I had an idea for a finish I wanna do to my guitar, but I don't know if it's possible, or what I might need for it.

I'd like the body to look black, but on sunlight or a closer have a purple-ish tone/glow to it. As far as I'm concerned it is possible to do, but I was just wondering how, since my grasp of english terms for paint jobs isn't too tight.

I'm asking for any help or resources here you can give me.

Thanks in advance!
So an irishman walks out of a bar.
Quote by rancidryan
ultimate finishing/ painting thread

...since my grasp of english terms for paint jobs isn't too tight.

Thanks for reading my post.
Like a Chameleon (sp?) finish?

I've read how to do one somewhere
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Lobsterdeth
I had an idea for a finish I wanna do to my guitar, but I don't know if it's possible, or what I might need for it.

I'd like the body to look black, but on sunlight or a closer have a purple-ish tone/glow to it. As far as I'm concerned it is possible to do, but I was just wondering how, since my grasp of english terms for paint jobs isn't too tight.

I'm asking for any help or resources here you can give me.

Thanks in advance!

Pearl or Metallic black base coat with a Purple Candy coat over the top.

Chameleon paint is uber expensive and you can't really get it in small amounts.
Hm, I might try the Pearl Black and Purple Candy one.

Thanks a ton!
Quote by Skeet UK
Pearl or Metallic black base coat with a Purple Candy coat over the top.

This.

That would work to what you asked for

Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
This.

That would work to what you asked for

Pretty much. Out of the light, the body would appear "dark", certainly, but with light on it, the Pearl or flake will glint though the purple candy.

Alternatively, you could try this.

Black base coat, with a silver/white marbalizer, with purple candy over the top.

Might look like this.

Or this:

The marbalizer makes the purple more obvious, so a standard black metallic or pearl base coat, would be much less purple, but I can't find a pic of one at the moment!

Ahh..here we go.

Fellow bike painter here has something.

Ths is a black base with purple candy. Ignore the air brushing, if you look to the right hand side, it is much darker out of the light but very purple in the light.

If you went for a pearl or metallic base, then you would get the same effect, but with sparkle.

Of course, this is all fine and dandy, but if you don't have the right kit, then you cant use the right paint and lacquer, so you won't be able to do it

You have to make sure, that your prep work (primer etc) is perfect, PERFECT! Otherwise any imperfections will stick out like a sore thumb once you have lacquered it.

Note, this is not a "flip" paint style, just a candy (see through) style. Flip paint, will change change as you move the object around, like a chameleon, but less colours.
Chameleon, is actually a House of Kolor paint and is spelt, Kameleon. They have something against "C", so replace it with a "K", Kameleon, Kosmic, Kandy, Klear and so on
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jan 11, 2009,

That looks amazing
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust

That looks amazing

woah...

did you do that?
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
woah...

did you do that?

No, but I found that and have done similar since then. It's actually quite easy. You only have to mask up once!

I just left out the stars (miles easier, coz they need to be done on a Vinyl plotter cutter) because I'm from the UK, so red white and blue goes, minus the stars.
Quote by Skeet UK
No, but I found that and have done similar since then. It's actually quite easy. You only have to mask up once!

I just left out the stars (miles easier, coz they need to be done on a Vinyl plotter cutter) because I'm from the UK, so red white and blue goes, minus the stars.

Yeep

Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Skeet UK
words words

words

Uh that purple looks a bit too bright for me...
In that case, just try a black base with a Purple Pearl over that, then clear coat it.