I'm having a little confusion with which method of learning intervals would be best. I will briefly explain the two separate approaches then you let me know which one i need to grasp onto.

1. memorize all the intervals within a major scale (1 to 2 is a whole step, 2 to 4 is a minor 3rd, 5 to 7 is a major 3rd, etc). Then figure out what those intervals look like, shape wise, on the guitar between all strings, including the G and B strings, where the interval is a major 3rd instead of a perfect 4th, like all the others.

and/or

2. Memorize the intervals relative to a root note IE. 2 frets up from the root note is a Ma2 or 5 frets up is a P4 etc.

So which approach do you think i should give a floggin ?

Thanks, Chris
Last edited by furph at Jan 11, 2009,
First and second.

You need to know all separate intervals (for non diatonic chord/harmony work)

and you need to know the intervals of the major scale, because of it's importance in our (western) music.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
TS - you're missing the most important thing about intervals...what they sound like. If you don't learn that then everything else is moot.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
TS - you're missing the most important thing about intervals...what they sound like. If you don't learn that then everything else is moot.

I'd love to be moot.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I'd love to be moot.

I'd love to know what it means
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I'd love to know what it means

You know 4chan?
The man who created it is called M00t.
I learnt them as a combination of both methods. It's also important, as someone already said (can't be bothered to go back and check :p to learn how each interval sounds.
definitly need to what they should sound like i agree! I have been doing 2 hours ear training each day for 3 months now. Thats why i was starting to look into memorizing their positions.
Moot means arguing doesn't it? A moot point can be argued...well, that's what my girlfriend reckons haha.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Moot means arguing doesn't it? A moot point can be argued...well, that's what my girlfriend reckons haha.

youre rigth, hes talking some 4chan bs lol. but yeah, learn both, the second one first. thats what I did, and it really helps.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
I love plugging my own lessons in.

But yeah, for a guitar-oriented guide to identifying and learning intervals.... check my signature. The second method you mentioned is way more efficient. With the 2nd method comes the first method through practice. The lesson in my signature does an awesome job of giving examples and a description of every interval from unison to octave.
Hey coffeeguy, thankyou for the the headsup! Just printed me a copy of the interval lesson. Im gonna study it carefully.