Hey guys,
I have a question about strings with Floyd Rose. Do you need to buy specific strings for the floyd rose? I have "normal strings", but I think that you don't put the ball end in a Floyd Rose, so can you just just cut it off and go from there?

Also, when you change string guages, do you need to adjust the Floyd Rose in any way? I heard you have to heighten/lower it or something...

Thanks a lot.
yeah, you can use regular strings, just cut the ball end off. If you're changing string gauge you will probably need to re-set the bridge, by tightening / loosening the springs at the back.. there are many guides on the internet (probably even some on this site)

i put the ball end through the machine head, it looks kind of cool or something *shrug*
You don't necessarily need to cut off the ball ends. Some people including myself string it backwards. Meaning you leave the ball ends at the tuning posts and just cut your string at the fine tuners. Here's a good example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwNVjNohOt4
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
You don't necessarily need to cut off the ball ends. Some people including myself string it backwards. Meaning you leave the ball ends at the tuning posts and just cut your string at the fine tuners. Here's a good example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwNVjNohOt4

This is arguably easier than going to the trouble of cutting the ball-ends off. Try out that method.
The reason you'd need to re-set the bridge is because (for example) a heavier set of strings in standard tuning will be pulling harder on the bridge than thin strings in standard tuning.
If you went from .09s to .11s, your bridge wouldn't be flush against the body anymore, which other than looking bad, isn't good for the guitar, and will also change the action and intonation as well.

This also happens when changing tunings; if you tune from E standard to D standard, the strings will be less taut, therefore making the bridge sink down into the cavity.
It's not too hard to change the spring tension yourself; just Google it and there should be a few lessons on changing gauge and tuning with a FR bridge.
Member of the Laney Cult