:
Yeah its really hard to answer TS question, I think we'd be better off going by genre.

For Prog rock, I'd say either, Tool or Pink Floyd.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
radiohead?
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Not gonna get much support with this but...

Toto

Mostly because they've all been very saught after studio-musicans at one point or another. It's hard to pick up a record produced in L.A during the eighties and not find one of the guys in the credits.

Sadly they broke up last year...
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
A few by genre:
Prog: Dream Theater (Berklee students, a talented keyboardist and a pro trained singer)
Metal: Trivium (Guitarists who can both shred, Drummer is insane, Bass not too shabby)
Rock: Coheed and Cambria (Claudio's voice is unparalled, Both guitarists can play, Mic Todd is an animal and Chris Pennie is a ****ing machine.)
The buttercream gang
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
I'd say Dream Theater, Opeth or Rush. Oh, and +1 for Toto!
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
coltrane quintent

or the parker group that played koko, I mean someone being able to do that really memorable trumpet solo and then sprint behind the keys was great.

I took musically proficient to mean the best with theoritical knowledge of music, technical ability, and the ability to mold these things. They might not necessairly create the best music though
Quote by petterblo
Not gonna get much support with this but...

Toto

Mostly because they've all been very saught after studio-musicans at one point or another. It's hard to pick up a record produced in L.A during the eighties and not find one of the guys in the credits.

Sadly they broke up last year...

They definitely have to up there with the top few, even though I'm not a massive fan of their music.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Rush.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Protest The Hero=win

and don't argue :P

Guitar=insane, drumming=insane, bass=groovy as hell, vocals=angelic singing, devil-like growling

Basically, pure win
Quote by whiteraven119
My new hero. Anyone willing to use lethal martial arts against hxc kids is amazing.

That's me

Quote by jaridv1
my penis has a restraining order against me because i beat it

Page 1 of 2